openvix development cycle

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I copied specific tuner settings out of /etc/enigma2/settings file and put them back in under Zeus. Channel list was backed up using Dreamset and restored...

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Is this Zeus 023 available via the receiver (i.e. a software upgrade)
Yes. But anyway when there are version changes setting up from scratch doesn't take long. As long as you save your tuner config from settings and send that and your bouquet list to the box you can be up and running in less than 5 minutes.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Yes. But anyway when there are version changes setting up from scratch doesn't take long. As long as you save your tuner config from settings and send that and your bouquet list to the box you can be up and running in less than 5 minutes.

Thanks for that Huevos, what I really should have asked was that if I upgraded would that upgrade recognise and load backups I'd made and stored on the box?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
It will allow you to restore settings back-ups from Zeus. But no need to worry about that if you are doing an online upgrade, because that happens automatically. The only time there is a problem is when a user reflashes the box and tries to use a settings backup from an incompatible version.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Ah, it all becomes clear. Looking forward to Helios :)

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
No. Have you never heard the expression "Le roi est mort, vive le roi".

Yes, but here not since 1789.......and that was just, "Le roi est mort".....

A

Archive-8

Does that mean they have stopped altogether or will some thing else be in the pipeline for the vu duo ect?

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Does that mean they have stopped altogether or will some thing else be in the pipeline for the vu duo ect?
According to my reading of the WOS forum, it's just Zeus that is being abandoned. A new version - Helios - should be out in a day or so. Apparently the developers, God love 'em, were deliberately tight-lipped as part of a kind of joke to see what people's reactions would be....

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
So.....in early March I changed over to Zeus....the other night I upgraded to it's final version......and now (just about 30 days after Zeus) there's yet another new build image?.....bet this one won't support back ups from Zeus either......I don't think I'll be going onto Helios yet.....I'll wait till they develop Icarus.......

A

Archive-8

It's the auto run after a day or so it just hangs all day. What boot loader should I be using? It's cfe 3.0.0

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
What are you downloading with Cross?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
I just use the EPG plug in that loads with the image and get pretty well every EPG I can across 16 satellites. I never have any issues with it. Is Cross EPG something different and if so, what 'extras' does it have?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Sorry but I had to go back to build 750... Aspect ratio cannot be adjusted on 4:3 transmissions to stretch to 16:9. Sure, the option is there but it does nothing. Also, aspect ratio switch plugin no longer works either due to the new AVswitch module.

We'll see what the new image brings.

Pheonix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7020
My Location
uk
So.....in early March I changed over to Zeus....the other night I upgraded to it's final version......and now (just about 30 days after Zeus) there's yet another new build image?.....bet this one won't support back ups from Zeus either......I don't think I'll be going onto Helios yet.....I'll wait till they develop Icarus.......

Zeus was a total rewrite and a new core which is why it had to be a total reflash with no settings backups used, this is also why it took nearly four months to release after the last ViX 3.0 series image.

Helios was unfortunately due to a recent merge with the latest OE (Open Embedded), This contained a hell of a lot of fixes including one for the heartbleed bug which in turn affected almost every other part of the image due to dependencies, It was not our plan to make a new image so soon after Zeus but for security reasons we though it better to do the update now rather than be caught with our pants down with this heartbleed bug.

we had to release Helios because after the merge with the new OE it was no longer possible to update Zeus without affecting pretty much every aspect of the image and rather than users ignore our request not to use the online update we decided to take that option out of their hands. You can however use a settings backup from Zeus in Helios without issue, but not from ViX 3.0 that version is just too out dated to be compatible with any image now being used or worked on.