openvix development cycle

Pheonix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7020
My Location
uk
6 or 7 providers.

Thats you'r problem there, CrossEPG is known to resource hungry, which why there the image creates a automated swap file when CrossEPG kicks in, but using so many providers can easily grind it to a halt.

Pheonix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7020
My Location
uk
Sorry but I had to go back to build 750... Aspect ratio cannot be adjusted on 4:3 transmissions to stretch to 16:9. Sure, the option is there but it does nothing. Also, aspect ratio switch plugin no longer works either due to the new AVswitch module.

We'll see what the new image brings.

some 4:3 content is just not meant to be stretched, this is a limitation by the broadcaster who hard codes it that way, for example old episodes of the Simposns broadcast on sky1 HD, it is not a limitation of the image.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
This is on SD channels broadcast in true 4:3 format... Not in 16:9 with black side bars.

I posted about this issue on WOS but the bug (and it is a bug) wasn't acknowledged.

Still, I am happy with 3.0 build and see no reason to upgrade or change images as it's stable as a rock.

Pheonix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7020
My Location
uk
Cant say i have noticed my self, but then again i have not watched much TV recently. funny that I have some 15 plus receivers and on average i watch maybe a hour of TV a week.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
OK - have taken the plunge with Helios. Back up and running within about 20 minutes (last image was an 808 so couldn't restore settings), although I haven't readded all the satellites yet. Am very happy to see "blindscan" listed as a search option :) Thanks again to all those concerned for the sterling work!

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
HB can you check whether real 4:3 SD channels can be stretched to 16:9 please? It works on 750 build but not Zeus. Wondered if the bug has been moved across to Helios or whether it's fixed...

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
HB can you check whether real 4:3 SD channels can be stretched to 16:9 please? It works on 750 build but not Zeus. Wondered if the bug has been moved across to Helios or whether it's fixed...
Can you give me an example of a channel, please, so that we don't end up talking at cross-purposes :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Can you give me an example of a channel, please, so that we don't end up talking at cross-purposes :)
Thanks HB.

Try this one. RTR on Hot Bird (11034V 27500 3/4) - will have PLANETA RTR logo at the top. If you could try cycling through various options in A/V settings, that would be great.

For example, the "display 4:3 content as" option "pillarbox" will show original 4:3 aspect with black bars on the side. "Just scale" will stretch it to fill the screen but losing the aspect ratio, "non-linear" seems to be the same as "just scale" and "pan&scan" should zoom into a picture, filling the screen and keeping the aspect ratio.

These options don't appear to do anything in Zeus... but 16:9 ones allow you to either zoom or display original 4:3 aspect. This leads me to believe that Zeus recognises 4:3 video as 16:9.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
For example, the "display 4:3 content as" option "pillarbox" will show original 4:3 aspect with black bars on the side. "Just scale" will stretch it to fill the screen but losing the aspect ratio, "non-linear" seems to be the same as "just scale" and "pan&scan" should zoom into a picture, filling the screen and keeping the aspect ratio.

CJ, just cycled through these and it displayed exactly as you've written it should. Running Zeus but on a VU+ Solo...though that shouldn't make a difference should it?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Very strange... must be a driver issue then.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Helios works the same as Zeus, just as it should on the Ultimo. The latest image has the latest drivers from Vu+.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I moved to OpenPLI 4 - mainly due to some shocking attitude from some of WOS forum staff. No problems with aspect ratio there or any of the plugins that used to work in OpenVIX v3 but do not in Zeus..

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Can you post a link?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Doesn't matter. It was only one person (Rob) who ground my gears and not the first time.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Thanks HB.

Try this one. RTR on Hot Bird (11034V 27500 3/4) - will have PLANETA RTR logo at the top. If you could try cycling through various options in A/V settings, that would be great.

These options don't appear to do anything in Zeus... but 16:9 ones allow you to either zoom or display original 4:3 aspect. This leads me to believe that Zeus recognises 4:3 video as 16:9.
Sorry for the late reply - been away for a few days. These options all appear to work fine for me, although "non-linear" doesn't exist. With "pillarbox" there are black bars on all four sides - not sure if this is what you meant or not.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
I've been up and running with Helios for just over a week now: is more stable than the last image I used (808) and the whole experience is more polished. I had an initial problem when I lost tuner settings when going from build 003 to a later one (via opkg upgrade), but subsequent updates (via the interface, but am aware that it does the same thing as opkg upgrade) have been fine. There are also up-to-date cam etc plugins available. Thanks again to all the developers concerned - sterling work.