openvix development cycle

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Hi - I run OpenVix on my Solo2, which I try to keep up-to-date as best I can. Eventually I got bored with the reflashing and subsequent configuration tweaks and plugin reinstallation, so now I run opkg update + upgrade on a regular basis. However - nothing new has come in for a while. If I look at the list of image downloads hxxp://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php I see nothing new since 21 December 2013. Normally there is a new image if not every week then at least a few times a month. I can't see anything relevant (OK - I haven't *found* anything relevant) on the world of satellite forums. Does anyone know if they're gearing up for a official release?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
HB, I also run OpenVix on my Solo, last time I tried a download software update (as opposed to flashing with a mem stick) it caused all sorts of issues. I don't know if there is a major fix in the offing and am running on an image which goes back three or four releases. I don't go on their forum anymore as it insists on you changing your password every ninety days now and I have enough problems remembering the one I do use everywhere else....

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
I don't go on their forum anymore as it insists on you changing your password every ninety days now and I have enough problems remembering the one I do use everywhere else....
I have the same issue :) (and the same solution.... ie not bothering)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Does anyone know if they're gearing up for a official release?
Last official build is 3.0.808. Lots of updates on Github since then, just no official builds. If there is something that has been added to the image since then that you want to use you could always build your own unofficial image from the git. Otherwise you just need to wait a little bit longer.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Last official build is 3.0.808. Lots of updates on Github since then, just no official builds. If there is something that has been added to the image since then that you want to use you could always build your own unofficial image from the git. Otherwise you just need to wait a little bit longer.
Thanks - I fear if I started building my own images I'd start tinkering and end up doing in the evenings pretty much what I do for my day job :) There isn't anything specific I need, I just wondered why the updates had dried up, both for images and update packages.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Openvix is a fairly complete, stable image, so there's nothing I actually want updating there!

thecaretaker

Reaction score
Website
www.thecaretakers.net
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo, Duo2
85cm Fracarro Penta dish
Inverto BLACK Ultra QUAD
My Location
South East Coast, England
The reason for the silence is they are working on a new software version based on OE-Alliance 2. I read a hint from Phoenix's post which said...

For the most part you should not notice any major difference other than a new bootscreen, the main difference is that we are now using a totally new, updated build environment ( OE-Alliance 2 ), built by and for the OE-Alliance with no reliance on Pli. Our enigma2 is still loosely based on pli.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
I'm downloading it but will keep the older version handy just in case. I'm sure it works fine Huevos, but I'm naturally cautious. Are there any major changes or is it just minor things?

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
It's been thoroughly tested and works fine.
I work in software development. I've learnt never, ever to trust a statement like this :) "Tested and works fine" is one thing. "Tested by 10s of 000s of users in real-world conditions over a non-trivial period of time and works fine" is something else entirely.

Example: each version of Windows undergoes extensive testing on varied hardware by legions of testers before it's released into the wild, but woe betide the end-user who dares install it on their own hardware before the first fixpack arrives.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I'm naturally cautious. Are there any major changes or is it just minor things?
Mainly under the hood stuff, plus lots of minor things. Also things that you need a modern twin tuner receiver to have access to, like download EPG while viewing, and PiP-zap. Lots of little things done over a couple of months add up to quite some change.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I have installed the update for the tm nano, and now its just stuck in a booting loop lmao:-doh.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I work in software development. I've learnt never, ever to trust a statement like this :) "Tested and works fine" is one thing. "Tested by 10s of 000s of users in real-world conditions over a non-trivial period of time and works fine" is something else entirely.

Example: each version of Windows undergoes extensive testing on varied hardware by legions of testers before it's released into the wild, but woe betide the end-user who dares install it on their own hardware before the first fixpack arrives.
Mate, it does work fine and it is thoroughly tested. This is software for watching tv, not doing a moon landing. And anyway even with a huge budget land testing like Proton it's still possible to turn 300 million € worth of hardware into scrap in a matter of seconds. Not so here. If you find a problem report it and it will be sorted.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I have installed the update for the tm nano, and now its just stuck in a booting loop lmao:-doh.
And did you flash the latest TM bootloader before the image?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Sadly Huevos I tried several times to get it to load this evening without success. Just won't boot. Maybe I need a new bootloader for the Solo?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
And did you flash the latest TM bootloader before the image?
No huevos, I just flashed the image, i did not see any information about using the tm bootloader ?.