Operating Frequency ( GHz ) on Prodelin & Patriot Dishes

ynot62

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi
I was looking at Prodelin & Patriots Dishes Operating Frequency (GHz) and I saw that it is on Ku-Band 10.95 - 12.75 GHz
I got very confused cause BBC Digital Channels are on 10.773 H, 10.788 V and so on....
Do these frequencies (10.773 H, 10.788 V and so on) have anything to do with Operating Frequency of Prodelin & Patriot Dishes (on Ku-Band 10.95 - 12.75 GHz) ?
Probably I am wrong but if these Operating Frequency (on Ku-Band 10.95 - 12.75 GHz) they dont go lower then 10.95 GHz, would I get the impossibility of getting BBC Digital Channels?
My problem is that I dont know if the Operating Frequency (Ku-Band 10.95 - 12.75 GHz) and The BBC Digital Channels Frequency (10.773 H, 10.788 V and so on) are the same thing.
I got very confused cause I saw the IRTE Dish Operating Frequency and it says on Ku-band is 10.7 - 12.75 GHz.
Can anybody help me to understand more?
Thank You
So much
Tony

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
ynot62 said:
Hi
I was looking at Prodelin & Patriots Dishes Operating Frequency (GHz) and I saw that it is on Ku-Band 10.95 - 12.75 GHz
I got very confused cause BBC Digital Channels are on 10.773 H, 10.788 V and so on....
Do these frequencies (10.773 H, 10.788 V and so on) have anything to do with Operating Frequency of Prodelin & Patriot Dishes (on Ku-Band 10.95 - 12.75 GHz) ?
Probably I am wrong but if these Operating Frequency (on Ku-Band 10.95 - 12.75 GHz) they dont go lower then 10.95 GHz, would I get the impossibility of getting BBC Digital Channels?
My problem is that I dont know if the Operating Frequency (Ku-Band 10.95 - 12.75 GHz) and The BBC Digital Channels Frequency (10.773 H, 10.788 V and so on) are the same thing.
I got very confused cause I saw the IRTE Dish Operating Frequency and it says on Ku-band is 10.7 - 12.75 GHz.
Can anybody help me to understand more?
Thank You
So much
Tony

Well Tony I would expect the 'operating' frequency range of a dish, as quoted by the manufacturer, to mean just that - i.e. the frequency range it is designed to receive the satellite/s on. Those frequencies are then down-converted by the LNB. I believe the Ku-band to be 10.7-12.75 GHz, and if a particular dish only designed to receive 10.9-12.75 GHz then it might also receive 10.7-10.89 GHz, but perhaps with less good perfomance. As you say for BBC digital channels on Astra 2D you need good dish performance in the range 10.7-10.89 GHz. I wonder if the figs quoted for Patriot dish is a mis-print? No doubt someone with experience of those particular dishes can enlighten us.
Regards
Geoff
Cyprus

anton

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well this 10,7 vs 10,95 has been a concern for me as well. Channel Master gives operating frequency for their dishes starting at 10,7, the same goes for e.g. the Polish dish (Laminas), on the other hand the Russian dish (Supral) also only starts at 10,95
I would very much like to hope that this had no influence on the reception ability of either Prodelin or Patriot as they seem to have good references (unlike say IRTE which as you say starts at 10,7 but I haven't heard much positive about them yet)
I can understand how e.g. the depth/shallowness of a dish can have an effect on the amount of unwanted noise received but I can't quite imagine how a dish could be specifically shaped or something to work better at 10,95 rather than 10,7
I was worried to note somewhere though that the GAIN of a dish the producers give is for mid or rather upper half of KU band and is declining with lower frequency rather than the other way round.
I am sure BBC knew damn good what they were doing when they were choosing their new frequency to be put on 2D, certainly bearing in mind the dish gain is not the same across the frequency range, and also giving it H polarization which is harder to receive.

But I know nothing of course, so please, yes ,can we have some bigger expert
shed some LIGHT on this

sayireand

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Madrid
Have a 1.8 Pridelin dish in Madrid and receive BBC and 2D channels solid until 22.00 and sometimes with a bit of luck until 00.30.

>COR<

Reaction score
My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
Hi,

Think they just quote the old frequency band.
The lower the frequency, the lower a dish of certain size will have in gain.
If they supply a gain figure, they can do that for a set frequency, or over an frequency span.

This will not mean the dish suddenly does not recieve anything after the given frequency :)

They just don't claim the given gain figure in that extended lower frequency.

CHeers,

Cor.

G

gcohen

Prodelin use a Seavey feed - at least on the 4.5m dishes. They can supply versions of this feed for the 10.7-12.75 band - but this is still a dual port WR75 mount feed.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.

Surely this is a throwback to the early days of Astra when the frequency range started at 10.95GHz? When Astra introduced the usage of these lower frequencies there was no mass replacement of dishes, of any size, that I am aware of. There was a need for frequency extenders or new extended LNBs but that is not the issue here.

I'm with Cor on this as I don't think it'll make any appreciable difference.

PaulR