Ordering Whizz for the NEW FTV

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Here is the craic so far:

Order by phone | No OLD card details given | Payment deducted | Card issued | Channels (103,104,105) unavailable | Call made to 08700 541800 (requesting Activation) | Box Version No. given | Box serial No. Given | Allow time for channel activation.

Online order | Old card No. Given | Payment deducted | Card Issued | Channels activate as normal (circa 20mins).

So, if you order over the phone: make sure you give them your [edit: old card number] box vers + serial no's. - even if they don't ask for them. Additionally, location of phonecall origination is irrelevant (especially with an on-line order :rolleyes: )

Happy Viewing :-righton

Mark.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ordered on online on Monday, got it through this morning, quite quick. :)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Debited to Channel Four Television - card sent and activated by (the proper) SSSL.

Whatever - I'ts amazing how money talks: it brings back memories of living in Greece :rolleyes:

Everything's now working. Marvellous. And no licence fee involved - thank jubbly (see signature).

Mark.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Your getting good at this...

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Why would you give them,even if they do not ask,your box version and serial number at the time of ordering.....will the card auto authorise?,if so its the first ive heard of it

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
dishdoctor said:
.....will the card auto authorise?,if so its the first ive heard of it

With the online ordering process you are asked for you existing card number. This number will tally with information already held on file by SSSL (was a seperate database when the BBC cough'd up the dosh- but now, I guess, they've given it to SKY :rolleyes: ).

As such, a new card (ordered on-line) will 'self-authorise'. As do replacement subscriber cards.

Having seen this happen, I naively thought that my other card (ordered on the phone) would do the same - it didn't. :-righton Presumably this was because I was not asked/prompted for my old card number/box no./vers no. when I went through the ordering process.

When I received the card, Channel 101 was set for BBC London (and no 103,104,105). After phoning for a card activation I was asked for my new card number/bos serial no./version no. Some time later the BBC and ITV channels reset to their regional variants.

dishdoctor said:
Why would you give them,even if they do not ask,your box version and serial number at the time of ordering

Well - from my toils, I just reckon its best to give them all the info they need so that your new card will self-authorise: regardless of ordering method.

Hope this helps.

Have Fun,

Mark.

German

Reaction score
Hello

living in Germany, I’m a new member. Have an old (deactivated) sky card and bought a new card with yellow house via Ebay. But this card didn't work for ITV, Channel4 and Five.

Will the FTV card also work in an other receiver if it was activated before ?

German

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Should do if it has been activated, but may have to be left in the receiver for a while. If it hasn't been activated, you will not get it to work.

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Does the card "load" the blue banners for ITV,4,5,(103,104,105) if so the card should come to life over a 24 hour period,if the on screen message reads "this card is not authorised" then this card will never work without knowing the name and address the card was sent to..............brian

German

Reaction score
Thanks

I think this card was deactivated. I could not see 103, 104 and 105 and I got the message ‘ This viewing card is not authorised. Call the broadcasting assistance’, when I tried to chose these channels manually.
German

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
The moral of this story is,Never buy a version 2 yellow house card from ebay unless the seller states that the card is working on itv,4 and five,many cards advertised are worded such as to not guarantee anything...................brian

O

Old Fred

mljgmljg said:
With the online ordering process you are asked for you existing card number. This number will tally with information already held on file by SSSL (was a separate database when the BBC coughed up the dosh- but now, I guess, they've given it to SKY :rolleyes: ).
The FTV card system is run by CH4 although the cards are posted out by BskyB.

Fred

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Old Fred said:
The FTV card system is run by CH4 although the cards are posted out by BskyB.

Fred

[Debited to Channel Four Television - card sent and activated by (the proper) SSSL.]

LOL! See earlier post Fred :) Nice to see you are up to speed :rolleyes:

Have Fun,

Mark.

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
German said:
Thanks

I think this card was deactivated. I could not see 103, 104 and 105 and I got the message ‘ This viewing card is not authorised. Call the broadcasting assistance’, when I tried to chose these channels manually.
German
I had one of these cards. It probably was issued by BBC and then not activated. I connected my British phone and then did a new installation.with the card inserted. This partially activated the card but did not put ITV etc on the EPG. But they could be accessed by the add channel function.

O

Old Fred

mljgmljg said:
[Debited to Channel Four Television - card sent and activated by (the proper) SSSL.]

LOL! See earlier post Fred :) Nice to see you are up to speed :rolleyes:

Have Fun,

Mark.
Sorry, I saw the earlier reference to Secure Socket Service Level but not to "BskyB" sending out the cards.

In case it hasn't been mentioned earlier, the last day for ordering FTV cards from CH4 is January 30th. After that, the help line will still be open (for 2 years) for "customer support" (presumably for authorising cards and replacing damaged cards) but no further new cards will be issued. They couldn't say why.

Fred

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I had a private mail on the whizz. Unless, I mistyped www.freetoview.co.uk or have missed something completely .........

The 'Free to view' website is now closed.

The craic being that anyone wishing to order a new FTV card from this official source will no longer be able to do so. Furthermore, they have shut down their operations roughly two weeks before they should have done. O-no

So, if you were hoping to purchase a last-minute new or replacement FTV card - I guess you're a bit fook'd. I would suggest that you make a complaint to Ofcom right now! http://www.ofcom.org.uk/contact_ofcom/

Your Digital TV options are now thus:

1. DTT (coverage not guaranteed), or;
2. Free BBC/GOD, Shopping and Gambling on D-SAT (please use a FTA ST:cool:, or;
3. Subscription SKY (i.e., pay for all the free stuff).

Have Fun,

Mark.

P.S. Can't wait for my next shafting in 2006/7.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You still seem to be able to, but they have reverted to office hours. :) 08700 541800, Monday to Friday just tried to get mine activated, but nobody there.

Got to agree that it's pretty poor for a national viewing card scheme.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
mljgmljg said:
I had a private mail on the whizz. Unless, I mistyped www.freetoview.co.uk or have missed something completely .........
The correct website address for replacement FTV cards is http://www.free2view.tv and is still working at the moment. I ordered a card last week at the princely sum of £23.50 and it arrived earlier this week.

PaulR

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
PaulR said:
The correct website address for replacement FTV cards is http://www.free2view.tv and is still working at the moment. I ordered a card last week at the princely sum of £23.50 and it arrived earlier this week.

PaulR
Yep, just checked. Verdammt! - I wanted to moan again :rolleyes:

Yet, from February ???? Pretty crap me thinks.

My mother would go spare if she knew she had a box but could do bugger-all with it (she can't stand churches, she doesn't want a credit card and remains ex-directory) ??

As for slow-to-view DTT, well, that still hasn't hit spleepyville Lancashire where she lives.

Have Fun,

Mark.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
With regards to the end of January deadline all they are saying, if you read the website announcement carefully, is that they will be stopping the issuing of replacement cards over the internet.

There is a phone number to ring for new cards and I suspect that after a certain date, maybe Jan 30th, maybe it'll be extended again, they will only issue new cards at whatever price they decide upon. This will enable them to clean up the FTV card database and get a proper idea of how many genuine FTV viewers there are for advertising purposes.

All the ramblings are my own. Anyone else agree?

PaulR