Advice Needed Original CM1.8 polarmount

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
I recently bought a CM 1.8m - it came with what i think is the original CM polarmount for 1.8m.

Its pretty rusty - so i'd like to give it a refurb - or at least check that its going to work nicely.

What are the key components to check \ maintain \ how can i check its all working properly without putting it all together (dish etc) - as i only really want to do that once dish is painted and the concrete base is down as its a heavy old thing.

I've read about bearings, but unsure what \ where they are \ how to check \ fix them up.

Here is a pic of what i bought.

Thanks all.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I think just clean the metal, repaint it or better have it zinc coated. Change all nuts&bolts to INOX, however galvanized are also OK. And you are good to go.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
are there any bearings to grease or anything to check which might be missing...

hold up - just came across this thread which is useful....

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
are there any bearings
Those are only consumables... the main thing is the fact you've got a nice, original CM polar-mount. It is not rare as chicken teeth, but seldom and valuable enough. Just be happy about that fact!

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I recently bought a CM 1.8m - it came with what i think is the original CM polarmount for 1.8m.

Its pretty rusty - so i'd like to give it a refurb - or at least check that its going to work nicely.

What are the key components to check \ maintain \ how can i check its all working properly without putting it all together (dish etc) - as i only really want to do that once dish is painted and the concrete base is down as its a heavy old thing.

I've read about bearings, but unsure what \ where they are \ how to check \ fix them up.

Here is a pic of what i bought.

Thanks all.

If you want to have a real top spec job, you could take it to a local workshop and get them to sand blast it back to bare metal then get it powder coated or galvanised.

Alternatively, a small local car body shop would be able to do a real good job of back to bare metal followed by a spray with 2K primer then a top coat.
If you take whatever non metallic paint colour they have to hand for current car panel repairs then it might reduce the paint cost. They will have 2K primer by the gallon.

I think the "bearings" are oilite bushes rather than traditional bearings that have ball race enclosures. I could be wrong on that point though?
If they are oilite bushes then just a lining of machine oil should be OK.