other uses for mini dishes

S

stringman_uk

Hi all,

sorry to be a complete pain and ask what may be an obvious question.

I have terrestial digial whith a nice shiny card so i can watch lots.
The house I have moved into also has a sky minidish but no box.

my (two fold) question is this:

Can i get a receiver hooked up to the minidish and using a gold card and suitable programmer (elvis or similar) prog card to receive english speaking films and the oddd bit of eerrrrr adult entertainment.

I dont really want to mess with the position of the dish but if thats the only way so be it.

I dont really want any thing to flash ( OK I admit it i'm a tightwad) just a nice simple way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

PRINCE

Reaction score
My Location
uh::
Hi,

No, you can't receive anything with your minidish,which I presumed would be pointing to 28.2 degrees.Most of the channels that you want would be at 19.2 and 13 degrees,and you need an 80cm dish for those.

Regards

Prince

E

erectorvision

if you live in the midlands or south you CAN reiceve hot bird and astra 19 with a mini dish ive dun it hence my user name;

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
You've erected dishes?
Or is this a Shahidism?

PRINCE

Reaction score
My Location
Hi 2old,

What is Shahidism, I have looked through my Oxford dictionary without any luck.

Regards

Prince

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
A Shahidism is named after Shahid, a regular on this board.
Shahid is an ardent proponent of the noble art of fornication and presumably a major stakeholder in the Gentlemens Entertainment Industry. Gawd bless 'im (or 'er).

PRINCE

Reaction score
My Location
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification,I think I might have missed a few post, it is time to use the search engine to find out what I have missed. The last one I was aware of,was the Ultra blue logo, which was quite funny.Keep up the humour. :-)

regards

Prince

TB

Reaction score
erectorvision have you really got astra 19 and hotbird 13 with a mini dish, I wreckon you prob could get astra 19, as I found it today no probs with an 60 cm dish, hotbird though different storey, briefly got some channels then lost them, I'm in South East Wales. How easy did you find it in getting onto hotbird?

S

stringman_uk

Hi all thanks for the replies.
so If i can get Hotbird ( i live in kent near maidstone) what channels would i get and, more importantly, what would i need to get it.

thanks in advance

TB

Reaction score
I got hold of a mini dish today, with lnb grundig one that came on it dont know what it is, it's universal I think cuz in the echostar menu channels work under universal. Anyhow I got excellent reception on astra 19 and astra 28, with the dish in the same position, works excellent. On my echostar box there are two signal metres 1 under the other, when I try and line up hot bird I can get the top signal up to 50% but it fluctuates big time, and the bottom 1 stays on 10%. If I can somehow get a dogs bollox lnb, will this improve my reception, a mate of a mate installs $ky dishes, so he may have one, gonna see him at the weekend, hopefully he may be able to lock onto hotbird for me, as I said I dont really want to use the 1 metre way to big, I'd rather have 2 mini dishes, have the good people with hotbird on mini dishes use a metre to find it?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-Nov-01 AT 06:29 AM (GMT)]As far as I know TB, there are no up spec LNBs for the minidish available. They are a purpose built low noise universal as standard, the newer ones may be slightly lower noise than the old though.

I still reckon thought that the reception will probably disappear in bad weather, but I agree it's quite a tidy solution with the two minidishes.

Best of luck

Rolf

E

erectorvision

yes a mini dish LNB is universal the latest ones have a small spirit level on it to make it more acurate underneath the LNB is a ajustment No depending on your location alter the No to ajust polarity angle some latest LNBs are o.6 look for one of those or ask a local sky chappy for a few quid he will sort you one or by the way a meter helps, ive recieved most channels on hot bird taquila ect. and im in yorks,a 60 cm digi dish is equivelent to a 90cm dish there abouts hope this help a bit

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ah, and there lies the difference, you are referring to zone 2 dishes, bear in mind that most people in the south use the 43cm zone 1 dish.

Rolf

TB

Reaction score
Ah so erectorvision mini dish is bigger than my mini dish?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Would appear so TB.

Rolf

TB

Reaction score
OK so I've give up finding hotbird with a mini dish. Mini dish seems to pick up astra better than an old 60cm analog $ky dish.

So erectorvision your mini dish in the zone 2 one rolf has mentioned, 60cm yeah, and you get hotbird no problem, up in Yorkshire. If what you say is right, I have found a website selling zone 2 dishes for 20 bucks, and am very tempted to buy 1, I'm in South East Wales, so what you say I should be able 2 get hotbird on a zone 2?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Should work TB, I'm thinking of using one, or similar on my DiseqC motor. They are relatively light and look quite neat. I wouldn't necessarily agree that they are equivalent to a 90cm dish, but they are probably more effective than an old 60cm dish.

Rolf

TB

Reaction score
Cheers rolf, yeah the design or summit of mini dishes seems they pick up astra satellites no prob havnt hardly got to move the dish about, so I'm hoping that the zone 2 one is gonna do the business for hotbird, I'll let you know the outcome in a few days when it arrives!!

TB

Reaction score
You good people may like to know that Elton John finally delivered my zone 2 $ky mini dish, so I get the ladders out wack it up and and after 5 minutes of playing around, my mate goes the signal strength of hotbird is 40% and 40%, horey, so I come inside to have a butchers and find pictures, horey, so then have a look at signal strength and for some reason it jumps up to 80% and 70 summit%, horey!! There one or 2 channels I found that wasnt picking up a picture but by far the majority was, better than I was getting on astra with little $ky mini dish.

So rolf I can highly recommed getting one, your right their very light and neat, much easier to get up ladders than my 1 metre dish, and I think this 1 should manage the wind ok!!

And for 20 bucks including all brackets and bolts, I'm very impressed!!