Pace 99 pound Set Top Box Review

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Come on all you test pilots,Who has got one,what's it like,what's it get,anyone got the latest info on 1 month only cards,(pay for one month,see if you like it,then buy another month or even for one year,come on,
I know someones got one already,probably the same people who bought Betamax,8 Track stereo and BSB Squarial,but i promise your secret will be confined to 2000 enthusiasts....Best of luck...Brian

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Not available till the end of March...........OK so i jumped the gun,still,it will need a bloody long co-axial to reach me here in Malaga...........Brian

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've ordered one for the first release Brian, purely for testing as it's not worth my while to trade them. I'll post details as soon as I get delivery.

Rolf

PS. If you're doing the cable run, make sure it's CT125 foam or better :) (You may need a substantial launch amp as well)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I can supply a bloody good aerial for you Brian

Malaga Hmmm. If you put me up I might install it for you

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No, with that sized aerial it must be a two man job CH, he'll have to put us both up :)

Rolf

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
I have the dynamic duo coming over in three weeks,you know the fella with the jetski,and his compadre,and if they can trail a co-axial from their hold luggage all my problems will be over!.....Brian

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
You will need a telescopic mast otherwise it wont fit in the plane

Malaga will be a challenge on a Group A aerial

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just had a look at the spec for the Pace box, it definitely has embedded mediaguard conditional access with integral smart card reader (for optional Pay TV upgrade). The outputs are PAL composite, RGB and SVHS. The rest is fairly basic stuff like a quick EPG, interactive text and subtitles. Software is downloadable.

The interesting bit is the "optional Pay TV upgrade", does that mean that the cam slot won't work unless it is upgraded, and if it does, how is the upgrade carried out?

Rolf

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
A major limitation is that it only has a Scart output, no UHF RF output.

So while it's a step in the right direction and the price is heading the right way, it's only good for use on ONE set. No good if you also want to pipe it to your bedroom tv for instance.

I doubt many people will want to buy more than one, so for me this lack of RF output as well is a BIG disadvantage.

Also, there must still be a lot of people (like me) who's main Tv is so ancient it doesn't have a Scart socket anyway (yes I know it's about time I bought a new TV, but that's a long story)

One question I am very interested in when someone does get to review one, is can the remote control be programmed to operate your TV as well (Like the Sky remote) so you don't need to keep fiddling with two seperate remote controls. Again if the answer is no, this would be a major stumbling block. My wife complains at the number of remotes we have at the moment, and one more would not go down well.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I'll let you know on the remote control point when it arrives ProDave, with regard to the RF outlet, just run it via your video and then into a 2 way amp. That's what a lot of people do with the existing boxes.

Rolf

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
That's exactly what I do and it works fine for me.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Hey dishdoctor are you the DishDoctor that used to write in the Reporter or Entertainer around here?

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Hi. Polo mint,
No,I am not he,the dishdoctor you mention was or is Ronald Blankenstien,who owns a big tv and satellite showrooms near me in Los Boliches,Fuengirola.I know him well as i supply him with satellite stuff now and again..........best of luck....Brian