Pace Sky + going to standby for no reason

Sat Sergeant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.3 metre dish quad LNB Thompson and Pace Sky plus
My Location
Peyia, Cyprus
Can anyone suggest reason for this problem- Have a Pace Sky+ 40gb hdd (quite an old one probably one of the first)recently has gone from on ie green light to standby but then freezes with red light on and have to reboot from fully off to get back progs. Have taken the top off and noticed that the little cooling fan by the power supply does not run when either in standby, on or when recording or play back. Am suspecting overheating as possibility it has been a little warm out here in Cyprus recently any suggestion would be of great help.

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
Sat Sergeant said:
Can anyone suggest reason for this problem- Have a Pace Sky+ 40gb hdd (quite an old one probably one of the first)recently has gone from on ie green light to standby but then freezes with red light on and have to reboot from fully off to get back progs. Have taken the top off and noticed that the little cooling fan by the power supply does not run when either in standby, on or when recording or play back. Am suspecting overheating as possibility it has been a little warm out here in Cyprus recently any suggestion would be of great help.

Do you have any equipment near the sky + that may affect it, ie
telephone/radio ????

regards dave

Sat Sergeant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Peyia, Cyprus
Hi Dave
No no equipment other than DVD player on shelf above and TV of course all running thro a UPS as elastictrickery out here is a bit unreliable. No dect phones etc near

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Might be a software bug :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sat Sergeant said:
Hi Dave
No no equipment other than DVD player on shelf above and TV of course all running thro a UPS as elastictrickery out here is a bit unreliable. No dect phones etc near

All valid reasons so far including software bug..... have you tried a forced update? or have you tried re-formatting the drive? Of course the latter option will lose all of your saved recordings. If doing a forced update from abroad, you need to ensure you have a good lock on the default transponder as well otherwise you could corrupt what you have. Perhaps that is the reason for your problem as there was one version of the sky+ that was causing such problems, you may not have received an automatic update if you cannot get a lock with the default transponder

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Sat Sergeant said:

Does the fan actually run at all? Maybe it is faulty.

Sat Sergeant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Peyia, Cyprus
Thanks Robbo fan does not run at all am investigating that part but the box seems to be playing up a bit more.

Sat Sergeant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Peyia, Cyprus
Thanks Topper
Haven't tried forced update as we can't get 11788 default transponder we use 12207 can that be used to force update as I have seen warnings on the forum only try it if you can receive 11788

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
well if the fans not coming on then it probably has overheated in this hot weather.Worst damage maybe the cpu, or capacitors in the power supply. Or the common problem is the hard drive. First thing to try (after full system reset)is find a technician who repairs sky boxes and try another hard drive(not that difficult to change).
I had mine changed to a bigger capacity hard drive,worth it because its a pace 3100 with a good tuner for Cyprus.
You have a 3.3m and can't get 11.778H ?

Sat Sergeant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Peyia, Cyprus
Thanks Zorba
Put the top back on after checking all internal connectors - fan now works. No more trouble at this stage. No we cant get 11778 here in Peyia even with a 3.3 dish or ch 4 but others near in coral bay and Paphos can, its not just us others in our area the same. I think we pick up 11778 at times as we have to constantly check the default transponder setting as soon as it gets a sniff of it it defaults to 11778. Fortunately this is our multi room receiver and still receiving after 2 years so its not too much of a problem.
Daren't do a forced update as 11778 is uncertain.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
There is no risk trying to do a forced update if 11.778 not there.If it hasn't stopped after 15-20 minutes,just power off then on again,no damage caused.11.778 should improve after 6pm.You can tell when its okay if you get background music when you are in the menu.
3.3m were never popular with us Limassol techs,they seem to have a design fault. Is it a 2 piece probably supplied by s*ap?

Sat Sergeant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Peyia, Cyprus
Thanks Zorba
Thanks for advice re updade, and yes two piece DH installed by the defunct firm you state. We do get the music in the evenings at certain times, presume safe to to forced update at that time them, if so will pluck up courage and try.