Pace with 160mb OR Sky+ 160

dar2004

Reaction score
I am thinking of replacing my standard Sky box with a Sky+ box. I have seen the older Pace models on EBAY with larger hard disks fitted. Obviously these are much cheaper than the 399 Sky would charge me for a new Thomson model.

My question is would I be better going for the new Sky+ Thomson? Or is a Pace with a bigger hard drive equally functional and good?

statsman

Reaction score
dar2004 said:
I am thinking of replacing my standard Sky box with a Sky+ box. I have seen the older Pace models on EBAY with larger hard disks fitted. Obviously these are much cheaper than the 399 Sky would charge me for a new Thomson model.

My question is would I be better going for the new Sky+ Thomson? Or is a Pace with a bigger hard drive equally functional and good?
I contacted Sky over the weekend. As an existing Sky+ user I can get the Sky+160 for £299. If I have the old Sky+ moved to another room (so there is a total of 200GB storage space) there is no installation charge if I have the same sky channels in the second room. The down side is that there is a £10 monthly chagre for the multiroom (minimum 12 months).

They told me that the 160 is "future proof" so any further add-ons or improvements wont need a new box. Hope thats of some use.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000HD, Super DARK MOTOR, 80cm Dish, SKY+ HD, HTPC w/7MC
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
statsman said:
I contacted Sky over the weekend. As an existing Sky+ user I can get the Sky+160 for £299. If I have the old Sky+ moved to another room (so there is a total of 200GB storage space) there is no installation charge if I have the same sky channels in the second room. The down side is that there is a £10 monthly chagre for the multiroom (minimum 12 months).

They told me that the 160 is "future proof" so any further add-ons or improvements wont need a new box. Hope thats of some use.

future proof my arse, NOTHING is future proof...

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
homerjay said:
future proof my arse, NOTHING is future proof...
Your arse is future proof ({})

szhjcn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ 160
My Location
Switzerland
Yes, nothing can be completely future proof. I recently upgraded from the Sony Sky Box to the Thomson Sky+ 160 Box and I'm pretty happy with it (besides the high cost). Menu's are much faster and Sky+ is great. Shame they did not go for a bigger drive 300Gb+ would be nice. Also waiting to find out about the use of the UBS ports, hopefully can connect a DVD Burner and/or computer to this in future, but hear they will have proprietry devices (more expense etc..).

I don't suffer with any of the noise problems that I heard about when I first looked into the Sky+ 160 box last year as the box is installed in an electrical room and then distributed from there. I did have some teething problems with the box which seem to have been fixed by forcing a firware upgrade. Did have a couple of recordings with Audio drop out, but not sure if this is fixed (not had this in recent recordings).