Pairing a new card to an old box outside UK

nbulos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic DSB30 with 2.5M dish
My Location
Jordan
Up until a few months ago, we had been some Sky channels, particularly Sky Sports, by paying for a full subscription in the UK and using our set top box and card in Jordan. However, we recently got a replacement sky card (we thought the problem was with the card but it turned out to be with the box - which we then had fixed). Since the box is now working, we have tried to re-pair the new card to our old box by calling sky and giving them the details they ask for. Sky have said that the pairing will take from 5 minutes to 4 hours. We are 1 hour in but so far we are having the following issues:

1. On the premium channels (Sky sports), we get the message "wrong card for this set top box".

2. On Sky News, we get the message "no satellite signal is being received", although when I go to the set up menu and try frequency 12207 on manual tuning, Sky News does show up. I add it to my channel line up, but then when I try to go to the Sky news channel, I get the message that no signal is being received. We were receiving Sky News with our cancelled old sky card until today

3. On Living TV (and other free-to-view channels) I also get the message "no satellite signal is being received" even though when I go to the set up menu and try frequency 11739 on manual tuning, Living, Living +, Challenge, Bravo etc. show up. We used to receive Living TV before our sky box broke down.

I'm worried that I won't get the re-pairing pulse from Sky if there is a problem with receiving 12207 and 11740 default transponders. Any help would be appreciated.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
As I had sky in the past, the advice they gave me was to leave the box on sky-one and the box should recieve the pairing & activation signal, and last thime they did this for me it happened at 8pm exactly each time, so you may have the same thing going on, so the best thing to do is leave it on sky one and, well, just leave it!!! If it doesn't work, call them up again and they should sort it out... :)

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
There is a problem with the box software. I assume you have re- booted it.
If the software version is too old you'll have loads of problems.
The activation signal never takes longer than four hours, and can come at any time, it doesn't matter which channel the box is tuned to, or even if it is in standby.
Suggest a visit to 'flea-bay' to get a newer Pace.

nbulos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic DSB30 with 2.5M dish
My Location
Jordan
"There is a problem with the box software. I assume you have re- booted it.
If the software version is too old you'll have loads of problems.
The activation signal never takes longer than four hours, and can come at any time, it doesn't matter which channel the box is tuned to, or even if it is in standby.
Suggest a visit to 'flea-bay' to get a newer Pace."

The box I have is an Amstrad and I did buy a box on ebay which turned out to be faulty. Sky told me that the version of software I have (Operating System 1.2S4FE, EPG Software 3.4.4b) is upto date and I have heard that doing a re-boot (I assume this means forced software update) when you're not receiving 11778 could fry the box. I don't get any signal for 11778, do you think I should still do a re-boot?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Reboot generally just means unplug the power then connect it up a minute later.

If you are getting 'no signal' and 'technical problem' messages then it is very likely you will miss the update signals too.

If you manage to get a channel displayed (try sky news), leave it on that for a few hours/overnight.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
By rebooting I meant unplugging the mains supply, not a forced update. You are correct to say a forced software update is dangerous in the absence of 11778.
Your profile says you are using a Panasonic DSB 30.
Getting the 'no signal' message happens on new Pace boxes with good signals and seems to be a feature of the current Sky box specification, do you have the new Amstrad with blue light?
Try 12051 as the default transponder. This one seems to provide a reliable EPG, but only 12 hours ahead, not seven days.
Let us know if the box receives its activation signal.