PAL/SECAM converter needed

R

rosbif

Hi

I’m new here

I have an old analogue receiver currently operating on Astra 19E, feeding the TV via a SCART connection. The receiver has no in built UHF modulation.

I am considering switching the dish to align to Atlantic Bird 3 at 5W to receive the French analogue signals. These are broadcast in SECAM.

1) If I just use the SCART connection to the local TV will I be able to view in Colour as my TV receiver is multi-standard and does have the ability to receive French Terrestrial TV (we have used it in France)

2) I’d really like to be able to redistribute the satellite output via my UHF distribution network. If I feed the receiver SCART output to a separate UHF modulator which combines with the terrestrial aerial will the “satellite channel” be viewable in colour on other non multi-standard TV’s or will I also need to insert a PAL/ SECAM converter, If so where do I put it in the system? Can you get combined modulators/convertors.

thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure about the combined unit Rosbif, but this unit is pretty reasonble http://cyberbag.internet-fr.net/cgvus/obj0014.html compared to some others, you can always run it into your video and then use the output from that to feed the distribution system. Bradley Wood also do a couple, but there does not seem to be a description available.

Modulators tend to retail at around £45 or so, Philex do a very nice one and I believe there is a reasonable one also on the satcure site.

R

rosbif

thanks Rolfw for the info on converters.

however, I don't know if I'll need one. the only output on the sat receiver is a SCART: Is a Scart signal still SECAM encoded?

If it is then I need to:
1)Create a SECAM/UHF signal with a modulator
2)Convert SECAM/PAL
3)Combine this signal with other terrestrial aerial signals

ie 3 separate units

Running the satbox to the VCR is a possibility I'll look at. Problem is its an old VCR without SCART connection (has UHF & phono audio/video jacks). thanks for this idea.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Rosbif, the video would be fine, as most converters have phono outputs, as well as inputs (you may need a phono-BNC adaptor pliug though to connect to the video input on the VCR).

The satellite will output Secam, so you will need a transcoder, it should work from the scart out on the satellite though, then you can feed it straight into the VCR by phono.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The 5W French signals may not be there for long

Buying a Seam to Pal unit now may not be the best financial outlay

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
I don't think there's any chance of the French analogue satellite signals stopping in the near future. Don't forget that France is something like three times the size of the UK and has plenty of remote and mountainous regions.

By all accounts, there are hundreds of thousands of French homes that can't get a good terrestrial TV signal even for the three main channels, which have nationwide UHF transmitter networks. There are also two channels, M6 and La Cinquieme/ARTE that are only available selectively (usually in the bigger towns) and at reduced power because of channel space limitations.

No government is going to risk annoying these voters (especially in places like Corsica) by cutting off access to national TV. The only thing that might change this is if the national channels went free to view on digital satellite.