Pale Moon web browser

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Hi have tried both Pale Moon web browser versions on my windows lappy and a USB stick for 2 weeks now, it is firefox based for windows and linux os.
Very stabile even at low rural internet speeds and very good for streaming in my experience.

Here is the gen:-

"" Pale Moon is an Open Source, Firefox-based web browser available for Microsoft Windows and Linux, focusing on efficiency and ease of use. Make sure to get the most out of your browser!

Pale Moon offers you a browsing experience in a browser completely built from source with carefully selected features and optimizations to maximize the browser's speed*, stability and user experience, while maintaining compatibility with the thousands of Firefox extensions you have come to love and rely on.

Main features:

Optimized for modern processors
Firefox sourced: As safe as Mozilla's flagship browser
Supported by a friendly, active community of users
Familiar, efficient, customizable user interface design (no Australis!)
Smooth and speedy page drawing and script processing
Increased stability: experience fewer browser crashes
Support for Firefox extensions (add-ons) and themes
Uses slightly less memory because of disabled optional code
Support for SVG, Canvas and downloadable fonts including WOFF
Extensive support for HTML5, CSS3 and WebGL
OOPP (Out-of-process plugin execution) to prevent browser crashes
More customization and configuration options than Firefox
Able to use existing Firefox profiles with the migration tool

This browser, even though close to Firefox in the way it works, offers a different set of features than its sibling. A few carefully selected features have been disabled that are not in high demand, and that do not interfere with the way web pages are displayed or function; all to maximize the efficiency of the browser. Please see the page with technical details to learn exactly what the browser supports, and what it doesn't support. For example, if you need accessibility features or integration of Windows' parental controls, then Pale Moon may not be a good browser choice for you.

With the current generation of Gecko-based browsers, there are a few other differences between Pale Moon and Firefox that are more obvious and not just "under the hood": contrary to what Mozilla has done with their redesign of the user interface, Pale Moon will continue to provide a familiar set of controls and visual feedback similar to previous versions, including grouped navigation buttons of a decent size, a bookmarks toolbar that is enabled by default, tabs next to page content by default (easily switchable) and not in the least a functional status bar and more freedom in customization, to name a few things. ""

Links:_

http://www.palemoon.org/
http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-portable.shtml

Regards

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
But does it inherit Firefox's incessant need to devour gigabytes of Ram? :-rofl2

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Not had any issues with the Firefox "Memory Leak" issue for years.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Well, I've finally tried Pale Moon, and so far it's like stepping back in time, before Firefox went all internet explorer-looking and crashing every 5 minutes, seems to be nice and fast, works well and isn't too bad, even seems happy with the few addons I like too... :)

And in answer to my question back in june, yes, it does still hog RAM (anything more than 250MB of ram useage is hogging in my opinion) on par with firefox, but, I guess there's no getting round that being based on firefox... :-doh

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Heads Up

For Firefox lovers who wish to be able to continue using their favourite Add Ons, now is the time to get to grips with Pale Moon.

Later this month, when FF57 is released, Legacy Add Ons will become defunct and only those whose developers update them to Web Extensions will work.

Pale Moon uses FF Add Ons and even Legacy ones will continue to work.

I have used FF for years, but have now binned it across all my devices and platforms.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
image.png I have one of these in the shed, for that rainy day.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
Was thinking of delaying FF57, hoping\waiting for updating of some crucial addons.

And preparing Pale Moon for action (32 bit 'for compatibility with some addons')

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, also stopped auto update for FF some time ago.

Some of my essential Add Ons have already declared they won't be "upgrading".

And I've discovered FB Purity won't work in Pale Moon ..... :(

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, also stopped auto update for FF some time ago.

Some of my essential Add Ons have already declared they won't be "upgrading".

And I've discovered FB Purity won't work in Pale Moon ..... :(

Resolved!

Just install Greasemonkey then the Greasemonkey Script Version of FB Purity.

The former via the usual Add Ons route and the latter by scrolling down the FB Purity Homepage to find the link.