Panasonic box on standby

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
Help! My digibox is stuck in standby mode.
It just suddenly went off last night about 5 seconds after switching channels.

I tried a forced update by holding the back up button in whilst powering up but it just stays in back up.

Its a Panasonic box thats about 4 years old. I think I read somewhere that this is a common fault on Panasonics?

Assuming its goosed then am I right to think that Sky will not provide a free replacement box? I`m thinking I`ll have to cancel my subs then make a fresh application in my partners name? maybe tell `em I`m moving house or something?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I think it's just the DSB31 models that have the problem but I'm not sure that earlier models suffer the same.

It may be the power supply that's gone AWOL if the box is 4 years old and (possibly?) kept in a hot position.

I reckon you're right about $ly, they will want to charge you for a new box. Good luck if you try the partner's name route. Does she have a different surname and separate bank account?

PaulR

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can get the box repaired for £45 or so, or Sky will give you an exchange unit for £60 if you threaten to cancel.

The other option you mention is often done, just phone up and say that you are moving abroad and need to cancel. Then get your other half to phone up saying that she is moving into a rented property and would like Sky, the only thing is that they will charge you for installation unless you have the full package. PM me BRD I kay have an idea. :)

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
damn thing started working again after a few days but is very tempremental. keeps locking up.

definately will be looking to purchase a new one in 1st week of september.

any news rolf?

markthorpe

Reaction score
Had same problem, always unplugging box for a few minutes. Found out it was signal quality causing it to crash. Realigned dish and works great now.

bigrandydavid said:
damn thing started working again after a few days but is very tempremental. keeps locking up.

definately will be looking to purchase a new one in 1st week of september.

any news rolf?

hb21l6

Reaction score
yup. got the same type of digi box (panasonic digibox tu-dsb30) and im havin the same problem. for no reason at the all the box locks up when flicking through channels.
I have to power cycle the box to get it back on again. bloody things.

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
bloody box finally died, won`t come out of standby.

managed to blag a new box FOC though. they didn`t seem overly bothered as to whether we had previously had one or not to be honest.
i `don`t see why they should be bothered either considering the amount they take in subscriptions.