Panasonic DSB31 Picture breakups

B

Barada

I've had a Panasonic DSB31 now for about 11 months(just inside the warranty!). The picture breakups are quite bad on some channels, 134,193,404,408,454 to name but afew.

Having done all the usual pointless cable checks etc etc, should SKY replace my box now ?. As the warranty is still valid, does this mean no charge to me??.

Having read alot of information on these Panasonic models, it seems that they are quite a problem.

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
It won't cost you anything to email them and ask. If it is a hardware problem and the warranty is still valid it should not cost you anything, maybe you have to pay the postal costs for returning the box.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have Sky been out to check the installation Barada, you don't make it clear? If they haven't, then Do you have a neighbour with a dish who will let you test your box and possibly his box on your dish?

These cable and connection checks are far from pointless, I would imagine that a high percentage of faults can be narrowed down to precicely those factors.

If Sky have been and the fault is still there, then any further calls will be a continuation of the first, so even if it takes you until outside the 12 month period, they will still be liable for replacement if it is proved to be a faulty box. The Panasonic 31 is as far as I know a reliable box, I have one which I am watching now and it gives me trouble free performance.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Barada -
can you answer the following:
- did the problems start suddenly or gradually get worse?
- have you checked that there are no obstructions to the line of sight of the dish (such as a tree that might have got bigger since the system was installed)?
- have you checked the dish alignment per se? Perhaps it has been knocked out of alignment, or suffered in high winds?
- have you tried connecting another receiver to the dish?
- how good is the signal strength and quality?
- do the problems occur sporadically or continually? Is there a pattern to these times? Is it weather related (eg only have problems in heavy rain, or high-wind?)
- Is there a pigeon s(h)itting on your LNB?

2old

B

Barada

Originally posted by 2old4this
Barada -
can you answer the following:
- did the problems start suddenly or gradually get worse?
- have you checked that there are no obstructions to the line of sight of the dish (such as a tree that might have got bigger since the system was installed)?
- have you checked the dish alignment per se? Perhaps it has been knocked out of alignment, or suffered in high winds?
- have you tried connecting another receiver to the dish?
- how good is the signal strength and quality?
- do the problems occur sporadically or continually? Is there a pattern to these times? Is it weather related (eg only have problems in heavy rain, or high-wind?)
- Is there a pigeon s(h)itting on your LNB?

2old

-Problem always been there.
-no obstructions of any note.
-dish still rock solid in position.
-haven't tried another receiver as yet.
-signal strength and quality very good.
-problems only occur on certain channels as listed above, afew more besides. Weather isn't a factor in this case. The dodgy channels kick up a fuss in clear, fine weather 24/7.
-no bird intereference.

B

Barada

Originally posted by rolfw
Have Sky been out to check the installation Barada, you don't make it clear?

I now have someone calling on Monday, but now I'm concerned about getting charged!!?.
I've only had the setup for 11 months, hardly seems fair as it's been like this all the time from what I can see.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well certainly from the few channel numbers you listed, there doesn't seem to be any pattern with regard to polarity or high/low bands, even any particular bird.

You don't mention what the receiver is reading on signal strength or quality, although its not entirely accurate, it is a useful guide.

As the Sky technician is coming soon this could all be academic, but it probably won't cost you anything anyway.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Many of the early 31 model have picture break-up problems. However yours (just 11 months old) is not that early.

The symptoms of the problem are of a poor signal and/or dying tuner. In fact it is a PSU problem (and a mod can fix it). One test to see if it is this is to switch from RGB to PAL, when outputting in RGB the problem gets worse, in PAL it would normally be on fewer channels and/or not as bad.

topgazza

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. Sky, to their credit, have put in a new Panasonic 31 and dish LNB under warranty and the problem has lessoned. It was there on the Pace box as well so I don't think its a PSU problem in my case. I will try switching from RGB to PAL to see if it makes a difference. In my case the problem "suddenly" happened so the whole thing is very odd. My Signal strength is 100% and the quality is 60-70% which should be OK.

B

Barada

Just had someone here to look at the pics problem, said nothing much he could do!!?.
He replaced the LNB, all looked good until the Kerrang channel did it usual chaotic breakups.
Looks like I'll still be switching over to PAL everynow and then for the "dodgy" channels......

topgazza

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Made no difference in my case Barada. All I've got left is the cable or the actual dish. Neither of which sounds likely to me as they would affect other channels. Interesting that my worst 2 channels are 134 and 139. I have also developed a lot of resizing during programs on my Sony 28FX60 TV even if I turn off the Smart mode. I thought this Sky stuff was supposed to be about quality!