Panasonic IDTV

S

spike4691

I have a Panasonic IDTV with common interface. If I buy an Aston CAM will I be able to watch PPV with the appropriate card as the CAM from Off D*****l has not been programmed for this. If so which version (1.03/1.05 ?)

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Jan-02 AT 00:00 AM (GMT)]An Aston Cam is suitable for SECA.
As ITV digital is encrypted in SECA the answer is yes.
The 1.05 is the more readily available CAM but either should work.
The original OD cams are awaiting a software update to enable PPV.

T

TimeMaster

Well if the aston cam does work I'm doing something wrong.....I purchased 2 of them both version 1.05 and niether of them work. When I go into the DVB setup menu it reports No Common Interface module fitted ??

Any more ideas ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Like all ITVdigital products, the CI slot is not activated as yet, and may not be for some time

Additionally the IDTVs have a limited lifespan as far as uupgrades over the air are concerned so by the time ITV digital decides to change the encryption system to something more robust, you could find your TV wont accept the new CAM.

The issue of handing the box back when twelve months is up is different for intergrated TV systems, many manufacturers find this is a good way of getting rid of two obselete systems in one go.

But then if the picture is good, then what the heck.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Surely the CI is activated, as it's the slot into which the ITV Digital CAM is inserted when they send you one.

Rolf

T

TimeMaster

I can assure everyone that the slots on the Panasonic are active because I know several people who have the ITV Digital modules fitted, up until November the first they supplied a cam and a card to receive 6 channels free for six months but I purchased mine just too late to get one.....Bo*l*c*s !!!!!!!!!!

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 11-Jan-02 AT 00:31 AM (GMT)]The idea of a television having a CAM is that the module can be changed if the encryption system changes!
The Software for the TV can also be updated by the manufactures from time to time.
To say that they will be obsolete soon is rubbish!
The televisions do work with both the official CAMs and Aston type.
As I said earlier the oficial CAMs are awaiting a software update from ITV digital. I have heard they will lend you a box while you wait for the update if you are a keen PPV fan.
Some early TVs required software or hardware updates for the CAMs to work. Ask your supplier if your model requires one.

Channel Hopper: I think you are getting confused between the boxes and the CAMs for the IDTVs. The CAM slots on the boxes are not enabled like those on the SKY box. Presumably this is there for the "letter of the law" again and may be software enabled if they wish it!

The CI slots on the IDTVs are definelty enabled (mostly anyway).

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The IDTVs I have dealt with (including the LGs we used to sell and the Alba that is still in the showroom), have a 28" tube and what seems to be a bog standard Nokia OD box within the chassis

The two are joined at the rear by an additional coax loop cable and the chassis cover has both Ci slot and access for a wafer (sorry official) card

The remote operates both units, but there is no real synergy between the two, the Nokia box overrides the TV functions until it is put into standby.

The TVs came with a OD card and a special (get four additional channels free for a year when you sign up) No CAM in the box

The Nokia does not accept a CI unit and is unlikely to do so since the box does not accept any auto updates

I will concede that more modern sets may now have the CI slot activated but the earlier ones didnt

I dont watch it anyway (having far more fun with the DTH stuff)

T

TimeMaster

Well it all sounds strange to me .......The TV is only a week old so the old set bit does not apply.. The bit about the upgrade I could go with if the set actually saw the cam, but it does not ! and I actually know people who are using the official ones ! I bought the set so that it was mine unlike a box which is only on loan only to find that if I subscribe they still own part of the equipment.......What is this world comming to !

S

spike4691

Thanks for the responses though I haven't really got all the answers to my questions.

The Panasonic IDTV works with the On D*****L official CAM and card but not for PPV because the software had not been written.

I therefore assume the ASTON/SECA CAM will work but I am not sure if this includes PPV. Does this CAM Ver 1.05 include the ON D*****L software to upgrade the software ?

T

TimeMaster

Well what I was trying to tell you was I bought two Aston/Seca version 1.05 cams and my Panasonic won't even acknowledge their existance !! Since my last rantings I have tried then in a Sony KV32DG60U and got the same results .......NOTHING !

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Stoopid question maybe but
do either of the TVs you have tried havs a card slot hidden somewhere else ?

Ifd the TVs are for use with a CAM only then surely others would be having the same problems (and I havent seen the same question raised elsewhere)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Just seen a post in Satdudez (thanks Shahid for the info on its phoenix type reincarnation) that says that 1.05 CAMS dont work in new ITVD TVs (mentioning the Sony)

Could be you need the 1.03 or earlier then

T

TimeMaster

No the Panasonic has two cam slots on the front under the flap and the Sony has one one the rear under a cover.. I think if you look about on the forums it's a very hit and miss thing some say only a version 1.03 will work some say a viaaccess will work but not with ppv others like me have had no luck at all... So it's sorting the Wheat from the chaff until they are more common I'm afraid !! My advice is find someone who will sell you the cam on the understanding that if it does not work they will refund and try it for yourself !

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I Know someone who has, I think a panasonic IDTV, if I get a chance in the next few days I'll give a 1,03 a try.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Are you near SW London TM ?

I can get the company 1.03 out to you to try if you have no luck

T

TimeMaster

Thanks for the offer Channel Hopper But I'm up North way past Watford .....LOL.....You know the part that does not exist ! What I really need and I have looked all over for it is some software to change the cam from 1.05 to 1.03.....or least read it in a pcmcia slot on the lap top just to make sure the things I have are really cam's.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately the 105 cannot be backward flashed, it's a different CAM.

Rolf

The Aston CAM 1.05 does work in the rear of the Sony IDTV.
Using a card with Omega it receives all channels including the PPV.