Maxi 1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Sweden
Hello again,

In Gothenburg, Sweden.

I hope that someone can help me with this problem.

I bought a panasonic 30 reciever 2nd hand from a satellite dealer in the UK.

At first it worked well with most free view channels except for ITV.

But suddenly the machine would go into standby (red light on) but will not start again. After hitting the on button a number of times it would at last would go on. This problem occured several times.

I spoke to the dealer who says its because that I am in a weak signal area. I checked the signal bars a few time which say I always have between 60 - 80% success.

Anyway the machine did work with no problems for the last 3 weeks. But yesterday it just would not start again and is staying with a red light (for standby I guess). I am not only trying the remote but also hitting the main switch on the front of the reciever.

Is the machine f/%"?d or is there something I dont know that can fix it.

The machine is not on top of any other appliances and is not on the floor so it should not be over heating.

I hope someone can help ????????????????

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Sometimes refreshing the software can solve panasonic problems,this is what you need to do,unplug the digibox from the electricity either from the rear of the box or from the wall socket,leave unplugged for 30 seconds, then hold in the back-up button on the front of the digibox,not the remote,but the digibox back-up buton!!.While holding this button in,reconect the electricity,keep the button pushed in until all the lights on the front of the digibox come on,if you are connected to the tv by scart a message will appear on sccreen telling you new software is being installed and will take ten minutes,wait untill the digibox switches off,and the new software is installed........Brian

Maxi 1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Sweden
Thankyou for your reply Dishdoctor,

But I have tried what you have suggested with no succes.

bigbert

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic TU-DSB30
My Location
UK
Hello, got a Panasonic TU- DSB30 does the same. If you channel surf it locks out with the standye lite on, If it gets hot it locks out with the standbye light on, If the signal is weak (rain etc) it locks out with the standbye light on. I must switch it off (at the power cord) and then back on and it clears up until the next tme.

I think its an overheating probleme as it was under the TV when all this was happening, then took it out and stood it up on its edge to get the air flowing and its been going good for about an hour or so. Going to fit a heat sink and fan from old computer to cool it down. If it works good if not it joins the navy (throw it in the sea)

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
bigbert said:
...I think its an overheating probleme as it was under the TV when all this was happening, then took it out and stood it up on its edge to get the air flowing and its been going good for about an hour or so. Going to fit a heat sink and fan from old computer to cool it down. If it works good if not it joins the navy (throw it in the sea)

This is a common problem with Panasonic 30s in fringe areas (as you can see from the age of this thread), making them useless to many people.

Let us know how you get on with the heatsink, would be interesting to see if you get any improvement.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
There are a whole load of theories on the problems and fixes with these units. I never once found a solution: having spent the best part of a year and a half looking.

If you want my advice (as someone who had TWO units that went into standby titsup)

TRASH THE MOTHER

Get yourself on Ebay and get a nice 2nd hand Pace 430N (one of the TWO I now have, I purchased for GBP25.00 only ;) )

benidormgary

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sigh-only Sky for now-Im back in the UK.......
My Location
Blackpool(Ex-Benidorm and Paignton)
BarMoo said:
There are a whole load of theories on the problems and fixes with these units. I never once found a solution: having spent the best part of a year and a half looking.

More like 2 and a half years since that last Panasonic update that cocked it up:)
The best way to use these 30s in fringe areas(they are still useable) is to resist the urge to "surf" using the BLACK up and down button.Thats what causes the problem.As soon as it looks at a weak channel with less than minimal(but some) quality,-it locks up and refuses to move on to another channel.The 2 ways to overcome this problem is to add all the KNOWN strong channels into your "favourite" channel list,and ONLY use this list,-or,2,-input the channel nos.directly using the numerical pads(again making sure that they are channels that you KNOW you can normally receive.;)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
benidormgary said:
The 2 ways to overcome this problem .......... ;)

A workaround isn't quite a fix :p And yep, I tried all that nonsense. Mine usually crashed going from Channel Four to ?? but thats by-the-by.

I still advise not entertain this horrid STB (was my fave at one time:eek: ) - trash the mother (on ebay) and get yourself something more up to date and supported a little better by SKY.

You'll feel a whole lot better for it: I guarantee it ;)

benidormgary

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sigh-only Sky for now-Im back in the UK.......
My Location
Blackpool(Ex-Benidorm and Paignton)
BarMoo said:
I still advise not entertain this horrid STB (was my fave at one time:eek: ) - trash the mother (on ebay) and get yourself something more up to date and supported a little better by SKY.
You'll feel a whole lot better for it: I guarantee it ;)

My sentiments too,but what I had in mind was him getting his moneys worth for 12 months or so!.:)