Panasonic TU-DSB30

Joe50

Reaction score
My Location
Surrey UK / Austria
From reading this forum I have noticed that some people mention about software problems on this receiver. I have one in the UK and another one in Austria. Both seem to be working well. Can anyone tell me exactly what the known problems are with them.
Better I know what to expect.
Thanks
joe50

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
The main problem seems to be that if you watch a channel with a weak signal (either no picture at all or very broken up), then press channel up or down, the box crashes.

Shouldn’t really be a problem in the UK, but as the box has been sought after by people in weak signal areas for years due to its sensitive tuner there are many annoyed users.

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
Also, since the last software update, many users in Spain have found themselves losing north beam channels that were previously perfect, channel 4 in particular.

I can't even *give* them away these days!

Joe50

Reaction score
My Location
Surrey UK / Austria
Thanks for your prompt replies M8's. So I won't expect any problems on the UK one. Where I am located in Western Austria reception is quite good (24/7 in all weathers on a 1.25 Meter Dish) so I will keep my fingers crossed.
Best Wishes
joe50

barney

Reaction score
PoloMint said:
The main problem seems to be that if you watch a channel with a weak signal (either no picture at all or very broken up), then press channel up or down, the box crashes.

Shouldn’t really be a problem in the UK, but as the box has been sought after by people in weak signal areas for years due to its sensitive tuner there are many annoyed users.

I can confirm all. i live in a fringe area and the box crashes when the signal from the north beam is low.
But Now i can recive always channel 4 but i have lose the other channel like Sky sports news, or eurosport.
It is possible resolve the problem of the software?
Thanks a lot

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
barney said:
...It is possible resolve the problem of the software?...

Not at the moment, all we can do is hope Panasonic release a new version without this 'feature.'

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
barney said:
I can confirm all. i live in a fringe area and the box crashes when the signal from the north beam is low.
But Now i can recive always channel 4 but i have lose the other channel like Sky sports news, or eurosport.
It is possible resolve the problem of the software?
Thanks a lot

I had this same problem with my TU-DSB30, and fitted a PANAFIX2D filter which has cured it 90% of the time. I now rarely get the problem. It cost me GBP16.40 by airmail from _http://www.satcure.com and was easy to fit, although you do need to be able to solder carefully with a small soldering iron.
Regards
Geoff

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Did that help prevent the box crashing when changing from weak high band channels as well as low band ones geoffreys?

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
PoloMint said:
Did that help prevent the box crashing when changing from weak high band channels as well as low band ones geoffreys?

Well although it wasn't designed for that, yes it does - usually. Before I fitted it the problem was really annoying. Now it does still occur, but very rarely.
Regards,
Geoff

barney

Reaction score
PoloMint said:
Not at the moment, all we can do is hope Panasonic release a new version without this 'feature.'

Thank you.
I have a 3mt dish and only with a cable run of 100 mt i can get 2a north beam, but no astra 2d.

regards

barney

Reaction score
geoffreys said:
I had this same problem with my TU-DSB30, and fitted a PANAFIX2D filter which has cured it 90% of the time. I now rarely get the problem. It cost me GBP16.40 by airmail from _http://www.satcure.com and was easy to fit, although you do need to be able to solder carefully with a small soldering iron.
Regards
Geoff

Ok Geoff,
i try to buy This Panafix.
I hope it help me.
Ciao

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Joe50 said:
From reading this forum I have noticed that some people mention about software problems on this receiver. I have one in the UK and another one in Austria. Both seem to be working well. Can anyone tell me exactly what the known problems are with them.

From my personal experience i can tell you i scrapped 4 DSB-30's in the last 6 months.They all had the same problem......they would lockup & crash (only way to recover unplug from mains)...

I totally agree with @polomont's comments..weak signal plays a big factor cos all the above boxes were on small dish but worked normally when connected to a strong signal (being in Cyprus 4.2m dish in my case)

I also think heat plays a factor,the box must not be used in an enclosed cabinet (specially in hot climates)

iceman

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
iceman said:
I also think heat plays a factor,the box must not be used in an enclosed cabinet (specially in hot climates)

iceman

Thats true,but that is a seperate problem with the 30's.You can buy and fit a purpose built fan which clamps onto the main processor chip and keeps it cool.Its a preventative measure,once you get the overheating problem then its too late.

puffin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 150 with an Inverto Black Ultra and a Pace 2600C1
My Location
Borlänge 200km WNW of Stockholm
I also have a Panasonic 30. The problem exists but to my experience is not that big. I live in Sweden 200 km from Stockholm. There is no problem with the horizontal trsp on 2D which I can still get 24/7. The only problem comes if I try to get one of the vertical trsp. This will normally crash the box - unplug and restart and it's fine again.

Cheers
Huffin the Puffin