Pansat PM900 Motor

drj101

Reaction score
hi,
have a quick question. i have seen many of the how-to's and they are very good but i was wondering if there is a specific step by step or setup guide for setting up a Pansat PM900 motor? this is a diseqc/usals compatible motor but im having a very hard time finding any detailed information on it. can anyone guide me to how-to's, or users that have this already installed....please guide me to the appropriate information?

thanks in advance for any help.

p.s. im trying to set this up with a pansat 2500A free to air receiver.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The methodology should be the same for any DiseqC USALS motor, what specific problems are you having?

drj101

Reaction score
rolfw said:
The methodology should be the same for any DiseqC USALS motor, what specific problems are you having?
specifically, it would take a very long post to explain all the diff problems im having. im trying to set up the pansat to catch the 110 and 119 birds from my area. to explain briefly... i was able to catch the 110 with no problem but we are having a very difficult time finding the 119 bird (which is only a few degrees apart). there is nothing blocking or interfering with the signal. my current setup is...
18" direct tv dish with single lnb (2 outputs)
pansat 2500A receiver
pansat pm900 motor
no diseqc switch since im using usals positioning

someone told me that my problem is the skew that it can not be adjusted using that dish. dont know if this is correct or not. also, if i could see a better setup guide for this motor, i can make the necessary adjustments or play with it a bit. there are specific instructions for HH motors, SG2100 motors, but nothing specific for the Pansat motors. just any help that can be provided in terms of guides and how-tos would help. it ''should'' be the same conceptual, but technically it is not the same. and there are diff setup screens depending on which receiver or which motor you use. so i was wondering if i could get some guidance towards something thats more accurate and specific.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Which two satellites are these, I can find one a 110E and one at 120 E Thaicom, are these the ones?

Your geographic location is very relevant in relation to your reception of the satellites, as you are using a relatively small dish. Skew should be 0 degrees on a well setup dish, as the motor should compensate.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry forget the query about which sats, just read you post properly. :)

Looking at 119W, there appears to be nothing on it. http://www.lyngsat.com/dtv5.html

Further information http://www.satcodx6.com/2412/uke/ but no beam information, I may be wrong, but I believe that some of these beams are quite tight and may not be available countrywide without a larger dish.

drj101

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Which two satellites are these, I can find one a 110E and one at 120 E Thaicom, are these the ones?

Your geographic location is very relevant in relation to your reception of the satellites, as you are using a relatively small dish. Skew should be 0 degrees on a well setup dish, as the motor should compensate.

110W=echostar 6/8
119W=echostar 7

since i now have a direct tv dish and subscription now...it was originally setup on 101W for the direct tv bird. after we started the installation we adjusted elevation and azimuth for my location and found the 110 with No Problems. the 110 is the highest bird from my location, so thats why we went to this one first. then when we went to the 119 was the problem, along with the problem of the setup instruction on the motor which are extremely vague and i can not find any setup instructions or how-to's for this Pansat PM 900 motor.

as far as my geographic location...yes, it is impt. like i said, we adjusted everything appropriately and we got the 110 with no problems. but in terms of skew, the motor doesnt seem to adjust the skew when i move it on the receiver screen. furthermore, it does not have specific instructions on how to do this on any of the setup instructions that came with the motor. lastly, a friend stated that these 18'' single lnb dishes can not adjust skew on them. dont know about that, just letting you know what i was told.

im trying to be specific as i can. thanks for helping me out. if you can direct me to the appropriate how-to or guide, id really appreciate that.

drj101

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Sorry forget the query about which sats, just read you post properly. :)

Looking at 119W, there appears to be nothing on it. http://www.lyngsat.com/dtv5.html
you are looking at lyngsats info for direct tv. if you look closer...you will see that on ku bands on 110 there is echo 6/8 and on 119 there is direct tv but there is alos echostar 7.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK, looking at the motor http://www.kusat.com/go.php?path=/mpeg2/motor.php it is a pretty standard DiseqC motor, in which case it doesn't separately adjust LNB skew, it doesn't need to, as it tilts the whole dish to the correct orientation.

So you set up the motor on a perfectly plumb mount and point it Due south, if you don't know your coordinates, you can get them from www.heavens-above.com hopefully you can find a satellite which is near to your due South and set up on that. Set your lattitude on the motor body and you should then be on approximately the correct arc.

drj101

Reaction score
hi...

thx..i know youre trying to help, but please read what i wrote carefully.
first, i explained that i figured out elevation, azimuth, etc correctly. we aligned dish correctly. there are no trees, nothing intefering with signal. dish has always been on a plumb/flat mount. if i did not have this already set up correctly it would have never been able to get the 110 bird with 91% quality. also, i wouldnt be watching direct tv as we type. i also explained that we set up the 110 with no problems. (by the way...if read above...this is the highest bird for my area...so we did the setup for this one first...as you suggested above). i got the part where you explained that it doesnt need to adjust for skew cuz it does it automatically. we set up the latitude and longitude for our area correctly. i do not know how to adjust the skew section in the receiver and i guess it doesnt have to be adjusted by what youre saying. when we did the setup for the 110 in the receivers skew slot it said -45. we left it like that. but dont know if that should be manually changed when you go to the 119 setup. the longitude and the latitude are the same for either bird that wont change. but accdg to the sat calculators/finders we used it gives diff elevation angles for 110 and 110. we tried to adjust it manually and we couldnt find it. there are other things in the setup menu using USALS positioning with this particular receiver/motor that need to be adjusted and we didnt know what to do. so basically i just need 1 thing...

a step by step or how-to guide on a Pansat 2500A receiver/motor setup instructions.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
drj101 said:
hi...

thx..i know youre trying to help, but please read what i wrote carefully.
first, i explained that i figured out elevation, azimuth, etc correctly. we aligned dish correctly. there are no trees, nothing intefering with signal. dish has always been on a plumb/flat mount. if i did not have this already set up correctly it would have never been able to get the 110 bird with 91% quality. also, i wouldnt be watching direct tv as we type. i also explained that we set up the 110 with no problems. (by the way...if read above...this is the highest bird for my area...so we did the setup for this one first...as you suggested above). i got the part where you explained that it doesnt need to adjust for skew cuz it does it automatically. we set up the latitude and longitude for our area correctly. i do not know how to adjust the skew section in the receiver and i guess it doesnt have to be adjusted by what youre saying. when we did the setup for the 110 in the receivers skew slot it said -45. we left it like that. but dont know if that should be manually changed when you go to the 119 setup. the longitude and the latitude are the same for either bird that wont change. but accdg to the sat calculators/finders we used it gives diff elevation angles for 110 and 110. we tried to adjust it manually and we couldnt find it. there are other things in the setup menu using USALS positioning with this particular receiver/motor that need to be adjusted and we didnt know what to do. so basically i just need 1 thing...

a step by step or how-to guide on a Pansat 2500A receiver/motor setup instructions.

The bird may be the highest for your area, but is it at due South, is your longitude 110W or thereabouts?

The reason I ask these questions is that time and time again, we try and solve someone's motor problems, only to find that they have nade a pretty fundamental error and set the motor "0" point to a satellite that is not exactly due South.

PS. Being able to receive a strong signal from one satellite bears little relationship to the pole mount being perfectly vertical, several yes, but one, no.

Got to go out to do some work now, so perhaps someone else can through some light on your problems.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia

drj101

Reaction score
rolfw said:
The bird may be the highest for your area, but is it at due South, is your longitude 110W or thereabouts?

The reason I ask these questions is that time and time again, we try and solve someone's motor problems, only to find that they have nade a pretty fundamental error and set the motor "0" point to a satellite that is not exactly due South.

PS. Being able to receive a strong signal from one satellite bears little relationship to the pole mount being perfectly vertical, several yes, but one, no.

Got to go out to do some work now, so perhaps someone else can through some light on your problems.
out of the 110 & 119 that we want to get....the 110 is the highest TRUE SOUTH of my specific location. and if you want the highest bird you just gotta take into account the bird closest to your longitude. the pole mount is vertical and was set to 0 at due south. the surface is flat/plumb. any other suggestions? and any guidance in terms of a step by step on these motors or guide?
has ANYONE here installed pansat motors with pansat receiver systems?

drj101

Reaction score
Llew said:
Answers to problems related to Pansat RXs and motors can be found on the Al7bar sites, for example http://www.al7bar.tk/forums/index.php? or http://www.al7bar.ca/forums/index.php?
The .tk forum has a section on problems with motors :-(http://www.al7bar.tk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)

Llew
thank you for the links. im already a member of the al7bar north america site but had never visited the one above. i will visit the tk one and see if they can shed some light before i throw the whole system out the window.
the al7 NA, has very limited information on these motors. furthermore, it seems not many people have tried to install these motors themselves or have no experience with the installation of motors. the closest i get to any information is to the installation of other motors that although like i said before.....conceptually they work the same, but technically they are all different and there are different things you have to account for when you are installing them on different receivers. but thx again.

if anyone here has had hands on experience with the installation of the PANSAT RECEIVERS WITH THE PANSAT PM 900 MOTORS, please feel free to guide me in the right direction or a how-to setup guide thats effective.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Unlikely.I may be wrong, but Pansat receivers etc. are mostly used in the US. Although this forum is international in outlook, I don't see many queries regarding these receivers here.
Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question eventually, but queries specific to Pansats seem to be more likely in the links I have posted earlier.

Llew

drj101

Reaction score
Llew said:
Unlikely.I may be wrong, but Pansat receivers etc. are mostly used in the US. Although this forum is international in outlook, I don't see many queries regarding these receivers here.
Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question eventually, but queries specific to Pansats seem to be more likely in the links I have posted earlier.

Llew
hi again llew...
since there is such little info on the pm900 specifically, that is why im trying to ask as many questions as i can in every forum..lol. but you are right, they are mostly used in the US and to top it off they are relatively new, making the info on them even more limited. but i did visit the links you provided and i registered and i will sit down with more time and read, read, read, and then read some more...lol.
thanks again for your willingness to help. the tk forum seems to have a lot more info on the pansat pm 900 motors and their setup, than does the canadian/north america forum (al7bar.ca). i will definitely review all the posts over there and see what i can find. thanks again.