Just Sharing This Paragon ExtFS Linux Reader/Writer for Windows

A

Archive7

I found this tool quite useful for mounting HDD with recordings made by VU+ (Linux, unencrypted).
I usually connect to the network using FileZilla but I happened to have the HDD not connected to the receiver.
It is a lot faster and can copy files directly to the PC.
There is a 10 days free evaluation and then the speed goes down, whatever that means.
If you are going to order, they will give you 10% discount when you try to leave without completing the order.

Write ExtFS volumes in Windows - Paragon ExtFS for Windows®

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
So........ Does this mean that I can read and copy the recorded files on my old Dreambox 7000s, or am I reading this incorrectly?

A

Archive7

The old Dreambox 7000S used IDE HDD so you would need to connect it to a PC that has this option.
The tool should recognize the Linux formatting and mount it with a new drive letter
Please let us know if it doesn't.
Mine has USB connector so it was a lot easier.
Enjoy.

A

Archive7

Another idea is to use an IDE to USB housing. Saves you messing with the PC.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I was able to see the files on the 7000s, but they were not usable, will try later in the week, I do have a USB to IDE unit.

A

Archive7

I also have a Dreambox 7000S HDD with recordings.
Put it in an IDE > USB housing and the tool recognized the HDD and mounted it as drive E and was able to see and play all the movies instantly.
The recordings were pixilized at the time so I don't blame the software.
There is no point in moving them to a PC hard disk, unless you don't intend to buy the software.

A

Archive7

The free 10 days evaluation is over.
The drive can still be mounted, but viewing movies directly from the drive doesn't run smoothly at all.
Copying any file to the PC hard disk is possible and doesn't take much time and then the viewing is very smooth.
I would say it is worth installing it for the occasional use.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If you only want to read files off a Linux HDD then I used to use DiskInternals Linux Reader software. This is free to use and you only pay if you want to write to a Linux HDD - which I never did. Possibly this would remain "fast" enough for playing files? Although this will, of course, depend very much on how you connect to the Linux drive.

Access to Ext 2/3/4, HFS and ReiserFS from Windows

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If you are going to order, they will give you 10% discount when you try to leave without completing the order.
How much were they offering the program to you for?

A

Archive7

If you only want to read files off a Linux HDD then I used to use DiskInternals Linux Reader software. This is free to use and you only pay if you want to write to a Linux HDD - which I never did. Possibly this would remain "fast" enough for playing files? Although this will, of course, depend very much on how you connect to the Linux drive.

Access to Ext 2/3/4, HFS and ReiserFS from Windows
I have it installed already few years ago, but the Paragon is better because it mounts the drive and assigns it a new drive letter.
It is a lot easier to copy files to the PC drive this way.