Paramount launching new channel but NOT on Freesat

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Paramount are launching a new channel next month but a spokesman says it will not be on Freesat because of high costs - but will launch on Freeview, Sky, BT and Talk Talk and probably be FTA on satellite

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
This whole "FTA but not on Freesat" malarkey is just plain stupid. It's like putting some sweets in front of a kid and telling him not to touch it... with nothing to stop him from doing so.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
This whole "FTA but not on Freesat" malarkey is just plain stupid. It's like putting some sweets in front of a kid and telling him not to touch it... with nothing to stop him from doing so.
No it is more like putting them on the top shelf out of normal easy reach - with a vast majority of Freesat box owners either being unaware of "non Freesat mode" or not bothering with it. The non Freesat mode is down to the legal requirement that all satellite tuners must be ble to view all channels that the hardware is capable of receiving.

Freesat is still making a loss and in my opinion this is down to poor management - very little marketing/advertising, over stretching its finances by trying to expand the platform beyond its original remit. It couldn't combat those losses by attracting new channels so raised EPG fees for HD channels with the result of channels leaving the platform and others not joining.

Freesat's EPG fees are very poor value for money compared to Sky's. £36k for an SD slot with just over 2million potential viewers compared to Sky's £75k for around 10 million potential viewers - it is obvious to the bean counters which offers better value. I fear that all this is either the beginning of the demise of Freesat or a severe cutback of its features and future development