Parental Control Plays Farces

Eugenius

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I noticed recently that several movies which I recorded in the personal planner in the Sky+ box had the parental control turned on, although NOBODY has set it to lock the programs. We could not watch those movies, so we had to delete them. Furthermore, I tried to follow instructions from the Sky guide which said the PIN should be the last four digits on the Sky card, but it would not work, and after three attempts it got blocked for ten minutes.
Any idea why this is happening? I have recently redormatted the hard disk, because it was losing space. Rgds, Eugenius

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The pin number is probably the last 4 digits of the card you had replaced 18 months ago. If you threw it away you will have to get Sky to reset it. Once you have the pin, make sure ALL the age restrictions are set to how you want them

Eugenius

Reaction score
Analoguesat said:
The pin number is probably the last 4 digits of the card you had replaced 18 months ago. If you threw it away you will have to get Sky to reset it. Once you have the pin, make sure ALL the age restrictions are set to how you want them

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Well, the problem is that I never set any restrictions, it all popped up from nowhere, meaning that some movies it records but we cannot watch. Could this be related to the hard disk reformatting a couple of weeks ago?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Eugenius said:
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Well, the problem is that I never set any restrictions, it all popped up from nowhere, meaning that some movies it records but we cannot watch. Could this be related to the hard disk reformatting a couple of weeks ago?

Unlikely, - from comments on the DS forum I believe the restrictions are now automatically applied to age restricted stuff shown during the day.

"The pin request is to do with OfCom requirement that if a channel shows a 15/18 film before the watershed a PIN must be required. Its going to be a pain but its not Skys fault its OfCom's"

Eugenius

Reaction score
Analoguesat said:
Unlikely, - from comments on the DS forum I believe the restrictions are now automatically applied to age restricted stuff shown during the day.

"The pin request is to do with OfCom requirement that if a channel shows a 15/18 film before the watershed a PIN must be required. Its going to be a pain but its not Skys fault its OfCom's"

I tried the old card's last four digits, but it won't work. So I guess, I'll have to call Sky?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Try the last four digits in reverse, if not then a simple call to Sky (if that is not an impossibility) should do it. :)

SMRGroup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ ×2, Humax PVR-9100, Force Frontier T90, Humax 0.3dB LNBs ×8, DiSEqC 4:1 switch ×2, Infinity Phoenix USB/serial smartcard programmer, Dragon CAM, ye olde Nokia SAT-1800 IRD (analogue)
My Location
Cheshire
Analoguesat said:
I don't think that's true. Since the latest update (which is evident from the new menu background), requests for a PIN have been popping up all over the place on both my Sky+ boxes, and always when manually recording.

The darn thing keeps asking for a PIN when I play back the cycling from Eurosport and I haven't seen a nekked lady yet!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
SMRGroup said:
The darn thing keeps asking for a PIN when I play back the cycling from Eurosport and I haven't seen a nekked lady yet!

A return to Victorian times maybe, an exposed ankle does it for me....

Have you tried forcing a firmware update into the receiver ?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
ROFLMAO... nekked ankles... O-Ha ... MORE pin numbers to remember...

MwaaaHHAaHaaaaa.... :-away :-lol :-flash :-nuts :-lmao
bugginme%5B1%5D.gif
c021%5B1%5D.gif

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
let me know how you get the pin reset as I'm having exactly the same problem. My PIN just stopped working. I was beginning to think I was just too stupid and had actually forgot it.
I live abroad and would like to know what the procedure is before I phone them and start having to find excuses for the phone line ot being connected.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Maybe thats it. Anyone without an active phone line gets their pin number reset to another four digits.

It would certainly allow Sky to keep a check on/remove boxes that are now outside the UK.

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
although they had better have someway of changing the pin without the telephone being connected. what aout all the people inside the uk but outside of the initial 12 months? if I had the same problem in my uk home theres no way I could connect my box quickly to the phone line. my only phone connection is 3 rooms away and for the sake of resetting a pin I dont believe I'll be drilling holes and laying miles of cable.
If thats their plan they had better think of something better.....
Although lets be honest, who believes SKY really care about the customers abroad? alone the fact that soccer am used to have a slot where people could contact the show and let them know how far away they were and watching sky says to me that they dont really care!!!!Moneys money whether its debited from a uk card or foreign card it still lines ruperts pocket the same.
still nobody has any info on the procedure of pin changing then? oh well, I'll take the plunge and report back soon.
CU

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
the PIN is the last 4 digits of the first card that you had with Sky Digital. If you were early onboard with Digital (not Analogue) then I believe you might be on your third card.....

And Ofcom did not stipulate this, I believe, having followed a thread on DigitalSpy about this [very annoying] new "feature".

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
I've tried these four digits and they just don't work. I've still got my original contract that I signed way back when and the card number is on there. The last four digits are the same as the PIN I've been trying for god knows how long. Its just not happening.