Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
We say this every time but its worth repeating.

Just a reminder to anyone planning to have a look at todays solar eclipse.

DONT look directly at the sun, and under no circumstances try to view the sun directly using binocs or a telescope. You will blind yourself if you try it.

Poke a hole in a piece of card, and project the sun onto a wall or something similar.

You can get interesting effect by letting the sun fall through a kitchen colendar (that spelling dont look right but its the steel thing you strain your veggies with :D ) You get lots of little eclipse shadows!

Maximum totality is only about 20% in the uk, so its not going to get dark.

One of the lads over on DS has spotted this coverage:

There is a feed on
16E
12563 H
3/4

There is video of the sun and scenes of observers.
There is sound occasionally.
No idea where it is coming from
Clearly it is not on an equatorial mount because the operator keeps having to move the camera by hand!

Libya showing reasonably uninterupted coverage on
13E
12653 H
3/4

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Drat these clouds 'O'-red

Will have to watch the total one secondhand via the feeds etc.

Llew

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
There is just about something to see here in Germany.

About an hour ago 12:00 the sun could be seen with a slither of a disc obscuring maybe about 10% of the bottom part of the sun.

Now that slither, has moved slightly up the left hand side (as viewed) (like the trajectory of the eclipse is SE to NW).

Interesting.

Mark.

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
What a load of rubbish, the spanish tv said we would see it with 30% darkness. yet there is no moon in the sky and it never went even slightly dark. What a rip-off!({})

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
AlexBellisBrown said:
What a load of rubbish, the spanish tv said we would see it with 30% darkness. yet there is no moon in the sky and it never went even slightly dark. What a rip-off!({})

:-lmao :-lmao

You wouldntnt notice any real darkening of the sky until more than about 50% is covered - under partial eclipses, the dimming happens so slowly your eyes just adjust to it.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
AlexBellisBrown said:
... there is no moon in the sky ... ({})
:eek: :eek:

It did happen, promise. With the right protection, partial whatevertheycallit was noticeable here.

SKY News Active are still covering it - if you don't want to miss out.

Mark.

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
AlexBellisBrown said:

You only see the moon coz the light of the sun is reflected off it's surface. During an eclipse, the part of the moon facing the sun (and therefore reflecting it's light) is facing away from the Earth, so you won't see the moon except for when it covers the sun (and then you don't see the moon, you just see a bit of the sun missing).

Basic physics really.

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
So the moon was there... sadly i missed it, a shame really as i had black bin bags waiting...:-doh! oh well, only have to wait until 2026 till it happens again here!:eek: