PayPal users targeted by email scam

N

net1

Subscribers to the online payment scheme are being sent emails aimed at conning them out of personal information
PayPal subscribers are being targeted by a fraudulent email scheme designed to con them into handing over their personal information.

Over the past week, users of eBay's online payments service have been receiving emails masquerading as official PayPal alerts, eBay spokesman Kevin Pursglove confirmed on Friday. The messages ask recipents to submit bank and credit card details.

Tricks involving bogus email posing as legitimate messages from eBay and PayPal are nothing new. However, the latest spoof email -- which included a PayPal logo, links to PayPal's site and official-looking fine-print -- appeared particularly convincing, said Brenda Frymire, a PayPal user in California who received the email on Thursday.

The emails tell recipients that their PayPal accounts have been randomly selected for maintenance and placed on "Limited Access" status. The message, which appears to come from info@paypal.com, instructs the account holder to enter credit card and bank account numbers in an online form embedded in the email.

Pursglove said that the "spoof" email did not come from eBay or its PayPal unit and that it is very likely a trick to rob people of private information. He said the company has received several complaints, but has yet to figure out who is behind the scheme.

"We encourage people to notify us and not to respond to these emails," said Pursglove, noting that eBay makes it a practice not to request users' personal information via email.

According to Pursglove, it has proven difficult to catch the perpetrators of spoof email fraud, which have also plagued Amazon.com and America Online, despite efforts by e-commerce companies and Internet service providers to identify and locate them. The eBay spokesman didn't know if anyone had actually been apprehended for such a scam.

But eBay has taken steps over the past year to counteract such tricks, Pursglove said. For instance, eBay has begun notifying account holders by email whenever they receive a request to change an account's password or user name.

The company is also testing a system designed to detect fraud and tampering. In addition, the company posts messages on its discussion boards about how to protect personal information.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It never ceases to amaze me what thes slimes will get up to, I bet they got a lot of people falling for it as well.

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
WARNING PAYPAL USERS-

Just had this email from "PoyPol"-

Dear Paypal Member.

We are currently performing regular maintenance of our security
measures. Your account has been randomly selected for this maintenance,
and you will now be taken through a series of identity verification
pages <http://www.paypal.com.cgi-bin-webscr@poypol.com/access/?O3z2igTK>

Protecting the security of your PayPal account is our primary concern,
and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be
answered.

fraudulent Email

The above is a fraudulent email and i've reported it to PayPal and here is the reply from paypal-

Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

Thank you for bringing this suspicious email to our attention. We can confirm that the email you received was not sent to you by PayPal. The website linked to this email is not a registered URL authorized or used by PayPal. We are currently investigating this incident fully. Please do not enter any personal or financial information into this website.

If you have surrendered any personal or financial information to this fraudulent website, you should immediately log into your PayPal Account and change your password and secret question and answer information. Any compromised financial information should be reported to the appropriate parties.

BEWARE

Have you seen the web page for poypol, just have a look at some of the questions they are asking, Like ATM PIN, credit card number, bank account number.... ??? would anyone be that stupid to enter details like that ?

have a look here poypol.com

take care
Chris.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Haven't had one of those, but I guess that they are just random mails, will certainly be warey though.