PC card CI module/CAM/card compatibility

dazed

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello all,

I finally decided to buy a Hauppauge nexus-s and it's CI module. I thought I'd done my homework before buying it but something concerns me...

I've seen a lot of reports of compatability problems between Viaccess2 cards/cams and certain receivers. I looked on the hauppauge website and they give the following compatibility list.

Viaccess Tested and working
Cryptoworks Tested and working
Irdeto Tested and working
Seca Tested and working with ab Version 1.23b
Betacrypt Tested and working
PowerVu NOT Tested
Mediaguard NOT Tested
Conax Tested and working
Nagravision Tested and working with ab Version 1.23b
Eurocrypt (M, S2) NOT Tested
Allcam Tested and working

This list doesn't mention viaccess2/irdeto2 etc. (unless it's implied).

Should I be concerned about purchasing a viewing card/cam with one of these latest encryption systems or not? I guess I may not easily be able to return a Cam/Card to the supplier :(

When problems occur, are they usually related to receivers with inbuilt cams (that become obsolete) or are the problems more general than that.

Please forgive my questions if they seem naive, I'm still at the bottom of a steep learning curve!

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
Well, if it supports all tested CAMs, you can be pretty sure that it will support Via2 as well, or at least after a firmware update. I would have bought it, the decision is yours. I have a WinTV nova sat card without a CI module and the card is really worth the money.

iceeman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hi Dazed, i do not think you should worry too much as the card being pc based will almost certainly be able to accept a software update to allow new ci modules to be used as they come along.
Also unless you intend to use official subscriptions to view with, the main benifit of these cards is the softcam software which does not need a ci to work with. If, or when these new systems are cracked and made public you can be sure that the software will be available.

dazed

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies,

I do intend using this card with official subscription cards and I bought the CI extension module specifically for this purpose. I might get into the "softcam" stuff later when I have a bit more experience with digital satellite issues.

Looks like I don't have too much to worry about..

Many thanks

dazed...

P

PipiSATTV

Well i own the card and in theory it shouldn't have problems with viacces 2 cam.

But for information scrambling with softcam or with a CI a cam and a card(official or not) i think softcam is more easier.

So the only time i would buy a CI with a pc dvb card is if i had an original card and wanted to view channels not hacked yet.

Hey but it's you choice.

Genie

Make a wish
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 with 320GB HDD running Nabilosat 0.12
1 metre motorised dish. Intel core i7 920 PC
My Location
London
Just to add, since its a Common Interface, it would adhere to those CI standards, so you should pretty much be able to add any standard CAM and it should work.

theslydog

Reaction score
My Location
moon
I have a CI module and it works fine with all the Cams I have tried in it.

No Viaccess2 in my area that you can get a card for but going on the above info it should be fine.

yorgo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I also have a Nexus-s + CI.
I want to decode D+ (nagra Hispasat 30º).
I'm using a Matrix Reloaded CAM with 1.06 an I can't see anything.

If I use the original-legal smartcard from provider and put the right boxkey in the MR CAM... Would I see the legal contracted channels at least?

Which DVB SW program shall I use?. I think progDVB doesn't support HW_SI, or I coudn't find this option. I'm using MultiDec, it can read the MR CAM and so.

Thanks in advance,