My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
80cm Dish + 45cm Dish via Disecq A/B.
My Location
England
Hey guys, my computer keeps rebooting after capping for say 6mins unless i minimise progdvb to system tray, i think it maybe cpu, i had old cooler shit temperature so i got a coolermaster aero, now my cpu is 50oC athlon xp 2800+ which i can only run at 2400+ underclocked otherwise keeps rebooting, is my cpu on the blink or is this a system problem, i seen lots of differnt errors, SkyEMU.sys and everything but not just progdvb does this, when i encode video it also does this, any ideas?

hmtheping

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Barnsley south yorkshire
check the settings in your bios
what is the FSB (front side bus speed)
if in doubt restore your bios defaults then check your cpu temp but 50c seems ok to me mine runs at 52c no probs with it at all
kind regards
hmtheping

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000HD, Super DARK MOTOR, 80cm Dish, SKY+ HD, HTPC w/7MC
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
sounds under powered to me, is the vcore set to 1.65v?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yeah, could be voltage, or overtweaked BIOS settings (or temp might just peak under load).

Tried/got a very thin layer of decent silver paste?

What CPU fan speed control do you have available? Can you set it to mental-full-speed mode for a test?

D4ftpunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
My Location
England
i set at full speed mode on my cpu fan, its a coolermaster aero fan so good one, its a athlon xp 2800+ which im running i think at AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (T-Bred), 1.66 GHz, 256 KB speeds instead of 2800+ as i lowered fsb to 133 i think and vcore i didnt touch, in the bois. Any ideas? seems to happen more on hot days but my cpu temp cannot be that high as its a good heatsink and fan and i have a very very thin layer of thermal paste on, just enough to conceal die

hmtheping

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Barnsley south yorkshire
D4ftpunk said:
i set at full speed mode on my cpu fan, its a coolermaster aero fan so good one, its a athlon xp 2800+ which im running i think at AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (T-Bred), 1.66 GHz, 256 KB speeds instead of 2800+ as i lowered fsb to 133 i think and vcore i didnt touch, in the bois. Any ideas? seems to happen more on hot days but my cpu temp cannot be that high as its a good heatsink and fan and i have a very very thin layer of thermal paste on, just enough to conceal die

I would set it to the default in your bios then work up from there
Do you have a mother board book manual????
what mother board are you using D4ftpunk ???
Allso what memory
kind regards
hmtheping

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Not an obvious one then.

If it was my problem, I'd put the BIOS back to bog standard for the CPU, whack two more case fans in (or take the case cover off and sit a desk fan next to it as a test), replace the northbridge fan (if you have one) and if that didn't work, then start swapping bits out, starting with the CPU, then the RAM, then the motherboard.

You probably don't like the sound of any of this, but everything you say tends to indicate to me that it's temperature related, and sometimes swap-outs are the only way to find it.

Easy to say if, like me, you have a bus-load of parts under your desk!

Good luck.

P.S. you probably don't want to hear this either, but I don't rate the Aero, and would recommend the Akasa Silver Mountain II, but I guess you've spent your cash now. :)

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
in theory most decent fans should be enough to cool the cpu in its 'stock' state...

i certainly would not be happy if my 2800+ only ran at 2400+ speeds...

what ya want is a 1.35w 2400+ mobile running at 2.5ghz... move over mr overated P4...

D4ftpunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
My Location
England
I have tried playing around with the bios already, its a gigabyte motherboard, and plenty of cooling
inside a coolermaster atcs alluminium case, as i say i think the cpu may be on its way out possibly? as i bought it off my brother and he is an overclock whore! :p

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
is the cpu definatly a 2800+

i'd get your brother to sort u out a replacement, the cheeky bar steward...

if ya gonna buy a new cpu, get a mobile amd from cpucity, :-ohmy)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
D4ftpunk said:
I have tried playing around with the bios already, its a gigabyte motherboard, and plenty of cooling
inside a coolermaster atcs alluminium case, as i say i think the cpu may be on its way out possibly? as i bought it off my brother and he is an overclock whore! :p
Mmmm, yes. Brothers, Overclockers and Wh*res. All to be avoided, and especially if they are the same person!