Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
We can beat that price :
The Elite mobo youve mentioned £ 39.00
Athelon xp 2100 £ 63.00
TOTAL £102.OO +vat (the dreaded)
==== ================== £120.00
ARIA TECH posted in the Links (another good supplier)
DAVE.
If youve got a magnifying Glass (and steady hand) you can close
the level 2 bridges on an xp and this unlocks the multiplyer,So if you have a good cooling fan, (or water cooled like me) you should be able to make this mother fly. You will need a good fan for this
if noise is not too important big R Ive got 1 you can have for Ditto.
DAVE.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OK, the 4in1 didn't work, so its on the phone or the web on monday morning, getting fed up with the problem now, so its a new MoBo and Processor. :)

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
Computers r great aint they Big R: No logical reason y they **** u around,( until u find the problem that is) then its Urika, Y didnt i think of that in the first place. If i had your comp in front of me i would find the prob or probs straight away (i`m a bit of a wizz with computers) Hardware NOT software. Plus ive got that many spare parts i could have tested everything. But the fact that the P3 is 3 years old (a millenium) in Comp tec is i think part of the problem . Microshite Xp is not really backwards compatable with
software & a lot of hardware.(its a grey area somthing works 1 day then dies the next) You r better off with a new setup. And at todays prices (no better time to buy) DAVE.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I know what you mean Dave, I manage to swap and fiddle with things to make them work normally, but this one has done me up.

Its probably overdue for a change now anyway, so away I go. :) If you could PM me with a phone number or link to the best place, I'd be obliged.

T

Tuvok

Rolfw,
All very good advice beinbg given to u, but I think ur barking up the wrong tree, U mention that this used to happen when u had a different graphics card also, so if this is the case, it is not a graphic crad issue, but more a software issue with one of your programs running in the back ground (like virus protection) or something else conflicting with something else at the time of lock up. Have you run chkdsk /f to find and fix errors? also have you tried to upgrade your IE, I had similar problem with my IE and when i upgraded the lockup cleared. The final thing you could which wont hurt, is re-install the windows xp pro over itself, it wont overwrite your files, but will restore drivers, also make sure you save your fav links first as this may get overwritten.

Tuvok :D

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
Tuvok he has also stated it happens (somtimes when its in bootup) and no software loaded yet, ie: bios info on black screen,
(come to think of it Big R) does it do it before yoyr HD starts spinning. Dave.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
@ Dave and Tuvok, I'm just trying to remember what happened this morning, you know how it is, you don't always watch the screen on restart. This morning, when attempting restart, I'm not sure that it even got to the bios screen, but I'll have to check it if it happens later. Its been as good as gold tonight, typical. :)

I don't use Internet Explorer too much now, even though I have the latest version, I installed SP1 as well and had done an XP repair prior to that, but didn't stop the problem. I'm pretty convinced that it's either a Bios or processor problem and this will be solved hopefully with the Mobo and processor swap after Christmas, (thanks Dave) ;).

Another point, I can only restart by pressing the hard reset button on the PC, a Ctrl, Alt, Delete will not work, no matter how long aI wait.

T

Tuvok

Hi Burnt Chips
Yes what you say is true, but Rolfw, do u get the post boot screen, by that i mean all the bios info, and graphic card details just as soon as you switch on?, if you do, and then u c the windowsXP starting, then it is not your Bios, but if you dont get past the post boot, then it will be, and, a quick test is to go into it and reset the bios to default values and then try again., if this dont work, look for a bios flash on the net from your mobo manufacturer and flash it, that will set it right again and it should boot up fine.

If you do c windows starting and then it stops, it is ur bootsector and will need to be repaired.
Tuvok

T

Tuvok

Rolfw,
One final question? does it only lock up in IE or when browsing the net?
id the answer is yes, it is the service pack 1,
this is what caused mine to lock up, but only when i was browsing the net with IE6
Tuvok

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I'll have to wait until it does it again, normally it boots up in the morning with no problem, its only if it has locked up that it won't re-boot sometimes and I can't remember whether the bios screen actually shows.

It did at one time fail the RAM test on start, but i took out the 64Mb chip and it didn't do it again.

I don't use IE for browsing, I now use opera, but the problem happened before I installed SP1 as well, in fact was one of the reasons I installed it.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Could you restart using Ctrl Alt Delete Tuvok?

T

Tuvok

Rolfw,
No I could not , like you everything locked up, so I had to do a hard re-boot but shutting down the pc maually.
Tuvok

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
I had a weird one like that sometime ago, ie you couldnt do a reboot, pressing reset button didnt help, couldnt even turn off the pc, the only way to turn off was to pull out the power cord. It turns out to be the problem with the NIC card, it locked up while you were surfing the Net, couldnt reset, couldnt even power off. Change the NIC card it's ok since. NIC card was SMC etherpower 10/100

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Now that's an interesting one, and a relatively cheap one to test, I'll pop out and get one during the week and see if it makes a difference I have a Linksys LNE100TX running into a Nokia M1122 Gateway Router. I'll need another couple when I go to France at Christmas, I'm installing in my two nephews' PCs, so I've got to get a couple anyway.