PC Locking up when using Browser + other programs

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Perhaps someone can shed some light on this problem

PIII
576 Meg Ram
Via Chipset
Win XP Pro
Radeon 8500 Graphics
Soundblaster 1024
NIC
Ethernet connection to Nokia Gateway DSL Router.

When running 98se, the mouse pointer would freeze and i would have to tab out of everything to shut down and restart. This would only happen when typing posts on Forums. (used to happen with old Graphics card as well)

Started happening again after installing XP Pro, but now the whole PC locks up and even Ctrl Alt Dlete doesn't work.

I believe it may be the Bios chip, or Processor, I have tried swapping out some of the RAM.

It has on a couple of occasions not got past the Bios screen on reboot.

Any ideas?

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
If your having problems with it not passing the bios it's sure that software is not to blame.
It could well be a problem with heat. If you say that you have swapped the memory.
Be sure the fan on the processor is turning and at a good speed. I've know a fan to turn but very slowly.
Also try running you computer with the case open. Let some air in and see what happens.
For heat tests some people even run there motherboard out of the case completly.

Or there is the bin option

nobbly

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, the bin option is not on at the moment, I have too many calls on my limited resources, I'll check the processor fan, but seem to remember that it has happened fairly early on after initial boot. I still may take a chance and order a 1.4 PIII slot one witha new fan and replace my now archaic PIII 600, i think I can do it for £120+VAT.

malling

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Midlands UK
Rolf, just a thought will your M\B accept the new chip or are you thinking of buying M\B and processor.

Have you thought of the Athlon range of processors a M\B and processor (1800+ or greater could be brought for less than you quoted for PIII.

Windows 98 will not accept more than 256MB memory unless it is patched. Think more information can be found on Microsoft site.

Hope this helps.

Malling.

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
Also Could try a new power supply. Sometimes these do strange things to your computer.

nobbly

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Power supply could be an option Nobbly, I believe that there is a 350/400 Watt supply that will function with PIII and PIV.

@ Malling, The memory shouldn't be a problem as I'm running XP, it works OK in 98se as well. The Athlon option may be of interest, have you got a link for it, providing the Mobo has an AGP slot it would be acceptable.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London

malling

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Midlands UK
Sorry Rolf have no link, used to own a computer shop but still build comps for friends, thinking of setting up again but its pretty cut throat these days.

The outlet I use is for trade only but I could pick up Athlon 1800+ and elite M\B(K7 S5A) for £120 or less inc VAT. Pity you dont live in Derbyshire!! I can get most parts at reasonable prices.

I have built several computers using this combination and found I have had no probs with them.

By the way am using Win 2000 PRO at moment on my own comp and others I have built. Very good OS!!

Hope this helps.

Malling. :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Latest episode, thanks to Arizona6 for the link to the memory tester http://www.docmemory.com , I've tested the memory modules over a 10 hour period and they come up clear, so next thing may be to try the power supply, I'll try and get a big one that'll be OK after upgrade as well.

malling

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Midlands UK
Funny, just fixed something like this yesterday.Is your M\B capable of using the Radeon graphics card I know it only needs 2X AGP but some M\B(with onboard graphics chipsets and others) do not seem to use the AGP slot properly and can cause the computer to lock up(this can happen at different times).

I'm almost sure your power supply is not a problem as you can use the comp, if it was the power supply at fault it would just shut off(no power) and not just lock up.

Does your M\B bios have hardware monitor you could check how hot your processor is running then.

Malling.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Interesting point Malling, I used to get a similar problem when I had my old Diamond Stealth AGP card, running under 98se, but only with regard to the mouse not responding. This has taken it a stage further, so perhaps it does have an issue with the Radeon card and in particular the AGP.

I believe that there is some way of monitoring the temperature of the processor, but not sure how.

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
Hi big R (how do you get 576 meg of ram) is it a 512, & 64,
or 2 x 256 & 64, in fact a few conbinations, But its always wiser
to start with a matched pair (if multiple chips used), Try your biggest chip or chips first ,then if ok add more, Memorys funny
your setup can give you the runaround yet on a diff mobo work fine. Also have you installed Via 4 in 1 files for mobo, always get the latest update as your disk that came with mobo wont have a clue what xp is. (and dont install the infa red shite or mini port unless your gonna use). DAVE.

malling

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Midlands UK
@Rolf, if your M\B support it the the temperature of the processor is in the Hardware Monitor part of the bios settings.

I am sure that it is your graphics\motherboard combination that is the problem though. Try getting a M\B that support 4X AGP but with no onboard graphics, you would only have buy this if you wanted to keep your other kit.

Malling.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
@ Dave, Yes, the memory was 2 x 256 and 1 x 64 and all seemed to work fine for a while, but I took the 64 out when problems started. I've had my doubts on the bios software and may well phone up today and order the new bios chip as it has AGPx4 support, its only £40 so if it doesn't work it won't cost me a fortune, it may also be happier with the Radeon.

@ Malling, there are no onboard graphics with my motherboard, it did have onboard sound though which I disabled, as the new BIOS chip will accept 4xAGP, I may well try that option first and see what happens.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Checked the core temperature of the processor, 66 degrees C, have installed the 4in1 Via drivers. What setting should I have for the AGP gateway?

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
@ Rolfw: The Bios chip costs £40??? The new mobo is cheaper than that!! You could also download the Bios from the mobo website and flash your existing one rather than "buy" a new bios chip. It doesnt help in your case anyway Rolfw, more like the memory chips or even the video driver is not quite "compatible". I dont like ATI so much, its driver often "shaky" and buggy. Did you install XP over 98se?

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
Big R: Dont install Mini-port or Infa-red drivers (unless u use em)
other than that let it auto-install if still have probs its likely to b either CPU or Mobo i`d tend to go for CPU as Mobos r quite reliable (unless like me you`re always trying to overclock em)
, As for £40 for a bios chip R u ILL
Do as dragonfly says get another Mobo. Micro Direct is doing an
agpx4 for a socket 370 for £41 incl vat, But being a P111, (like me obsolete) Id bite the bullet and go for a Athelon xp1800 and new mobo £130 incl at Micro Direct. Dave.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hi dragOnfly, I installed XP alongside 98se, so the system is dual boot and XP was a clean install, even though I don't really use 98se anymore.

The long burn test on the memory modules (10+ hours) produced no failed tests, so I'm pretty sure that it is not them.

Could well be the video drivers, even though they are only a couple of months old, strangely enough I have managed to play Cossacks for several hours with no lockups and that is very video intensive.

It'll be interesting to see if installing the VIA 4in1 drivers make any difference as well.

I was hoping not to have to carry out any major updates to this system, as the plan was, in the new year to build a new unit and use this one as a web server for my website, but of course, circumstances may dictate otherwise. :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
@ Dave, was looking at the Athlon option, but was wondering whether the Mobo will take my existing memory, or whether I will have to buy DDR?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I think i might go for the upgrade now, just had a look at the prices, 2100+266Mhz AMD Athlon XP socket a OEM
Elite K7S5A Skt-A AMD DIMM/DDR Snd ATX Less than £140 for the two and I can use my existing memory until I have the money to upgrade to DDR. :) I presume that my 250W ATX power supply and case will be OK as well.