pc satellite

sawacomp

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone assist me? I have a desktop pc and wanted to get satellite channels on my pc. I do not have a clue on how to get about. Does anyone know anyone whom i could contact regarding purchase and installation. I do not know what to get or where to begin. Any assistance is highly appriciated.

Thanks once again.

Bubu74

Reaction score
My Location
italy
Hi,
are u able to install a pci card such as SkyStar 2?? have u got the dish installed properly? I've done this way:

contacted a technician for installation of the dish and wiring to my house near the PC, then i installed myself the pci card and setup the app to watch satellite channels..

maybe more info about your situation are important to help you better,

bye bye

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I'm sure we can help you.

Please give us a little more info on what equipment you already have (i.e. dish, cabling etc.), and what you want to watch on your PC.

To give you a rough idea (starting from nothing), for about £200 (entry level but reliable kit) excl. fitting, you can have more than you can watch.

kalamar

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Best card to get is the Nexus-S or SkyStar-1 they will run on about any computer and have hardware mode/video-audio out connections, so you can use a modulator to run the signal all over your house on channel 3-4 to many tv sets. Bigger the dish the better, 76-110 cm works fine for me. Dont worry about a HH motor now as you will go nuts getting it going if your a beginner.

sawacomp

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
I'm sure we can help you.

Please give us a little more info on what equipment you already have (i.e. dish, cabling etc.), and what you want to watch on your PC.

To give you a rough idea (starting from nothing), for about £200 (entry level but reliable kit) excl. fitting, you can have more than you can watch.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Like I said I do not have any equipment and do not know where or what to buy to view satellite channels on my pc. I would like to get started but dont know where to begin. Hopefully watch european and asian channels. What do I buy where and who installs. Hope you can assist. Thanks once again.

Kind regards,
Sawacomp

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
For a starter kit, I would recommend the following :-

Triax TD88cm dish (£50)
Decent dish mounts (£25)
MTI Blue Line 0.6db LNB (£10 - £15)
CT100 coaxial cable (£10)
Moteck SG2100 DiSQqC 1.2 motor (£65)
SkyStar2 TV PVR PCI satellite card (£45)
MyTheatre DVB viewer V2.76 (Free)
'F' connectors, self-amalgamating (waterproofing) tape, cable clips etc. (Nominal)
Fitting of external hardware (£120? or DIY)

You'll have to shop around to get these prices. Lots of advice on this board as to where. You can of course do the fitting yourself if you are handy with the toolkit. If you do this, I would recommend you buy a cheap compass (£5) and a basic satellite finding meter (£10 - £15).

If you want to cut the cost, you can leave the motor out (can always add it back in later).

The dish size may need to be altered based on where you are.

Hope this helps.
STICK

rob12770

fac ita
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 X Technomate TM-5302HD, Blade 7000s, triax 95cm STAB HH90, 1 M TM dish TM2300 super motor.
My Location
Glasgow
sawacomp said:
Hi,

Can anyone assist me? I have a desktop pc and wanted to get satellite channels on my pc. I do not have a clue on how to get about. Does anyone know anyone whom i could contact regarding purchase and installation. I do not know what to get or where to begin. Any assistance is highly appriciated.

Thanks once again.

to be honnest, mate, i just got sat on the pc, but its not good,
the software is so bad, and i have tried it all, my theatre is prolly the best but that means nout, cant get my ss2 remote to work either.. so having to use the mouse or keyboard as a remote.....and people are not very forthcomming about softcams and plugins ect.
I am really saying there is WAY too much messing aroung with pcsat, dont bother :<(

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Oh Dear..... :(
What is it you want to know about softcams and plugins
That you can't find out about here. ??
Perhaps we can help. :)

L

rob12770

fac ita
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 X Technomate TM-5302HD, Blade 7000s, triax 95cm STAB HH90, 1 M TM dish TM2300 super motor.
My Location
Glasgow
oh its been a nightmare lancelot,
i need to know exactly where to get softcams i beleive they are called for astra, i understand i cant hack s*y but there must be other channels available,until i get a motorised dish or monoblock lnb,
and how do these softcams work, what other plugins do ineed ?
my remote control for the s2 wont work....AAAGGGHHH!
i was REALY dissapointed with skystar 2 as the software is really clunky and bad, i was expecting onscreen display like a settop box, i have tried all the software available, its a sucky.is there no nice clean software,.
i guess what i need is a propper guide to pci dvb cards, these forums are great IF you know whats its all about but as a novice its a real headache....

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Ok matey :)

For softcams go here
h**p//www.dvbsoft.net/download.php?list.29

And for keys this is as good as any
h**p//byksat.kabel1.cz/dreambox

Obviously only if you already have a subscription to anything that you might open.:D

You really need to be able to move your antenna these days as the Prov's are changing thier stuff more quickly so you will have more options. If you have to point at only one, then 13E is probably your best bet at the mo.

Try these for a couple of hours and let us know how you're doing.

L

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
rob12770 said:
....but as a novice its a real headache....

I think it depends on where you're coming from, and I'm not criticising you here.

If you just want free TV and can't be bothered to work at it, then go buy a $ky sub.

If you want free TV, and are prepared to work hard to get it running and keep it running, then you must firstly read a lot, secondly ask all the questions that you can't find answers to (after reading loads) and thirdly, when it's all sorted, pass a little knowledge on to someone else. We do all this for nothing. We don't get paid, and we don't get a kick out of being unhelpful. We do encourage people to go as far as they can by reading first, and then help someone else after. There aren't enough hours in the day to help everyone here if they won't help themselves.

If you don't really care about watching TV, and you just like to play with technical and challenging stuff, then you chose the right hobby. Especially if you like flakey and clunky software!

I will (and regularly do) spend whatever time it takes to get a willing noob with a PC card from ' :eek: Help I'm lost!' to ' :D Thanks!' because I enjoy it.

None of this is directed at you, I'm just warning anyone who just wanders into this without having their eyes open.

If you want some help, tell me what you know, what you don't, and I'll fill in the blanks (for the SS2 anyway).

STICK

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Cheers STICK :) Nicely put.

Over to you in the Studio....:D

rob12770

fac ita
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow
ok, firstly thanks lancelot, very helpfull mate :>)
and stick i take your point, i am very active in many forums, crt projectors, etc, but this one is new so please be patient im a bit cluelees pal, :>)
can someone give me a definative answer as to which dvb veiweing software i should use, i am using mytheatre, but i have all the rest, dvbdream is a nightmare, and i cant get progdvb to work, no sat list comes up, do i have to use the technisat dvb programe to use my remore ? not that i can, cos when i installed it, the winlirc couldnt find my remote and i assumed i could go back later and fix this.. it seems not, why (in mytheatre) are most of the channels red (locked) when in fact many are not, i have been changing them in their properties to be green (unlocked),
also, as i am pointed at the bsbsat, astra whatever, why cant i get vox and rdf and all the others i used to get when it was analog, are they still fta ? i can only get a few on astra 1 19.2e, most that i can get are on astra 2 28e, why is this ?

would sofcams help ?
i am using yankse 1.3.2.1, s2emu 1.1.0.0, univiacamemu, and myepg, with my theatre,
will these do anything for me on the sats i can currently pick up ?

thanks and sorry for being a pain in the ass..
rob

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Thanks m8. We don't like frustrated members, we want members to get what they want.

O.K. I have to say that MT V2.76 is not the greatest piece of software. It's not flash, it doesn't have all the extras, but it gets you sat TV for £45. You get what you pay for.

Sometimes, you get what you don't pay for too. :)

There are few definative answers in this game. Like many things, it's up to you to make up your own mind. I personally like MT, as it is the most stable in my experience, and that's the number one priority for me.

The later versions have some of the options you allways wanted, and flash OSDs etc, but they fall on their arse on a regular basis.

Can't tell you about remotes. Don't have one, and wouldn't want one. Sorry.

28.2E is pretty boring. Not much to be had except BBC. 19.2E has the Dig!tal + package which can be opened. Very nice. Also 13E has $ky Italia and Cyfr*+ open. Even better. Also TP$ on that one. Best sat out there ATM.

Try just sorting one thing out at a time. Massive posts like this are really difficult to answer :) .

Firstly, tell us about all your hardware, esp. dish/LNB/motor and which sats you can see.

Then, forget about all the many bits of viewing software and concentrate on one. If you chose MT V2.76, I can help you. You can then apply your knowledge to ProgDVB after that.

Quickly, you only need S2emu V1.1 for decrypting - nothing else. Forget them. You will need it to see anything useful.
The only other things you need are motor plugins, keys, and S*ca 2 data tables and configs.

Finally see my other epic posts today. Lot of info there.

Digest this lot, then we'll get some transponder lists sorted out for you. That's your biggest problem at the moment, and it's because MT V2.76 is ageing a bit now.

STICK

rob12770

fac ita
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow
well stick, thanks for all that,
as to my dish i have no idea , the coucil have stuck lots of small dishes on the roof and there is a socket on the wall, i can put my own dish up though as i have a nice big balconny facing in the right direction :>)
you say things like 13e and all, that but is there anyway of knowing what the name of the sats are as all the various software words them differently, and i can pickup eurobird 1 whatever that is, as i get the horror channel, is it a new name for an astra sat ?
do you know what i mean ? lol

also, is digital just verticle ? it seems so..
the trouble with MT is the channel list is not clear , i have tv out to my telly, and its not great as it is..im sqinting a bit now..fine if i run it through the projector but not much point in watching QVC on a 6" screen :>(

i hate everting digital, i yearn for the days of analog, much easier,
all of these things are rubbish compared to their analog counterparts...
digi cams, digi projectors, digi cable tv, didgi watches,tv.s you name it , i hate it....CD'S..DAT ..({})

cheers rob
very close to smashing a skystar 2.

mr_boyson

Reaction score
Go to h**p://www.lyngsat.com for a list of Satellite names, positions and frequencies of the channels

rob12770

fac ita
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow
mr_boyson said:
Go to h**p://www.lyngsat.com for a list of Satellite names, positions and frequencies of the channels

cheers chavvy, reading it now :)

rob12770

fac ita
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow
lol, yeah, good site, kind sir..

but it says that i can get itv2 on astra 2.. cant seem to find it..hmm]

rob

mr_boyson

Reaction score
rob12770 said:
it says that i can get itv2 on astra 2.. cant seem to find it..

If my memory serves me correctly ITV2 is part of the S*y package so you won't be able to get that. ITV3 should be FTA, although I haven't checked it recently.