Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 500S
PC:
2.66 GHZ
2 GB RAM
My Location
Egypt
I've had lots of fun trying to get this one to work. I've reached a set of instructions that work for me and I hope they will work for you.
I am using a DreamBox 500S with Gemini Release 3.6 I believe.
You have to have VLC 0.8.6.c, that's the one that worked for me, the later version wouldn't work, or I just didn't have the patience to see it work.
Anyhow here is what I do:
-Logon to the Dreambox from your browser, so if your dreambox's IP is 10.0.1.25
then put that in the browser and put root for username and dreambox for password.
- Select Stream from the left column buttons
- Select Settings at the bottom of the screen
- A new window should pop up with a title of "Streaming Server Settings"
Click on Edit underneath the top header section "Server Settings"
- Enter your network PC's IP in the Server IP field ( thats the computer on the network with all your videos )
- Click Change
- Exit out of the Server Settings Window
- NOTE YOU SHOULD BE DOING THIS FROM THE NETWORK PC YOU WANT TO PLAY MOVIES OFF OF
- On the Stream page, hit the BROWSE button that is on the same line with the FILE button and select the file you want to play from that pc
- Click the FILE Button and when an m3u file is downloaded to your pc make sure you open it with VLC
- on my pc it takes about 20 seconds for the streaming to show up on the Dreambox and so TV, it might take longer or less depending on your PC I believe. Anyhow hope this helps.

tonyboyth

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Siamese
My Location
Thailand
VLC plug-in is also your anather option, take a look at _http://www.dreambox.it/faq_ENG_divx_on_your_dreambox_with_vlc_client.htm

You can browse your contents by using db's remote control. But I do have a minor issue on "Picture Quality" I don't how to increase the streaming bit rates. Sometimes, it shows alot of mosaic.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
its been a few years, but i made playing DivX a mission and found it couldnt be done

the dreambox will play mpg straight from my pc or off the DB hard drive ok, but playing a divx on my pc then streaming it to my DB i found it was laggy jerky and out of sync :(

i tried all this on the Xbox 360 too, same problem :( it sets of OK, but a minute in starts struggling, strangely its best with no buffering at all?

however the old xbox, with EvoX dashboard and XBMC installed plays DivX and Xvid etc, even better than the PC!!

who said technology is moving forward!?

if someone could work it out let me know, ive got every episode of CSI here on Divx waiting to be watched LOL

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
RedDevil_UK said:
its been a few years, but i made playing DivX a mission and found it couldnt be done

the dreambox will play mpg straight from my pc or off the DB hard drive ok, but playing a divx on my pc then streaming it to my DB i found it was laggy jerky and out of sync :(

i tried all this on the Xbox 360 too, same problem :( it sets of OK, but a minute in starts struggling, strangely its best with no buffering at all?

however the old xbox, with EvoX dashboard and XBMC installed plays DivX and Xvid etc, even better than the PC!!

who said technology is moving forward!?

if someone could work it out let me know, ive got every episode of CSI here on Divx waiting to be watched LOL

Personally, I don't like DivX because I prefer a format with chaptering capability like with DVD, for easy access to the various points in the media.
You can convert the DivX files to MPEG-2 using Nero Vission, and Export the file as MPEG-2.
I have just done a test project and it works great.
The file is larger naturely and there is the conversion time to take into consideration.
Is there any particular reason not to play the DivX on a standalone DVD players, with DivX support?

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Is there any particular reason not to play the DivX on a standalone DVD players, with DivX support?

its a fair point... my dvd player gave up the ghost about 6 weeks ago, and ive been playing my DVDs on the 360

seeing as the price of DVD players with Divx are alot cheaper now, is a good option.

although having said that, i fancy a Media Centre system, that would cover the lot

like this here only £44, you need to install a hard drive though

BlueJ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s
Apple MAC G4 OSX
80cm MOTORISED DISH
My Location
UK
Hi Mate,

If you are using a Gemini image have you tried the VLC frontend plugin from the gemini server?

I use it, it's great. Once you have set it up you can browse folders on your PC and select your desired movie all through the dreambox remote.

Works absolutely perfectly for me!

tonyboyth

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Siamese
My Location
Thailand
tonyboyth said:
VLC plug-in is also your anather option, take a look at _http://www.dreambox.it/faq_ENG_divx_on_your_dreambox_with_vlc_client.htm

You can browse your contents by using db's remote control. But I do have a minor issue on "Picture Quality" I don't how to increase the streaming bit rates. Sometimes, it shows alot of mosaic.

My DB500 is currently running on Gemini 3.6, by adding VLC plug-in from above link, it is now works fine for me, no out of synce problem.

FYI: By defualt, the steaming bit rate will be 1Mb then for some higher quality such as HDTV all of them will be more than 1Mb. Then, change the bit rate in the plug-in configuration file is required.

bijulica

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,4 al dish
My Location
Romania
Hello!
Please send me the knowhow for workink with vlc and vlc frontered on dream500 ! I want to play my videos from pc to dreambox.