PC to Topfield

TyraT

Reaction score
Hi, I have topfield TF3000CIPpro but just the machine. I wanted to upgrade it with my PC but I don't know how.

I have already bought a RS 232C wire but it doesn't seemed to work...

Please help :((

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
TyraT said:
Hi, I have topfield TF3000CIPpro but just the machine. I wanted to upgrade it with my PC but I don't know how.

I have already bought a RS 232C wire but it doesn't seemed to work...

Please help :((

Instructions for upgrading can be found in this PDF document. You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to read the document. You will also need this windows program. (TFD-Down.exe as mentioned in the download manual).

You will also need the latest firmware which was released on July 30th 2004.

These is also a STB Manager program availably.

Besides this you should be able to upgrade OTA (over the air), info here.

TyraT

Reaction score
But the problem is that I got all these software and followed those instructions with the wire connected but still it doesn't work. Did I get the wire wrong? Can someone send me a picture of it?

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
TyraT said:
But the problem is that I got all these software and followed those instructions with the wire connected but still it doesn't work. Did I get the wire wrong? Can someone send me a picture of it?

Is your cable a standard PC to modem serial cable or a "null modem" cable? If its a standard serial cable then this is your problem as you must use a "null modem" cable.

null-modem Pinouts DB-9 to DB-9

1 and 6 to 4
2 to 3
3 to 2
4 to 1 and 6
5 to 5
7 to 8
8 to 7

If the cable you are using is a null modem cable then check your com port to see if its working correctly.

TyraT

Reaction score
uh... It has 9 pins holes on both of the sockets. Other than that, I'm not sure what cable it is.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
I think you probably have a normal serial cable. You will have to get hold of a null modem. A null modem is just a serial cable with a couple of the wires crossed.

It is also possible to update the tuner over the air on the Asta1 or Hotbird satellites.

TyraT

Reaction score
I wish I can do over the air but I'm not in the astra or hot bird regions, but anyway you have been a great help. Thanks.

Just one more question, how can you tell between a normal serial cable from a null modem one?

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
TyraT said:
I wish I can do over the air but I'm not in the astra or hot bird regions, but anyway you have been a great help. Thanks.

Just one more question, how can you tell between a normal serial cable from a null modem one?

You can't tell by just looking at it, unless the cable is marked as a null cable along its length as some are. You could test your cable by connecting your PC to a serial modem with it. If the cable works and your PC can communicate with the modem, log onto the net etc, then your cable is not a null modem.
If the plugs are not solid state you could open them and check to see which pin each coloured cable is connected to on each end as in the pin connections in my previous post.