PCMCIA Connection to Network

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
My daughter is about to take her creaky old laptop to university. There's a network socket in her bedroom. What sort of PCMCIA card will she need to connect into it?

:-cheers

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just a bog standard Eternet RJ45 type adaptor Wolsty, got some good value ones on Redstore plus probably some of the links in the sticky.

Make sure you get one with an integral RJ45 socket and not a dongle, they are prone to breaking. :)

CNet 10/100Mbps RJ45 32bit PCMCIA Network Card
The CNF401 is the latest in "Dongle Free" Fast Ethernet Adapters. This model can be used with a wide range of laptops, notebooks, hand-held computers and desktop PCs. A media coupler provides both a TP port and diagnostic LEDs. Device drivers are included for all leading NOS systems. Two (2) powerful programs (cnftest.exe and cnfopen.exe) are included for easy set-up and operation.

This model is only £9.95 :D REF: CNE/NET/008

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Thanks Rolf. Ansum, as they say in Kernow. I'll order it now.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
PCMCIA card arrived this morning, inserted it before midday, up and running faultlessly in daughter's hall of residence this afternoon. Two happy bunnies.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, now she can start downloading all her free music. ;)

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
Unfortunately, university authorities take a dim view of MP3 sites etc and they're normally barred. My son fell foul of his university's system administrator last academic year and got a telling-off. Mostly, they both use my broadband connection for downloading such stuff. I must admit, however, that I'm very impressed by Kazaa - especially with the availability of all the ageing hippy stuff from Ry Cooder, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton et al.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
You could always download stuff at home and then send it to her, the university would never know.

Not sure if anyone at university age these days is into Ry Cooder though

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
Making a rod for my own back by doing that. She'd supply me with a list and I'd spend all my time organising it for her.

I suspect most students have never heard of Ry Cooder, but anyone who's seen Paris, Texas will have heard his music.

My kids aren't too bad. They like a lot of the modern stuff, but the Eagles, Beatles, Eric Clapton (in his various manifestations), Dire Straits, James Taylor and a variety of others of that era are in their collections.