Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, that's the one.

It wrote 27GB to the card then just stopped.

No verification, nuffink.

One way or the other, the card is a dud.

Bo**ox!

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
I have found h2testw is more thorough than the other although it does take a long time to run - 36 hours for a 2TB stick!!!.

There are two different types of duds here -firstly factory rejects that have failed test and fakes that have had their firmware hacked to report a higher capacity to operating systems. I have experienced a couple of rejects over the years but unttil recently not the fakes. A month or so ago I spotted some 2TB USB sticks on ebay at a low price (must stop visiting ebay after booze) so ordered two - knowing if they were fake that I wouldn't pay for them (my Paypal is set to pay after delivery). They arrived and whilst testing one on one laptop I copied around 50 GB of files to the other, they appeared to copy OK and using Windows explorer they showed a full directory structure but on looking further all folders except the last 8GB or so were empty. h2testw finished and reported the other as actually an 8GB with hacked firmware as 2TB.
Contacted the seller who said he had tested one on his phone and it appeared to be OK but he had used less than 8GB in his test - so he tried larger files and agreed with me and cancelled my order and told me to keep them. He is a UK based sller who normally sells USB devices and these were the first sticks he had offered (and been conned himself) and immediately withdrew the listing so didn't leave negative feedback.

So now have 2 8GB sticks that I either need to rehack the firmware OR partition them with an 8GB primary partition (the rest unallocated) and they should be usable as first 8GB tests as perfect.

Last edited: