Peer to Peer, could this be the end?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Taken from an article in The Register BT is threatening to kick users of P2P applications off its broadband service, citing copyright abuse.

Read the article, tell us what your views are.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I think the original Sat Doctor from Tele Satellite was the first I noticed warning of the impending responsibility to be shared among Internet users

One must be extremely careful of the power of the Internet, it is apparently there for all, and can be used in a variety of ways, but failing to understand who can watch, quote, use and abuse what it can give, is recorded and constantly under the investigation of many system administrators, and will stay imprinted in a file system somewhere for the future.

What is sent and received is logged and can be used for realy any purpose the administrator thinks fit. If its in the T+C then there is really no excuse - answer, store and printout any T+c of use as soon as you are up and running. If its not there then you have a legitimate case to ask why you were not prompted to any changes

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
)(-red
If your paying a subscription for an unlimited connection ie. Adsl or cable, then there should be no limits.
I'm sure that half or even more of the people who have this high speed connection are using P2P to download files of some sort.
But BT have a point. There are always people who take advantage of the word unlimated. Being connected 24/7 is ok but downloading 24/7 at 500K plus is talking the p*ss.
I'm sure that if Bt do stop people using P2P they will suddenly lose a lot of custom.
Also even if they did stop people using it it wouldn't be long before some clever clogs would have a crack or different P2P software.
Where I live I have no choice but to use Xantic internet by satellite so for the MO I'm not affected. Or is that inffected? :D

nobbly :+

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Been looking in to this since reading the article, it is of course talking about BT Broadband and not BT Openworld, the former is the no frills broadband service, ie: no web space or POP3 for a couple of pounds less per month, there are frills on BTOpenworld?

It has also been noted in some newsgroups, that the article bears an uncanny resemblance to another supposed threatening letter from the ISP, some months back, from a chap who only downloaded bootleg concert MP3s, of the Pogues I believe.

It would also appear that he is the only person in the UK to have received the letter (and spoken of it in the newsgroups), which would seem unlikely in itself.

I tend to read the register quite regularly, but am not always convinced as to the fidelity of all of their information.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
For BT to talk about throwing people off their service is very funny. Considering their roll-out programme is running slightly faster than snail pace and the fact that ADSL running over copper is limited by the distance customers reside in relation to the nearest exchange, I would have thought they needed all the help they can get. Not so long ago it was so pricey non-commercial customers couldn't afford it so in order to open the door to the public they had to offer it at a much lower cost.

I became interested in it but because I live 5.7km from the exchange I am out of range. You need to be within 5.5km. So I had to have a cable connection with Telewest but I'm quite happy with it. Previously I had BT Anytime except it wasn't 'Anytime' ...it became 16 hours in any 24 and, as always, the connection was dropped after 2 hours.

I'm cynical about this because I can't see why we can't compare with countries like Sweden where a 10mb connection costs £30 a month.

Jimbo :mad: