kim1406

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hi all,

I have a Pent@vision Pc-card (from
www.Pentamedia.com), I was using this card to get internet via sat., (starspeeder), but now I don't have any company to subscribe with. so, my card is now only a digital receiver but the software is having only very limited functions.This card is having a problem with DiSEqC switch (I have three satallites and I get only the first input of the
DiSEqC.)., so in the time being, am not using this pc-card.

I thought somebody may know some software that can make it work with the switch or that give it some new functions (the original software is only tuning from channel to another and that's it).
I need something else like:

-Digital video/audio recording/playback (PVA/MPEG2)
-AC3 support (Dolby Digital)
-R@dio MP3
-EPG (short event, extended event, dayview)
-Teletext
-Channelautoupdate
-Timerecorder
-Common Interface support (CI)
and any other functions.

Is there something like that? or should I buy another card like the Hauppauge WinTV DVBs card?
will this Hauppauge card give me any good feature better than my Pent@vision card? or it just has the same software functions?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Dec-01 AT 09:57 AM (GMT)]Hello Kim1406,

What version of the Pentamedia software are you using? I am using the 1.93 version and I admit that there are big shortcomings in it, particularly with regard to lack of EPG and DiseqC control which is not totally reliable. Also i feel that there is no Cam information which should be available with the Ci version

I have communicated these thoughts to Pentamedia and perhaps some of the issues may be addressed in future releases.

With specific regard to the DiseqC control, what settings are you using for the different LNBs? It doesn't work by using straight 1,2,3,4, you will need to experiment, I have mine working on a 2 way switch by assigning "5" to the second LNB and it works most of the time.

As far as I know there are no other software options for the card and find that most of the PC Sat cards are limited compared to their standalone equivalents. If you are looking to upgrade I would sell your existing card possibly using the auction site attached to this board and buy a dedicated stand alone receiver, you will be very pleasantly surprised with the difference in overall performance and capability.

Rolf

PS You can publicise your aution at this forum, as it is dedicated to Internet by satellite and there are always people looking for the Pentavision cards. http://pub75.ezboard.com/funofficalssfrm14

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Hi Guys :)

I would agree with rolf and just buy a dedicated sat box as your existing card isnt much good for sat tv only internet by satellite.
I opted for the full internet/tv version as i originally only wanted it for the internet satellite service with europe online and decided that if the internet side of things fell apart (which it did for me :(
then atleast i would have the tv side of the card functioning. I dont regret doing this as i have had good use of it though the extra expence of buying the cam and the card :) does up the price by about £80 to over a hundred extra. I have a motorised setup so do not use the diseqe/lmb switches but saying that i very rarely move the dish beyond hotbird 13 east and astra 19 east anyway and i do not thing it cost me much more to do it this way anyway.
The pentamedia card is a nice card as far as tv picture quality goes but the software drivers are bugged to high heaven and looking back i definately would have bought another card but there ARE worse ones out there as regards tv picture quality etc. The card is also supposed to be a capture card but i aint seen it capture **** all since i got mine.

P.s
Are the palco channels working ok?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Dec-01 AT 10:32 AM (GMT)]Hi s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Long time no speak, how's it going up there in the cold bit? :)

I'm just trying to buy a second hand Hyundai with irdeto freecam, I might keep the PC card, but will probably sell it as like you I now have broadband by one of the terrestrial options.

I would say though that it has been an interesting challenge over the past year to get it working with everything and largely successfully.

I still feel that they have a long way to go with the software for them to take a significant market share. Things like capture should be available with the card, but another module is needed, I think it's called the Gravis, more expense. As you say, the picture quality is good, I have mine running via the scart on my normal TV as well as on the 21 inch monitor as a 1/4 screen, which works very well for me.

Overall, for someone who doesn't already have a tv in the room where the PC is and wants some interesting satellite TV, then the cards are a relatively good value option, otherwise go for stand alone.

Rolf

PS still stuck on 19.2 at the moment so can't comment on Palco, but the Absat package still has the bad frame rate and no further info from David at Pentamedia in Camberley.

kim1406

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Hi all,

I purchased the Pent@vision card mainly for the internet, as I have a Nokia Mediamaster 9600 with DVB2000 and SCSI controller in the same room.
After Starspeeder, I got no internet provider, so I thought I may try using the card as a digital receiver, but, I got the DiSEqC problem.
Using 4 LNB’s, getting only ONE from the pc-card.
Am using 1.6 software version, but, 2 days ago, I downloaded the 2.93 version and not yet tried it as the card is infront of my face on the pc table…

By the way, is there any internet provided on the HotBird, like Starspeeder to try?!
I couldn’t get Astra here in my place..

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure about Hotbird, but Satnode is on 19.2 and there is Xantic on Sirius 5degrees East, also in the form of IP Via Sat.

Rolf

kim1406

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
so, no one here is using internet via sat?
any one in Hotbird.. as I see so many Data channels there.
Like the Internet Data channel..

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Someone may be able to prove me wrong, but I don't think that there is a domestic Satellite Internet service operating from Hotbird, at least at present.

As I mentioned earlier, there are a couple on 5E and one on 19.2, I would guess that some of these others like EBS are for Service providers and big business only. Have a look on this forum for information on what is available and how functional it is http://pub75.ezboard.com/funofficalssfrm1

Rolf

aseman

Reaction score
My Location
London
Hi guys, Palco works fine On PentaCI - with Irdeto 4.6SE

Is XXL blocky on 13E as well?

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
>Hi guys, Palco works fine On PentaCI - with Irdeto 4.6SE
>
>Is XXL blocky on 13E as well?

Yes aseman i found xxl to be blocky on hotbird other day i was browsing through the channels. I seem to have the same problem with certain transponders for ages until they change the channels on it then sometimes it clears. So far most channels it effects im not to bothered about watching anyway but you never know what transponder will be next.

Hi rolf :)
got your message. Glad to see to came to your senses and got broadband :)
i have to say in all fairness though that i only tried europe onlines internet by satellite service. i have not tried any of the others but just because i was an unhappy customer does not mean that there are no good internet by sat services out there, im sure there are.

ps
:) m*e*r*r*y c*h*r*i*s*t*m*a*s :)