Pentamedia setup

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Here is a helpful guide to setting up the pentavision range of cards for the PC.
This is a reply to Rolf via email

"hi rolf.
In order to use europeonline you have to configure your card settings in windows.
They have changed their transponder settings so im not too sure as i was before about which particular channel to set it too as regards the pentamedia software. When you enter the transponder settings into the pentamedia software you will see the europeonline channels such as service 1 to 15 etc, multicast,customers etc thats what they say not sure which one is right one since they changed it but try the service 1 first. experiment.

first things first.
go to start/control panel in windows (im assuming win 95 here but should be similar in win 98)
in control panel you should see "network" click it.
scroll down and find "tcp/ip>pent@vision satellite nic"
highlight it then go to properties.
set ip address to 125.0.0.1
set submask to 255.255.255.0 (this is for win95 but i was told by guy at eurpoeonline to use 192.168.2.239 if using win 98, i suggest you try both if no success and then phone them if still no luck. in win 98 its found at control panel/network/tcp/ip.
you may have to restart computer, not sure.
to check cards has right settings go in desktop to start/run
this brings up a box, type "winipcfg" (without quotes) and set ppp adaptor to "pent@media satellite nic" you should now see the changed mask address accordingly, this verifys the changes have occured.

thats the card configured. If system is slow when you tune into the europeonline transponders using the pentamedia software then the problem is usually the mask address needs to be changed. At this point i suggest you phone them for an alternative mask address that you can try.

now you need the europeonline transponder information which can be found on their site. After you add the transponders to your database also add the following pid numbers to each of the europeonline transponders.
this is what i was told to do by the guy at europeonline.
You should see data such as 2mb,1mb, etc changing on the small minimized box on your desktop from the pentamedia software, this indicates that you are receiving the data stream from that transponders channel.

now you also need to configure your web browsers proxy address.
transponder (113)12633.25 (V) 22.000 is Proxy: 194.177.32.11
transponder (114)12640.00 (vertical) symbol rate 22.000 is proxy: 194.177.32.44
transponder (115)12662.75 (V) 22.000 is proxy: 194.177.32.171
make sure you set port to 8080 in internet explorer
select "advanced" from the proxy server section in explorer and
make sure "use the same proxy server for all protocols" is selected.
in explorer 4 its "view" then "internet options" then "connections"

boot up the pentamedia software and click on the phone icon which is modem connect then click on ip settings. This sets the ip address and basically this setup will use the proxy address owned by europeonline and instead of sending the data back through the modem it instructs it to send it back through europeonlines address thus sending back through the satellite instead of the modem :))
hence the broadband speed.

Good luck :)
s*t*a*r*m*a*n

info correct as of 3 dec 2000

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
S*T*A*R*M*A*N

Thanks for the above, I had most of it right, but it is also pretty crucial that all of the elements are fired up in the right order. i have been using the E-lert with great success (although the server seems to be down tonight), but what is most impressive is the File Fetch download facility, 30 megabyte files downloaded in 3 minutes and you don't even have to stay on line to do it. Just give the file fetch the URL of the program to be downloaded and it will go and get it for you, wait for the confirmation that the download is scheduled than log off and go and have a cup of tea while the thing downloads, anything up to 700meg.

Having grat fun with this.

Rolf

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
yes only problem i find though is finding sites without passwords etc which dont work as you have to have a direct link to the file. Never really managed to get ftp working,
though it is supposed to be possible. Any luck with ftp downloads yet?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I use Real Download under normal conditions, won't the link provided in that utility suffice if copied and pasted?

rolf

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
should work if its a direct link to file. I havent tried it so couldnt say for sure but cannot see any reason why not but anything stopping you getting directly to the file might be a problem. I dont know for sure about ftp. Am i right in saying that the password etc is in the link to the file on the ftp server??

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes i think so, because the real download software can resume the download at a later time without having to manually enter the password.

still having a problem with my E-lert though.
rolf