Phone Unlocking and Sim card programming

Mullinsky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
BEV, DISH, DTV
I am completely new to this stuff. I was just wondering if someone could explain to me the benefits of unlocking your phone. Does this allow you to make free calls or something. What about the SIM card progamming, what benefits does programing them have? Thanks.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Mullinsky said:
I am completely new to this stuff. I was just wondering if someone could explain to me the benefits of unlocking your phone. Does this allow you to make free calls or something. What about the SIM card progamming, what benefits does programing them have? Thanks.

Unlocking allows you to use other phone companies SIM cards in your phone, some phones are locked to one provider.

Mullinsky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
BEV, DISH, DTV
I get it, so the benefit is that you could get a really good phone form one company and then use a cheaper provider to make phone calls. What about hacking the phones to get free calling. I assume this would be much like internet hacking, which is not really possible because you need the service sent to you? What else can do done to them? Can North American cell phones be opened and used in the UK and vice versa, or do they run on different frequencies?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Why not pop over to our sister mobile phone forum here...

http://www.mobileexpert.co.uk/

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
Mullinsky said:
I get it, so the benefit is that you could get a really good phone form one company and then use a cheaper provider to make phone calls. What about hacking the phones to get free calling.

As far as GSM goes....

No that can't be done, the operator has a record of your IMSI (International Mobile Subscriber Identity) (see _http://www.pt.com/products/gsmintro.html for details) and IMEI (_http://www.gsm-security.net/faq/imei-international-mobile-equipment-identity-gsm.shtml) so can identify you, so can charge you appropraitely. IMEI is on your sim, so you can remove taht and try and make a phone call, you'll note you can only make emergency calls... In thoery you might clone a phone with someones IMSI/IMEI details however manufacturers go out of their way to stop you doing this and there are many security features on both the phone and network side to cross, that's not to say it can't be done. Read here _http://www.totse.com/en/phreak/cellular_phones/thehackersguid179191.html and here _http://www.isaac.cs.berkeley.edu/isaac/gsm-faq.html

Mullinsky said:
I assume this would be much like internet hacking, which is not really possible because you need the service sent to you? What else can do done to them?

you could put them in a pint of beer, that's always good for a laugh :)

Mullinsky said:
Can North American cell phones be opened and used in the UK and vice versa, or do they run on different frequencies?

yes and no.

US uses GSM 1900MHz and to a less extent GSM 850MHz.
UK uses GSM 1800MHz (Orange and T-mobile) and 900MHz (O2 and Vodaphone)

If you have a dual band phone in UK it will be 1800/900 for EU use.
If you have a dual band phone in US it will be 1900/850 for US use.

If you have a tri band phone in UK it will be 1900/1800/900 for EU/US use.
If you have a tri band phone in US it will be 1900/1800/850 for EU/US use. (or could be 1900/900/850).

I guess there are some quad band phones out there which run 1900/1800/900/850Mhz which would be as flexible as you could get - (concerning GSM only)...

So it depends on what phone you have to start with before you unlock-it as to whether it would work in EU/US.

-cts

MaroonGuru

Reaction score
closetosoton said:
As far as GSM goes....

I guess there are some quad band phones out there which run 1900/1800/900/850Mhz which would be as flexible as you could get - (concerning GSM only)...

So it depends on what phone you have to start with before you unlock-it as to whether it would work in EU/US.

-cts

I hold in my hand just such an animal. The HP iPaq 6315. It is a Quad band that can be selected to run on 850/1900 or 900/1800. It does not appear to have automatic selection between the two systems, but it is only 2 levels deep.

FYI, 850/1900 is for "North America" and 900/1800 for "Europe. Asia."

Sorry I can't include a screen capture as it is hard to take a pic of the phone with the phone.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
MaroonGuru said:
Sorry I can't include a screen capture as it is hard to take a pic of the phone with the phone.

What don't you have a mirror????:-bunny O-Ha :-doh!

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
mullinsky,
the fun thing is updating the software to your phone. say like take a moto v400 and make it a v551 but it wont have the bt because the v400 doesnt have the hardware.
yes you can use a phone on another service as long as that service supports the phone you want to tranfer after the openning the of the sim. lets say you have a moto v220 with t-mobile and a buddy of yours has a v551 with cingular. he got his phone cut off or bought a upgrade, what ever and sold you the phone for $10. you could open that phone and just put in your sim and now you have an upgraded phone for $10.
getting free calls use to be easier now i dont think its worth the time involved. i have a buddy thats running on a clone for 14 months now. thats a freak accedent. we cant figure out why its gone so long. usually 12 hrs is as long as it goes but most times 30 or so minutes.
if you have the cables, software and the mindset messing with cell phone is really nice but time consuming.