Photographer spots ultra-rare white squirrel with 'sinister black eyes'

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ah yes, unusual in Squirrels, Leucism is the name for it, I spotted a partially leucistic Goldfinch in my garden a few years back (picture one), thought it was another species ubtil I got a photo and checked out the rest of the plumage. Also have a Blackbird which has been visiting the garden for several years and a very pale sparrow (picture two).

Attachments

• PA141817.jpg
    PA141817.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Blondie_P8117415.jpg
    Blondie_P8117415.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 26

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I don't know whether Leucism is the same or different to Albinoism but the squirrel definitely isn't an albino as it doesn't have pink eyes. It's the difference between complete lack of pigment and simply white fur.

All said and done a pretty impressive catch. I'm no animal expert but I would expect this to be a white grey squirrel rather than a white red squirrel - if that makes sense!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It's different altogether, as it's a lack of pigmentation in fur, feathers or skin only, quite common in birds and not unique in Squirrels, search for leucistic squirrel. It will be a grey, only a couple of isolated areas in the south for reds, neither of them on the mainland.

With birds, it often manifests itself partially, here's my Blackbird.

Attachments

• P1024757 copy.jpg
    P1024757 copy.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I can recall seeing a few birds in my school days, sparrow blackbird pheasant from memory ?, you don't see them anymore round here, but I did see a starling a few months ago with a few white feathers.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I don't know whether Leucism is the same or different to Albinoism but the squirrel definitely isn't an albino as it doesn't have pink eyes. It's the difference between complete lack of pigment and simply white fur.

Bleach ?

A

archive10

It's different altogether, as it's a lack of pigmentation in fur, feathers or skin only, quite common in birds and not unique in Squirrels, search for leucistic squirrel. It will be a grey, only a couple of isolated areas in the south for reds, neither of them on the mainland.

With birds, it often manifests itself partially, here's my Blackbird.
That is a one beautiful picture! No specific criteria, I just, you know, like it very much.
(The bird's got attitude, is different, is embedde in nature, the lot!)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham

What a silly bunch of idiots, complaining that the grey squirrel (which is not indigenous to this country and is killing off the native red species, aswell as damaging homes and offices by chewing through walls, roofing, insulation and electrical wiring, etc.) is a bad thing, it's not meant to be here, so it has to go...

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its an evil squirrel - just waiting a chance to run up your leg and nibble your nuts ;)