Picture Quality With Art Card, Good when Small, But?

Liamstamb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird 13 east
My Location
England
The Picture quality is good when the screen is reduced whilst browsing the channels.You know the small screen in a box on the right showing you the channel before you press OK to make it full size.I can get the quality i want when it's that small size, but as soon as i press Ok and the picture goes full size the quality is pretty poor, with blocks and streaks on the screen, a bit like an internet stream but obviously not quite as bad.

You know when you are watching something you've downloaded off the internet and you have to keep the picture size small cause the quality is reduced at full size, well thats what i'm getting on the Art Sports channels and Art Movie channels :( :confused Can anyone help?, why and what causes this ? The signal strength and Quality are both very good on the bars and alot of the other French and Italian channels off Hotbird, the picture is great at full size but the Art ones and a few others arn't .I'm lost.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Before anyone will answer that you will have to give them a clue as to what you are using to achieve the results you are getting.:-bash

Liamstamb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird 13 east
My Location
England
toppervte33h said:
Before anyone will answer that you will have to give them a clue as to what you are using to achieve the results you are getting.:-bash

Ok sorry mate, I've an 80 cm dish, technomate 7755 2 via and 2ci, the dish is on a pole with a run of about 50 metres or so to the receiver. Art blue card self activating 6 months subscribtion. The satellite wire is PF 100. Universal low noise LNB. Any other information ?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
If this was on a PC I would say it was a resolution problem, but it is not obviously as you are not using a PC to view it. I have seen this problem on a couple of TP's on Hotbird and the picture becomes very blocky. My initial theory is that it is down to the way your receiver tries to recover from interrupted reception. This is quite often displayed as a blocky picture, but may be a problem with the uplink as well. I have never watched art personally but I do know that it is not noted for being a very professional set up as there have been numerous posts about the extremely poor sound quality. If you are not having trees swaying in the breeze and interrupting reception then I would say it is probably the channel, I have experienced this with Prima and just nipped down to see what it was like and the sound is terrible!!!
Perhaps someone who has art can help further

Liamstamb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird 13 east
My Location
England
Here is an example for you it's a little bit of a tottenahm v Fulham game on Art Sports.Look at the pitch it's like a computer game surreal green,blocking and streaking all over the picture as well http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2R9DT49AINMWJ0AYS13FMMEXQU It's quite annoying to watch consistently i really hope someone can shed some light on a way to fix the problem ? :(

Liamstamb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird 13 east
My Location
England
toppervte33h said:
If this was on a PC I would say it was a resolution problem, but it is not obviously as you are not using a PC to view it. I have seen this problem on a couple of TP's on Hotbird and the picture becomes very blocky. My initial theory is that it is down to the way your receiver tries to recover from interrupted reception.

If that is the problem and it's the way my receiver trys to recover from interrupted reception, is there a cure for this?and whats causing the interupted reception is it something to do with my eqipment and set up or the broadcasters ?

SeanCorky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI+
ISS 1M Offset Dish
Moteck SG2100A Motor
My Location
Merseyside
I find the transponder ART is on isnt as strong as others

I have an ART sub

With my 1m dish i get 63% quality

Good picture but it takes a second to change the channel

Liamstamb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird 13 east
My Location
England
SeanCorky said:

I have an ART sub

Whats an Art sub ? is your picture similar to the one in the download a bit streaky and blocky ?

Liamstamb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird 13 east
My Location
England
SeanCorky said:

I have an ART sub

Btw what is a transponder and what one is Art on ?

SeanCorky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI+
ISS 1M Offset Dish
Moteck SG2100A Motor
My Location
Merseyside
The picture on mine is fine

ART Sub = Art Subscription

Transponder is like a place in the satellite where certain channels are stored, someone else will be able to describe that better

The Art channels are on 12.015 H 27500

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
You must bear in mind that as mentioned by SeanCorky he gets 63% quality with a 1mtr dish, you only have an 80cm dish and a 50 mtr run from lnb to receiver, that is why it is blocky it is as I said your receiver is workin its nuts off trying to reconstruct a signal.... be grateful for what you have or buy a bigger dish!

Liamstamb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird 13 east
My Location
England
toppervte33h said:
You must bear in mind that as mentioned by SeanCorky he gets 63% quality with a 1mtr dish, you only have an 80cm dish and a 50 mtr run from lnb to receiver, that is why it is blocky it is as I said your receiver is workin its nuts off trying to reconstruct a signal.... be grateful for what you have or buy a bigger dish!

I get at least 63 % quality and in the 80s for signal strength as well, but it's still blocky at times. Do you think putting an amplifier on the line would improve the blockyness cause of the 50 m run ?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I just thought of something else, you mention you dish is on a pole, the diameter of the pole being ? and the length being ?
I mention this because too long and thin and the dish may be swaying in the breeze and losing lock. There is a thread from a couple of months ago where in line amplifier gave significantly better results but that was on a 100mtr run, Ill have alook see if I can find it
edit
You know what I think you should do a search for the word amplifier and read some of the threads it is very interesting, but yes 50 mtrs does seem to be the point where one would help, but also the required cable specs are different for a run above the normal see here

Liamstamb

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird 13 east
My Location
England
toppervte33h said:
I just thought of something else, you mention you dish is on a pole, the diameter of the pole being ? and the length being ?
I mention this because too long and thin and the dish may be swaying in the breeze and losing lock. There is a thread from a couple of months ago where in line amplifier gave significantly better results but that was on a 100mtr run, Ill have alook see if I can find it
edit
You know what I think you should do a search for the word amplifier and read some of the threads it is very interesting, but yes 50 mtrs does seem to be the point where one would help, but also the required cable specs are different for a run above the normal see here

Cheers for the info so far mate, how do you connect up one of these amplifiers? Baring in mind all my CT100(PF100) Cable, is already threaded through a good 30 metres of hose to protect it under the ground and everything is already connected up to the receiver. Also is improving signal strength the same as improving signal quality? and do these amplifiers improve the signal quality as well as the strength? My signal strength is already in the 80s it's the quality of the signal that i really need to improve by the looks of things ?

About the pole it's Scaffolding pole and roughly the same height 6 and 1/2 feet and width as the pole my Sky Dgital is on and that has no problems with the wind blowing it.Plus The signal quality of the Art Channels,that i'm receiving seems constant and obviously it's not windy 24/7.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
In the post I referred you to previously Rolf has mentioned that he has put it in line near the lnb with reasonable results however there does appear to be a theory that inserting it approximately halfway down the run would be the optimum. Whilst I have not researched this at all if I was to guess at this I suspect it may be done like that to maintain the original signal as far as possible in much the same way as a hub or switch on a cat 5 network would be placed before the 90 mtr max length is reached to reconstruct and retransmit the signal over a further 90 mtrs.