VU+Solo
VU+Duo
technomate 9100 linux
Quali-TV (4:2:2)
Eaglebox
UK nds card
My Location
Tyne and Wear
anyone think a p2, 600mhz will be sufficient for using SS2 and mytheatre?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Pushing it, tried on a 700Mhz PIII with 256Mb of Ram and really struggled, I would guess that a 1Ghz with half a Gig of Ram would be effective minimum.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Depressing isnt it, new PC required just to run a satellite card

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well i guess that you can always try just stacking up the RAM on the 600Mhz, it is quite cheap at the moment adn see what happens. :)

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
if i ever get a hold of xp then i might be able to tell you but it works ok as a sat card for viewing purposes on my pentium 3, 450mhz with 640 megs of ram.
Rolf i have an original xp back up but it aint got a serial number as guy didnt want to give me it, quite understandable :p

my mate found this site and he has purchased from it and received the goods so it appears genuine enough and it is sooooooo cheap its almost hard to believe, only thing is the software takes about 6 weeks to be delivered and its oem so only one installation on one machine type of thing, install on another hard drive and deactivate the first a bit like some some anti virus software that you need a multi licence for, only thing is you dont get no manual or fancy box and the software comes from eastern europe or somewhere but some example prices.

Windows Xp PRO - $50 thats about 30 pounds (you save $220)

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 enterprise edition $200 (you save $1800) yes thats a retail price of $2000
or what about this one that takes the biscuit
Windows server 2003 for $200 - retail price is $3999 (saving of $3799)

so this is really the cheapest i recon that is out there. I think maybe i should get 2 copies of windows xp pro :D

perhaps you may like to add this bit to buying guide rolf as i got carried away when i was typing.

site is:
http://www.cdsforyou.biz

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
XP is bonus if your box will run it O.K. and it looks like yours will (just about).
Lots of fast memory is the key. Especially when throwing an SS2 into it. Good ventilation and a reasonable PSU too.

MyTheater V2.76 is the way to go in my limited experience. Get the full version from http://www.sat.joy.ro/download.html as (as has been mentioned) it has everything you need, except SC.K to get going. Even a Diseqc 1.2 plugin, the CODECS and the required CAM EMU. Update the latter, tho to the V1.0.9.2 dll. Go here http://yankse.dvbnetwork.com/ for it.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
You are missing the point as regards the software from the site i gave a link for. This is genuine software NOT WAREZ. It comes with a genuine serial number and is not as far as i am aware pirate software. it is cheap because it comes as oem without packaging and manual and via eastern europe, my mate bought software from it and its the real deal as far as he is concerned on a silver sided disc etc and it can also take up to 6 weeks to arrive hence the low price also. his software took 6 weeks to be delivered.

I have came to the conclusion that if there is one thing you should use that is original then it should be an operating system and i definately wouldnt use pirates antivirus software for obvious reasons anyway you can buy xp home edition oem for about 60 pounds these days or 100 for the pro version if you cant be bothered waiting 6 weeks for the order.
Im not sure about the updates with xp though as the site does sell the microsoft update packs for xp as an addon for about 9 dollars so im thinking thinking this is because it is of eastern european origin and is not ment for the uk market etc so updates may not work correctly OR my friend is mistaken and this is pirate software. I think it is genuine but he got some other package not XP so im not sure what would happen if you tried to install it and then update via microsofts website. Caution may be advised but i leave it up to the individual to decide. All im am saying is my mate got a silver disc fully working software package from them in 6 weeks and that the serial number appeared to be recognised and genuine.

ps.
Thanks for the links :D

marcoh64

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Netherlands
I think you also miss a few points Starman.

Warez is also "genuine" software. It is only distributed through "alternative channels" and sometimes protection removed.

it is cheap because it comes as oem without packaging
EOM distributed software has always 1 restriction: it can only be sold and delivered together with a system (hardware) that is manufactored by the one who holds the EOM license. Hence if you buy "original official OEM" software, then this is just as illegal as an image downloaded from the internet. My guess is even that those CD's are sstolen somewhere, because a manufactor would loose his EOM license if he sold them seperate.

So ti doesn't matter if you download from a Warez site or buy from eastern europe, in both cases it is offically illegal and the owner of the software will probably not see one penny of the price you pay for it.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Silver discs just imply pressing rather than burning. You don't know if the serial number is genuine or not.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
anything that is tampered with such as removing protection in software without the owners consent is piracy. The software is original oem and not tampered with in anyway.
--------------------------------------------------
warez

A term used by software pirates use to describe a
cracked game or application that is made available to the
Internet, usually via FTP or telnet, often the pirate
will make use of a site with lax security.

Software piracy is illegal and should be reported to the
Federation Against Software Theft (FAST).

(1994-11-29)

Source: The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, © 1993-2003 Denis Howe

warez

/weirz/ n. Widely used in cracker subcultures to
denote cracked version of commercial software, that is versions from
which copy-protection has been stripped. Hackers recognize this
term but don't use it themselves. See warez d00dz.
---------------------------------

As regards the oem purchase of XP.
I could buy xp oem no problem without having to buy a mousemat and there are many online stores that will sell it to me for about 60 quid. So no it does not have to be bought with hardware, not always the case only restriction is in the licence i purchase by going the oem route namely only being able to install it on 1 harddrive and having it tie to the hardware configuration on my machine. I can place the order and go right up to finalising it and at no point am i requested to buy a hardware part which if needed could be rectified by adding a simple mouse mat or something cheap anyway. Its quite simple you either trust the site or you do not, i will leave it up to the individual to decide. Just thought i would mention it as my mate was a happy customer. CASE CLOSED.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, this thread has gone a tad off topic. :)

Best to return to the minimum hardware requirements for a DVB card.

ncjv

Reaction score
well.....whts the answer then/////...what pc is required

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
The cold and foggy Yorkshire coast..
Well I started with an Athlon 900 with 256 meg of ram, it worked fine.
I upgraded to an Athlon 2600 with 512meg of ram and now it really flies.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Well I reckon that if you're on socket A, and your motherboard supports 266FSB then you have no excuse not to buy the latest Duron 1800 (at less than 30 squid new!), and that will do the trick.

If you're stuck on 200FSB then the Duron 1300 should do the job, but you are probably near the 'Edge'. More than that, the older MB's won't be up to playing back full screen video, cos you won't be able to jam a good enough video card in it, you'll have a pants IDE bus and you'll have memory that runs as fast as Paverotti's fattest sibling.

PIII's starting at 1Ghz should do it, though comments above still apply.

P4's should all be fine.

Make sure you have more fans (in your case) than Manchester City, a 300W+ power supply, plenty of space between your PCI card and your video card, and a six pack of beer. You're gonna need them all.

Just my opinion!

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
p3 600mhz will work fine on free to air but not good enough for pay per view/encrypted channels.