pioneer ex "ON" digibox

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
I have just got at a car boot sale a Pioneer 210 ex "ON" digibox. It came without a remote control and I am hoping that a "oneforall" will suffice. Can anyone confirm this. Also, as I have never used "ON", if anyone has a copy of the instructions and could scan them and copy me I would be very grateful.
TIA

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There really isn't much in the instruction book, any questions you have, just ask.

As for the remote, I'm not sure, but there are a few stores around selling them for a few pounds.

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
Simplest question of all rolf. I plug it in. I switch it on. what do I do next? I keep reading about software updates but I don't know what to do

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Won't do it now, but I'll plug the box in tomorrow and see what menu commands are available using the front panel, you could try menu button, navigate to starting up and then go to store channels, that should give you something to work with. :)

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
thanks rolf I'll not be able to try tomorrow as where I am now doesn't support terestial digital

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
When I switch on and then press select I get P 10 on the box display and BBc 4 on the tv. the box appears to be locked as nothing changes no matter what button I press. If, however, I take the aerial out and then go through the same procedure I get menus for changing channels and if I press menu I get ON digital menus. In No.7 of these I get the possibility of an update.If I take this and replug my aerial, on the display I get 'auto update' for a while then I get 'update error' showing. With the aerial out I can set it on any channel I wish and the when i replug my aerial I get that channel but I am locked into it and cannot get any response from any button.

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
in the menu you need option 5 (?) getting started then `add channels` but obviously if you do this with the ariel out you won`t find many channels.
there are ways to do factory resets on your box. i can find the info if you need (bit rusty with all that since the demise of itv digi)

presumably you`ve turned off the power at the plug for about 20 seconds as this will usually sort out the problem you describe.

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
Thanks dave, I have done what you suggested and I now get a list of all progs available. If I choose any BBC prog I get locked in it, but, if I choose ITV2 or QXL I can get up the menu to change channels and go wherever I want, until I go to a BBC prog.or any of the basic 5, and then the only way out is to power off. I would be interested in a 'factory reset' if it doesn't put you to too much trouble. TIA

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
re the remote. will any ON remote operadt this box as per sky remotes

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I believe so, but not 100% sure.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Unfortunately its a case of manufacturer specific

All remotes are different as there has nexer been a central policy for DTT, unlike Sky where all the main features were decided in the initial rollout, one reason why Sony has suffered so much wrt the digial audio out

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
Thanks to everyone for their help. Sorry for taking so long in coming back but illness prevented. I now have a remote and everything works perfectly. But there is a little anomoly that the group may find interesting. I have found this on 2 different pioneer boxes. As I previosly stated on any BBC channel pressing select on the box had no effect. But pressing select on the remote causes the channel list and change menu to come up. I have no idea why.

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
Originally posted by devonbrown
Thanks to everyone for their help. Sorry for taking so long in coming back but illness prevented. I now have a remote and everything works perfectly. But there is a little anomoly that the group may find interesting. I have found this on 2 different pioneer boxes. As I previosly stated on any BBC channel pressing select on the box had no effect. But pressing select on the remote causes the channel list and change menu to come up. I have no idea why.

I believe there's a bug in the set top box software. If a channel has a MHEG application (which means text or interactive content) then some or all of the front panel buttons are disabled on some boxes)

All the BBC channels use MHEG but currently ITV does not.

There's probably nothing you can do about it, just put up with it as it's unlikely they will ever now update the software in your box.