Pioneer turntable & Four Score on Vinyl...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Just thought I'd add in a suggestion for those who have static issues on their turntables after wiping records down to remove dust, use these fluffy duster things, they seem to do an excellent job at removing dust and getting rid of a lot of the static:

http://www.wilko.com/sweeping-brush...VBMST=&VBMTC=3e85337f265acac00d0b4dffe51c9cbb

I only got the refill pack, but I'd suggest getting the kit with the handle initially, cos otherwise it's a PITA to fluff them up (and yes, I know the innuendo with saying that!!) to get them all "charged and ready"... :D

Doesn't get rid of sneeze marks though, I need to wash my Four Score and Foreigner promo records, the latter looks like someone was stuffing a cheeseburger in their face while watching the record spin and then sneezing over it...:eek:

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
My retro Pioneer PLA35 Turntable, still playing well since buying from a work colleague in the 70's. Shure M75ED cartridge, about to be updated to maybe an AT95E or similar.
Cambridge Audio Azur 540A Amp / 540P Preamp
Pair of KEF Speakers (based on the BBC Studio Monitor LS3/5A)
Loads of vinyl, mostly jazz, pride of place being my Blue Note records, all heavyweight originals - not the skinny reissues. Bought as US Imports from the local record store when I was but a lad in the 50's and 60's for IIRC not much more than a couple of quid each, my Blue Notes can fetch anything between £100 to £500 each on auction sites if in good condition - which mine are. Not for sale while I'm compos mentis.

Attachments

• Pioneer PL-A35 etc.jpg
    Pioneer PL-A35 etc.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 41

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Doesn't get rid of sneeze marks though, I need to wash my Four Score and Foreigner promo records, the latter looks like someone was stuffing a cheeseburger in their face while watching the record spin and then sneezing over it...:eek:

Could always try the woodglue method

I suppose silicon sealant might also be suitable.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
My retro Pioneer PLA35 Turntable, still playing well since buying from a work colleague in the 70's. Shure M75ED cartridge, about to be updated to maybe an AT95E or similar.
Cambridge Audio Azur 540A Amp / 540P Preamp
Pair of KEF Speakers (based on the BBC Studio Monitor LS3/5A)
Loads of vinyl, mostly jazz, pride of place being my Blue Note records, all heavyweight originals - not the skinny reissues. Bought as US Imports from the local record store when I was but a lad in the 50's and 60's for IIRC not much more than a couple of quid each, my Blue Notes can fetch anything between £100 to £500 each on auction sites if in good condition - which mine are. Not for sale while I'm compos mentis.

That's some quality equipment there, Llew... Denon deck, Cambridge Audio.. And love the gramophone on a wooden base!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Could always try the woodglue method

Nah, washing poses less of a risk of ruining a record from filling in the tracks, just have to make sure to use tepid water so as not to warp the disc... :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gave the two records I presently have a wash, they sound better already, though the Foreigner promo has a spot of what looks like glue permanently stuck to it, so, I'll have to work that one out later, it is only here cos it's a rare album that I had to have... :)

Missed your post yesterday for some reason, but, it just goes to show how long things have lasted that were made decades ago versus the cheap junk sold today, heck I couldn't keep an MP3 player working for as long as our turntables have been in existence!! :-rofl2

And if you're going for a new cartridge, a Shure M95 or Audio Technica AT95e are worth it, my friend across the pond has the former and it's good for hot-pressed records (as in ones made for DJ use, so have to be made to last longer), though regular records sound a little muffled, which the Shure M92 takes presidence, but from my experience, an AT95e is pretty good, anything more and you're in audiophool territory... :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
Thanks, I'll keep those in mind when I upgrade the cartridge. All this satellite stuff over over the years means I've not kept up lately with ye olde spinning discs and needles.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
That's some quality equipment there, Llew... Denon deck, Cambridge Audio.. And love the gramophone on a wooden base!
Yes CJ, the heavy base does help, nice anti-acoustic suspension. Just needs a going over with some walnut oil.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I just managed to get myself a CA 540P preamp, all I need now is for it to arrive (and maybe a phono to 3.5mm cable, cos I seem to have either misplaced my two or cut them up for something else), no need for that cheapo Kemo M055 amp that thinks it's a radio... :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Got my preamp earlier, and boy does it make a difference, aside from not having a load of annoying interference coming from the incorrect amplifier (that and I'm sure it has internal issues too), only issue is that it's a tad hard on my desktop's Line-In port, pretty much maxing it out, so, need to figure something out for that (most likely buying a proper soundcard, rather than the cheap realtek chip onboard!!), but otherwise, I'm happy, vinyl may be a touch more inconvenient than an MP3 or streamed music from Spotify, but it sounds much better as the brain is clever enough to filter out the noise of vinyl and appreciate the recordings... :D

And mini James T. Kirk had a quick visit too... :-rofl2

Attachments

• Pioneer with amp.jpg
    Pioneer with amp.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 31

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
vinyl may be a touch more inconvenient than an MP3 or streamed music from Spotify, but it sounds much better as the brain is clever enough to filter out the noise of vinyl and appreciate the recordings... :D

And mini James T. Kirk had a quick visit too... :-rofl2

The thing with MP3 is when music is converted/encoded it chops of a big chunk of the high and low frequencies so it'll never sound like the original LP/45.

Does anyone still have a proper record shop near them? Not HMV or other commercial shop, a proper independent record shop that has a record player in the corner to listen to the LPs and rack after rack of obscure music?
We've got one in Stockton and apparently it is the only independent record shop left on Teesside, http://www.sounditoutrecords.co.uk/vinyl-c139

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
We have one in the road joining ours, Langley Records of East Molesey. Even has 8 track stuff in there.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I don't suppose anyone has a semi-decent but not expensive pre-amp? I have a crappy one from eBay, which sits between the gramophone and the amp but it creates some odd mains hum... even with the gramophone not connected. There's no pre-amp on the main amp, sadly.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
A bit high tech for me:D, this is my gramophone:).
DSCN5508.JPG DSCN5513.JPG DSCN5521.JPG

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Ah yes, a steel needle by the looks of it. None of your namby-pamby cane ones there.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Does anyone still have a proper record shop near them? Not HMV or other commercial shop, a proper independent record shop that has a record player in the corner to listen to the LPs and rack after rack of obscure music?

I think there's a few in Newcastle, but I've not been to look yet, just been enjoying using the Discogs site buying the three records I have now... :)

I have a crappy one from eBay, which sits between the gramophone and the amp but it creates some odd mains hum... even with the gramophone not connected. There's no pre-amp on the main amp, sadly.

See if you can find a Pro-ject phono preamp, or a Cambridge Audio, the cheaper preamps will tend to be, well, cheaper, in quality and price, and apparently the better preamps use an AC-AC wallwart, so the amp has all the AC to DC inside the case reducing the noise problem, though I did seem to pick up mains hum on my CA540P but moving wires about away from mains cabling dealt with that...

In the interim you could try connecting your preamp directly to ground (nearest radiator pipe, screw on a mains socket, chassis of a computer, etc.), loosen a screw on it's case (assuming it's metal of course), wrap a bit of wire round it, and connect the other end to an earthing point of some description... :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I devised a solution to the loud output from the Cambridge Audio preamp, all it needed was a passive volume control between it's output and the Line-In of the PC's onboard sound, that way I can reduce the volume so that the Line-In isn't overloaded and can record at a decent non-overdriven level... :)

What I used was a 10k Logarithmic Stereo potentiometer, basically a stereo volume control, doesn't need any other electronics (as far as I'm aware) but does help to fit it and associated wiring (for me, 4x RCA sockets, L&R In, L&R Out) inside a metal box to shield the wiring from any noise, which I've yet to do, only assembled it all as a proof-of-concept idea in the open, but it works, so now I need a metal case... :)

And no I'm not going to use an Altoids tin... :-rofl2