Pioneer turntable & Four Score on Vinyl...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Well I finally got around to looking at the stylus that had fallen out of the cartridge and discovered that the metal shaft has actually broken off! How on earth that happened I have no idea. I found the correct type and ordered it - a quite reasonable £7.45 I thought.

It arrived during the week and I fitted it this afternoon. Popped an Beatles LP on and listened. It was terrible quality!Lots on crackles and hiss. And it was rather muffled I thought. Anyway, no time to investigate although I suspect that the LP might be at fault. It did look rather dirty!

Job for another day methinks.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Or just try another record (a 45 ?) that you don't mind getting some damage, the stylus may be mis-aligned in the cartridge.

Or you could just go here, download the "Custom arc template generator", print one out and align your cartridges the proper way... :D

http://www.conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm

Speaking of which, I need to set up the PL-400, got it yesterday and I've not done anything with it yet... :-doh

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, I've been playing with the PL-400 with my AT95 on the tonearm, and it's working nicely post-servicing, the only bit that doesn't seem to work is the repeat function, which to be honest I'm not bothered about as I like listening to records through to the end and then move onto another, so no loss there... :)

It was a PITA to take apart though, so many things to disconnect before I could even lift the deck off the base, the PL-300 didn't have that problem, but, I guess it's part & parcel of it being an automatic table, still, it works, and that's what matters to me, Function over Form... :D

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Indeed... I dug out an ancient JVC amp from my parents' garage, which has been a home for many spiders over the years. Hoovered and cleaned a cm layer of dust and... It still works! Only using it as a preamp and it's perfect for the job.

Also got some Gale monitor speakers...but decided to tale these downstairs for the main system as my centre and rear speakers were also Gale but not fronts. So I am now using TDL speakers, which sound alright.

esy9uqa4.jpg

y5enavum.jpg

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I'll also be shortly pulling some of the 'appreciating classic equipment' from my shed, which includes a lovely linear deck music system from Akai. (M313 ?) Not a million miles from this beauty (though I went for the Philips CD option, quality you know) .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Akai-AV-M313L-Hi-Fi-Stereo-System-with-Manuals-amp-Remote-Control-/331040270658?nma=true&si=q99VKrg%2FWgBrP%2F5LC0fXeJt8fJ0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Don't get me wrong, the number of times this saved LPs from being butchered at parties means it's paid itself many times over. Plus I have a new/unused cartridge for it.

A (sad) link to something very similar

Attachments

• Akai linear deck.JPG
    Akai linear deck.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I've heard those linear tracking turntables aren't very good at, well, tracking, some using stepper motors to move the stylus along, other using fluid bearings that moved like a tonearm and whatnot, but never seeming to be happy with "non-standard" records, and never sounding right as it progressed through the record... :confused

I will say they look neat though, but, the purists class them as junk, not that I care what they think, seeing as they think that "regular" copper has oxygen inside it...:-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Finally put my attenuator circuit (nore tally much of a circuit though, 2x RCA sockets to a 10k stereo Log Pot to another 2x RCA sockets) into a suitable case, made up of a metal clad back box & blanking plate as they were cheaper than buying a metal project box... :D

Attachments

• attenuator.jpg
    attenuator.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 27

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
You must listen to Foreigner...