Planning a trip to Scotland later this month...

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Me and my friend are planning a trip to scotland at the end of this month.
Flights are cheap from Gothenburg to Glasgow (Ryanair) so we said we must take the chance to see a bit of Scotland.

How's the weather like at the end of September/beginning of October?

Some must see suggestions in the area anyone?!?

We are going to stay about 4-5 days by the way.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Weather can be glorious or absolutely miserable with not much in between! A trip up northwards from Glasgow to Loch Lomondside is worthwhile, Rannoch Moor isnt too far if you have a car or the railway runs across it - a wild and lonely place. If you like heavy engineering, then the Falkirk Wheel is the worlds only rotary boat lift. Edinburgh with the castle and all the city history is easy enough to get to on the train.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Thank's analogue!

We spoke about renting a car,didn't even think of the train option!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Wouldnt recommend a car anywhere near Edinburgh city centre! Lots of 1 way systems and horribly expensive parking (and permit only zones....)

If you are into walking, Ben Lomond on Lomondside is a Munro, (3000 footer) and a reasonably easy walk for decent walkers.

If you do get a car, get down into the Borders. Its lovely and peaceful around here, and the small towns are full of friendly people

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
At Prestwick airport you cross the road (bridge) and you're in the station.

Ryanair have a deal for cheap train and bus fares, check with them if you want that option - Glasgow is about 40 - 45 minutes away (about the same by car).

Glasgow's city centre has changed over the years and is now one of the top shopping areas in Britain.

Edinburgh is well worth a visit and the Falkirk Wheel is something to see. If you stay in Glasgow you have a great selection of pubs and clubs and the people are generally friendly!

I will try and find some interesting links for you...

Here's one to be going along

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Shame you'll miss the festival at Edinburgh. Was there a couple of weekends ago, but parking was murder! Overpriced NCP car parks, but didn't ruin my trip! The castle, arthur's seat, and the pubs in the city are all still worth a visit.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ah the Edinburgh pubs. Stefan let me know if you need some recommendations for excellent beer!.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Didn't know about the train and Ryanair and the link you provided isn't bad for a start!

gameboy said:
At Prestwick airport you cross the road (bridge) and you're in the station.

Ryanair have a deal for cheap train and bus fares, check with them if you want that option - Glasgow is about 40 - 45 minutes away (about the same by car).

Glasgow's city centre has changed over the years and is now one of the top shopping areas in Britain.

Edinburgh is well worth a visit and the Falkirk Wheel is something to see. If you stay in Glasgow you have a great selection of pubs and clubs and the people are generally friendly!

I will try and find some interesting links for you...

Here's one to be going along

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Would of course be nice to taste some of this excellent beer,we have already decided to go to Edinburgh by train!

Analoguesat said:
Ah the Edinburgh pubs. Stefan let me know if you need some recommendations for excellent beer!.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Ryanair site with links to cheap train/bus travel ...

Half price rail here ...

More travel info here ...

Good guide to Glasgow here ...

Have fun...

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
While in edinburh, just behind princes street for a good selction, can always head down the grassmarket, cowgate, lothian road, for a more 'classy' night out!

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Thanks to all of you for the good links and suggestions so far!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
From Princes St Station go up the main car in-ramp, turn right, and go up to the main street. Go diagonally right and wander up the lane behind the fastfood takeaway (it was a wimpy last time I was there). Round the back is the Guildford Arms. Up to 8 hand pumps of cracking beer.

If the budget stretches to a beer guide go into the local WHSmiths and see if you can find a copy of the "Good Beer Guide". 1000's of pubs across the uk serving decent beer published by CAMRA

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Just came back from Scotland and the trip was great!

Drove from Prestwick straight into the center of Edinbourgh(!) and found a good guesthouse to stay at,Stayed there for 2 days and saw the castle,old town and some GREAT museums and NO,we didn't forget the beer!

Then we drove to the Falkirk wheel and from there into the highlands.Went to Oban and then we took the ferry to Isle of Skye and spent a lot of time there,also visited the Talisker destillery.We drove the bridge back to the mainland and saw some wonderful landscape.

All of the Lochs were also very beautiful and if we should do and experience all that we have wanted to in Scotland we would have to go there for 6 days a year the following ten years!

The only thing that wasn't good for us is that the Pound is so strong compared to other currencies the prices is sick for us,very expensive in other words.Could be a good idea for U.K. citicens to have a vacation in Sweden,would be rather cheap for those who are interested.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Glad to hear you had a good trip Steffan. Next time you are in Scotland make sure you get down to the Borders - its nice and peaceful down here. :)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
steffan_st said:
Could be a good idea for U.K. citicens to have a vacation in Sweden,would be rather cheap for those who are interested.

As Ryanair are so cheap good chance I will visit Sweden - hopefully some time in the near future.

Glad you liked Scotland - hopefully you met some friendly natives!

An open invitation to all the visitors here to visit this land - who knows you might enjoy it.

Always thought Sweden was expensive - well you learn something every day!

Come back soon... :-Welcome1

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
gameboy said:
As Ryanair are so cheap good chance I will visit Sweden - hopefully some time in the near future.

Glad you liked Scotland - hopefully you met some friendly natives!

An open invitation to all the visitors here to visit this land - who knows you might enjoy it.

Always thought Sweden was expensive - well you learn something every day!

Come back soon... :-Welcome1

Sweden used to be very expensive for you and it still has that reputation.Spoke to some Scotsmen at the pubs and they said they would like to go but they thought they couldn't afford it.

The only thing you will find expensive in Sweden is the booze...

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
steffan_st said:
The only thing you will find expensive in Sweden is the booze...

Sorry... that rules Sweden out at the first hurdle then! :-laugh