playing mpg through DB

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
is it possible to download a mpg file and drop it on the DB HD and then play it with the DB?

the reason i ask is, i have a few to watch and they are 900mb each.... so they dont fit on a cd, and id like to avoid converting them to burn them on dvd, just to watch them once.

anyone tried?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes, I did it the other day, and it was perfect!

Movies recorded off my Skystar 2 PC card transfered into a new directory I created on the hard disk.

Sweet-as.

I'd avoid the existing movie directory, as the Dreambox tries (badly) to maintain some fancy indexing.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
what file format does you skystar record in though?

i was wondering if there was a media player for the DB that plays mpg and avi files.

another challenge is to play them on the DB/TV downstairs from over the network with the PC upstairs...... straight off the PC hard drive :)

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
tried draggin the file over.... had to stop it, it would have taken all night

the network card in the PC must be a 10m/bit card doh!!!

i do have a 100m/bit one somewhere lol

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Playing it remotely from your PC HDD might work on a 10/100 card.

The SS2 records in mpeg2 format, like all DVB transmissions. It produces standard .mpg files, and as I say, works just fine :)

Haven't tried an AVI (yet!)

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
Playing it remotely from your PC HDD might work on a 10/100 card.

The SS2 records in mpeg2 format, like all DVB transmissions. It produces standard .mpg files, and as I say, works just fine :)

Haven't tried an AVI (yet!)

I have dropped various mpg files onto DB hdd
e.g.
- captured on Apple as .dv files using Hollywood Dazzle then mpegged using Bitvice
- captured as .ts file on PC using Hauppauge DEC2000T and converted to .mpg a la recipe in the sticky
- snuck off DVD and got to .mpg via DVD2AVI etc (e.g. after converting NTSC to PAL)
They all appear
menu -> file -> root -> hdd
and there they are to play at a click of a button.
I am saving time authoring DVDs because I can check the quality and synch on TV of the mpeg by just letting it download and playing.
Dont get anything like as many synch probs with DB as hauppauge. Must be the crap TX standards of the ITV mux.

.wav and .wmv files don't show up so forget 'em.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
RedDevil_UK said:
what file format does you skystar record in though?

i was wondering if there was a media player for the DB that plays mpg and avi files.

another challenge is to play them on the DB/TV downstairs from over the network with the PC upstairs...... straight off the PC hard drive :)

My project over christmas break is to get streaming working round the house through my installed LAN which goes to every room (plus wireless). Its the way to distribute thru rooms. A place I stay at in London was refurbed with TV distributed from a central server (incl Nokia multi-tuner freeview) with chnnels selecetd from a shiny Sony PC(AV). The only problem is that the Sony software "GigaPocket" or something forgettable like that (attopocket would be better) plus Nokia is the most crashable, flaky, crappy system I have ever seen. It cost many thousands. The principle is super; distribute best quality TV via 100Mbps ethernet, using only a fraction of bandwidth. Sony managed to trash it.

2nd question above:
I suppose it saves a bit of time if you can start playing on DB the moment you start shipping from PC. But it only takes 16 mins to ship a whole movie to PC via 100Mbps cable. I could wait that long for it to upload. I would spend 15 mins giving her indoors a bit of attention.
And as you know, from your PC upstairs, you can play god (little g) by changing channels and doing other things on the DB downstairs by logging in to DB's webpage. Even send a message "Coming dear" when she shouts up for you.
But I'll do a test. I'll ship a movie file back to hdd and see whether I have to wait till the end of upload to start playing off DB hdd. I suspect I will have to, cos the file wont be handled like a pause and catch-up TX movie.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Tried AVI movies. It didn't want to know.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
Even send a message "Coming dear" when she shouts up for you.
afraid she wont see that watching terra TV... coronation street and eastenders... :rolleyes: wimin!!

wont play AVI files... ahh well thats that sorted :) the overall picture is good though... the DB plays plenty to keep us all happy :)

PS. AVI files DivX,XviD etc etc... might be a fancy media player out there linux style that works eh!

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
RedDevil_UK said:
afraid she wont see that watching terra TV... coronation street and eastenders... :rolleyes: wimin!!

wont play AVI files... ahh well thats that sorted :) the overall picture is good though... the DB plays plenty to keep us all happy :)

PS. AVI files DivX,XviD etc etc... might be a fancy media player out there linux style that works eh!

Its not too hard to convert avi files to mpg that will play on DB. One extra step. TMPGEnc ->

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
haggard said:
But I'll do a test. I'll ship a movie file back to hdd and see whether I have to wait till the end of upload to start playing off DB hdd. I suspect I will have to, cos the file wont be handled like a pause and catch-up TX movie.
Tried this tonight. Recorded the footy on my PC, then shipped it to the DB with FTP.

Couldn't wait for it to finish, so started watching it on the DB before it was half transferred. Worked a treat! ... actually, it got a little pixel-happy once or twice, but no biggie.

Quite handy for me, 'cos with wireless link, it can take longer to transfer than to watch live - so I had to give it half a gig head start!

STICK