My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
Hi guys, I am a total novice as far as motorised systems go, I've been reading up on advice you have been giving others and I am totally lost, everyone seems to know what they are talking about, except me. :rolleyes: .

The thing is I live just outside Belfast Northern Ireland. At the moment I have a sky digital dish fixed to the wall and a 2CI oGBSat receiver, I can receive most of the fta channels on Astra 2 and if I move the dish I can receive German, spanish and italian channels. My question is, is it worth my while trying to motorise my dish (My receiver is diseqc 1.2 and USALS compatible). I know if I manually move the dish, the channels are out there, but that is a total pain.

I haven't got all the fancy equipment and I didn't really want to shell out on any other receivers or dishes until I am up and running and know exactly what I am doing, I just wanted to play around with what I have for a while.

I have been onto ebay, but don't know what motor to go for. That's where you guys come into the picture (pardon the pun O-Ha ). Is it worth my while getting a motor? If so can anyone tell me which type to go for? Thanx ever so much.

All this talk of Lat and Long and moving your dish due south is baffling me big time. I couldn't tell you where my dish is pointing, (all I know is I'm always up a ladder turning it, and the neighbours are starting to give me funny looks), oh by the way, did I mention I may need help on that matter also.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
T-E-E-N-A said:
Hi guys, I am a total novice as far as motorised systems go, I've been reading up on advice you have been giving others and I am totally lost, everyone seems to know what they are talking about, except me. :rolleyes: .

The thing is I live just outside Belfast Northern Ireland. At the moment I have a sky digital dish fixed to the wall and a 2CI oGBSat receiver, I can receive most of the fta channels on Astra 2 and if I move the dish I can receive German, spanish and italian channels. My question is, is it worth my while trying to motorise my dish (My receiver is diseqc 1.2 and USALS compatible). I know if I manually move the dish, the channels are out there, but that is a total pain.

I haven't got all the fancy equipment and I didn't really want to shell out on any other receivers or dishes until I am up and running and know exactly what I am doing, I just wanted to play around with what I have for a while.

I have been onto ebay, but don't know what motor to go for. That's where you guys come into the picture (pardon the pun O-Ha ). Is it worth my while getting a motor? If so can anyone tell me which type to go for? Thanx ever so much.

All this talk of Lat and Long and moving your dish due south is baffling me big time. I couldn't tell you where my dish is pointing, (all I know is I'm always up a ladder turning it, and the neighbours are starting to give me funny looks), oh by the way, did I mention I may need help on that matter also.

Hi Teena
Welcome to the forum.Of course its worthwhile getting a motor. A H to H motor i find is the easiest to install. You will also need to upgrade your dish and will need some cams and cards. You can get the cams and cards later when your all set up. Read through the forums to get a view on what to expect. We will all help you out here.

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
john_graydon said:
Hi Teena
Welcome to the forum.Of course its worthwhile getting a motor. A H to H motor i find is the easiest to install. You will also need to upgrade your dish and will need some cams and cards. You can get the cams and cards later when your all set up. Read through the forums to get a view on what to expect. We will all help you out here.

Thanx for the reply John, firstly what I want to do is get a decent motor, nothing too expensive, then when I get my head around that, I will upgrade my dish, I wanted to stay with my receiver for the time being as it is pretty good, I think. http://www.fmdigitals.co.uk/index.html?mainFrame=http%3A//www.fmdigitals.co.uk/receivers/gbsat-2ci0-sat-receiver.htm, it has two cams, but I won't get into that side of things yet as I don't want to confuse myself further. So basically what I'm looking for is a horizon to horizon motor.

:ny

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
T-E-E-N-A said:
Thanx for the reply John, firstly what I want to do is get a decent motor, nothing too expensive, then when I get my head around that, I will upgrade my dish, I wanted to stay with my receiver for the time being as it is pretty good, I think. http://www.fmdigitals.co.uk/index.html?mainFrame=http%3A//www.fmdigitals.co.uk/receivers/gbsat-2ci0-sat-receiver.htm, it has two cams, but I won't get into that side of things yet as I don't want to confuse myself further. So basically what I'm looking for is a horizon to horizon motor.

:ny

Yes that would be ok. Place in donegal that does sat stuff or they are cheap ones going in the buy & sell. Look on the net for them.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
This is the jump we all made at some point, ...fixed dish on SKY to motorised.
It seems like a big jump, but is not that hard. To get the best from a motorised dish it will need to be at least 80cm.

After that the next jump then is a card and cam, and to set aside some time to have a read.

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
Razor said:
This is the jump we all made at some point, ...fixed dish on SKY to motorised.
It seems like a big jump, but is not that hard. To get the best from a motorised dish it will need to be at least 80cm.

After that the next jump then is a card and cam, and to set aside some time to have a read.

I can't believe I haven't found out about these motors before, it seems like a great idea. I was reading on a website earlier, trying to read up on the whole diseqc thing and the person on there selling motors was saying that he won't sell diseqc motors as they are far too slow, plus they slip and slide and sometimes cannot be attached properly, he is only selling 36v motors and anyone with a diseqc receiver will have to buy a v box. But I'm gonna stick with you guys and your advice, as I have the impression he is just trying to make more money, what do you guys think?

I was looking through ebay earlier and came across this http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/21/bf/bf_1.JPG

New Satellite motor Disecq & GotoX compatible

Supports dishes up to 80 cms
Supports GotoX
Supports Disecq 1.2
Comes with a dish mount
Strong and very wind proof
Brand new
No more information on the make and model, but I've emailed him asking him all the details.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
T-E-E-N-A said:
I can't believe I haven't found out about these motors before, it seems like a great idea. I was reading on a website earlier, trying to read up on the whole diseqc thing and the person on there selling motors was saying that he won't sell diseqc motors as they are far too slow, plus they slip and slide and sometimes cannot be attached properly, he is only selling 36v motors and anyone with a diseqc receiver will have to buy a v box. But I'm gonna stick with you guys and your advice, as I have the impression he is just trying to make more money, what do you guys think?

I was looking through ebay earlier and came across this http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/21/bf/bf_1.JPG

New Satellite motor Disecq & GotoX compatible

Supports dishes up to 80 cms
Supports GotoX
Supports Disecq 1.2
Comes with a dish mount
Strong and very wind proof
Brand new
No more information on the make and model, but I've emailed him asking him all the details.
and the person on there selling motors was saying that he won't sell diseqc motors as they are far too slow, plus they slip and slide and sometimes cannot be attached properly, he is only selling 36v motors and anyone with a diseqc receiver will have to buy a v box.
That's a load of rubbish. A diseqc motor properly installed will easily accommodate an 80cm dish. He just wants to rip people off.

Llew

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
Llew said:
That's a load of rubbish. A diseqc motor properly installed will easily accommodate an 80cm dish. He just wants to rip people off.

Llew

This item on ebay is not the fella who was slagging off diseqc motors, this is just an item I wanted you guys to give me your opinion on before I go and buy a load of junk.

I've just installed a sky minidish for my sister who lives 3 doors down from me, I plugged in my 2ci o gbsat receiver and scanned for channels, she can get all the fta channels including itv3, I have the exact same dish and can't get some of the channels she can get. I'm seriously thinking of setting fire to this dish LOL. I used to have a 1M dish and got rid of it thinking it was old fashioned compared to the sky minidishes, what a fool I was. Can anyone give me any idea what I am looking for in a dish and what kind of lnb please, keeping in mind I live in Northern Ireland, saying that if my sis can get quite a lot of channels on an 80 cm dish then the area is quite good for reception. Sorry for going on a bit, but I want to get this right, plus I want to be the envy of my neighbours LOL. ({})

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
T-E-E-N-A said:
This item on ebay is not the fella who was slagging off diseqc motors, this is just an item I wanted you guys to give me your opinion on before I go and buy a load of junk.

I've just installed a sky minidish for my sister who lives 3 doors down from me, I plugged in my 2ci o gbsat receiver and scanned for channels, she can get all the fta channels including itv3, I have the exact same dish and can't get some of the channels she can get. I'm seriously thinking of setting fire to this dish LOL. I used to have a 1M dish and got rid of it thinking it was old fashioned compared to the sky minidishes, what a fool I was. Can anyone give me any idea what I am looking for in a dish and what kind of lnb please, keeping in mind I live in Northern Ireland, saying that if my sis can get quite a lot of channels on an 80 cm dish then the area is quite good for reception. Sorry for going on a bit, but I want to get this right, plus I want to be the envy of my neighbours LOL. ({})

If only you kept your 1mt dish. Try looking around in the B&S there is always something there, There is a new HH motor for sale there too.

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
john_graydon said:
If only you kept your 1mt dish. Try looking around in the B&S there is always something there, There is a new HH motor for sale there too.

I will John thanks, my only problem being I have absolutely no patience, I want everything yesterday, LOL. Fingers crossed.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That particular DiseqC motor only covers a 60 degree arc, you need to go for something like the Moteck SG-2100 for a 90 degree arc.

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
rolfw said:
That particular DiseqC motor only covers a 60 degree arc, you need to go for something like the Moteck SG-2100 for a 90 degree arc.

Cheers Rolf, that's a great help ;)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
T-E-E-N-A said:

I wasn't commenting on the ebay item - I'm sure he has a good reason to sell his motor.
Anyway, good luck and hope you find what you need. :)

Llew

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
I have my eye on a couple of sg 2100 motors on ebay, now the thing is I have a fixed Sky digital dish 80cm, which picks up the usual Astra 1 and Astra 2 FTA channels, which are boring. I was going to try to motorise this dish, but to me that is a waste of time, as I have been up and down a ladder turning this thing and I can't seem to get any other satellites, I used to be able to get all the German channels, but they were on Astra 1. Now before I get a motor I think it's best if I get a good dish. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of dish, a friend of mine says she has a dish on her wall I can have, hopefully it isn't sky digital. I hate to sound stupid here, but here goes :rolleyes:, if it is a round dish, around 80 - 100 cm will that be ok? (That does sound stupid, but my dish at the moment is the oval type). Does it really matter what type of lnb you have? What is best 0.3db 0.4db 0.5db 0.6db ? Plus if you turn the dish left and right, should it be able to pick up the other satellites or will I have to tilt it up? As I said I've done this with my Sky dish which is picking up nothing but Astra btw it has a Grundig Lnb. My receiver is a good one compared to others I've seen (My sister bought hers from Lidl 3 days ago, a COMAG SL55 for around £45 I think, but mine is much better, I can find more channels) and it is USALS and diseqc compatible.
f6_1_b.JPG

Sorry for the long winded post, but I don't want to buy a motor until I have my dish right. Thanx to all of you who are taking the time to help me.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
T-E-E-N-A said:
Sky digital dish 80cm, which picks up the usual Astra 1 and Astra 2 FTA channels, which are boring. I was going to try to motorise this dish, but to me that is a waste of time, as I have been up and down a ladder turning this thing and I can't seem to get any other satellites, I used to be able to get all the German channels, but they were on Astra 1

Many people have motorised an 80cm with success, it depends on what other sats you might want whether you need to grow your dish size. From your previous posts it looks like you've been interested in stuff from 19.2E Astra 1 and 28.2E Astra 2, there's lots of FTA on 13E too. 80cm should cope with these from your location I think. Rather than go the whole motor route you could buy a second lnb, to get both 19.E (Astra 1) and 13E (Hotbird) on the 80cm dish and use a minidish for 28.2E and run the whole lot through a 4way diseqc switch - I suggest this because its what I'm currently planning to do!

-cts

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
T-E-E-N-A said:
Sorry for the long winded post, but I don't want to buy a motor until I have my dish right. Thanx to all of you who are taking the time to help me.

You have to answer yourself some questions about what sats you want to receive before you can choose either a motor/dish. For example if you were interested in 1W sat channels footprints suggest you need at least 1.2M in your location (http://www.1-west.com/). If you want a 1.2M dish you're probably into 36motor teritory which requires something up and above a diseqc receiver to drive it (a receiver with 36V motor drive output or a standalone device to generate 36V position info - like a VBox II). In theory diseqc motors will support dishes upto 1.0M, 1.1M or even 1.2M, I have a triax 1.1M which is solid metal and weighs quite a bit and I personally wouldn't want it hanging off the wall on diseqc mount (currently its under my bed so it doesn't receive much but I also have a 12" 36V jack in the garage to mate it up to when it takes my fancy). Also depends on how exposed your dish is... a 1.2M dish might sit in your back garden sheltered from the wind, in which case you might "risk" a diseqc drive....

So the base question is what sats do you want to receive? From there you can work out your required dish and thus what type of motor to go for....

Cheers

CTS

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
T-E-E-N-A said:
0.3db 0.4db 0.5db 0.6db ?

PS - in theory 0.3 is better, I beleive this is the noise figure, the lower the figure the lower the noise, hence higher the gain. You'll notice the lower the figure the more expensive the LNB is, although I recently got a HUMAX 0.3db from ebay for about £14.50 inc P&P... (http://tinyurl.com/6qf3v)

CtS

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I picked up an nearly new MTI Blue Line 0.6db LNB (excellent results from this) for a quid off eBay a few weeks back!