Please help me new to sky didge

digital baby

Reaction score
Hi all, having serious problems with $ky! )(-red I have tried subscribing to them, having never used them before, (i used to have cable but now where i live digital cable is not an option)
I rang there enquiry line to have sky fitted, first off i was told they needed a credit card, i said fine but i want to pay it by DD, sky said no credit card or nothing! :mad: fine i gave them my credit card details, they sent me out the standard contract for me to sign and fill in, i sent it back... 5 weeks go by... nothing!
Irate i call sky again.... this time i got told by some half assed woman ( sorry if this offends but she was half assed) that i ALREADY had sky, and that my second subscription would not be honoured, at this point i was ready to start screaming down the phone, i told her that that yes i was trying to subscribe filled out the forms and sent them back and that sky already had my credit card details.... at this point she said she would call me back while they looked into the problem..... 9 days later i had a call back from sky and they told me that due to unforseen circumstances that i would have to start all over again.. so i said right fine gave them all the usual details, at this point i said i will pay for the installation by credit card but the monthly payments i want made by DD, sky said not possible.
Yet a friend of mine has sky NO bank account and No credit card, he pays by monthly bill, after 12 weeks of wrangling sky said i failed the credit check, what the hell is going on??? I can get almost anything on credit.... besides i was told Sky dont do a credit check, any one got similar problems?????

Otherwise i am stuck with boreview, sorry i mean freeview

DB O-Ha

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Easiest way around this is to use a local installer, he'll send off for the card and when you receive it he will bring round and install the box. They do not normally require a credit card or any financial details until that time, the contract also has a direct debit option (or at least it did until fairly recently).

digital baby

Reaction score
Thanx Rolf....
I decided to play it 'dumb' and rang sky's installation line.
A very nice lady told me that sky do NO credit check. They apologised for the way i was spoken too and as a gesture of 'good-will' they have waived half of the £1 installation fee.
'nice of them' i thought but hey i aint gonna complain I have sky!
its being fitted in two weeks.
So as i am pretty knowledgeable on DTT i hope to become as smart as all the people in this forum with regards to sky. One quick question though what the hell does AFAIK mean?
also i have one last favour to ask.... are there any free to air channels in English that can be picked up doing a manual tune???

thanx in advance

DB )(-red

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Glad to hear you've got it sorted DB, AFAIK is an acronym for As Far As I Know, took me a while to work out originally. :)

With regard to the FTA channels in English, most if not all of the English language ones on Astra 28.2 are in the EPG and there are not many available by moving the dish either.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I would always use a local installer where possible (like geographical locations allowing). You can go to the shop, talk to them, phone them and get your problems sorted. If you do that DB then this)(-red will become this :D

Best of luck

digital baby

Reaction score
Thanx all for your help, great things these forum's so thanks for all the help you guyz!

DB O-Ha