Please help! Want to watch russian tv.

deardai

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
My Location
SE London
Hi guys!
Have absolutely no experience with the satellite tv appart of reading some bits and peaces on the forums for the last few days, so have no idea where to start.
I know there are some free of charge russian channnels availible via the satellite. What sort of dish and receiver do I need? Also I know that some people installing the satellite systems themselves. How difficult it is? Or is it better to get a professional to install it? I'm living in a block of flats.
Any advice appreciated.

With regards,

dai

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are a few channels on Hotbird 13 East, you will need a 60cm dish in London and any digital receiver. Installing it is quite straightforward, easier if you have a cheap satellite meter. :)

If you are in a block of flats, you may be able to attach the dish to a balcony.

deardai

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
My Location
SE London
Thanks for the reply rolfw.
I haven't got a balcony unfortunately. The only solution is a roof probably. It's a 4 storey building and I live on the first floor, wouldn't like to hang that cable loosereally. As I said I am a complete newbie, so here is a couple of stupid questions: what's the satellite meter and how do I point a dish to satellite?

Thanks,
dai

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If it's a four storey building, then you may have problems with someone installing on the roof, but if you are on the first floor, you could perhaps put one on the wall.

deardai

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
My Location
SE London
It seems that all my neighbours dishes are on the roof, so hopefully there won't be a problem with mine. Could you give any reccomendations on the receivers please?

With regards,
dai

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you are after Fre to Air channels, then literally any digital receiver will do, the MVision is a nice budget receiver at £70.

deardai

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
My Location
SE London
Another question rolfw. Is there any HD channels on Hotbird 13 if so, then I need HD receiver too, right? Which one would you recomend then?

Regards,
dai

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes there are, but none of it will be free to air http://www.lyngsat.com/hd/hotbird.html

I have no knowledge of HD receivers I'm afraid, but have a look at the HD section below, there should be information on most of the new ones. :)

deardai

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
My Location
SE London
Thanks a lot for your help rolfw!:-worship
I''ll try to dig out some more information on HD, I don't mind paying if it's not too ridiculous.

Regards'
dai