PLease Help with SATLOOK NIT Analyser

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Hi, I have installed many dishes for friends using a standard BER meter. I have now bought a Satlook Digital-NIT spectrum analyser incase my dish moves.

A friend has a large dish which is not getting BBC1 etc and I am going to try and re-align it for him. The problem is I have read the manual many times but it makes no sense. I think the problem is that it has been translated into English word for word, so whilst it is in English it makes no sense (either that or I am completely thick).

What I would like help with, is what settings/info should you set/look for when doing a sweep to find the satellite, then what various settings are you then looking at to fine align, then adjust the skew. There is so many settings/info but the manual doesn't tell you which order to use things and what setting is best for what.

So to ramble on. Please help me if you can and give as much detail as you can.

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Go Here To download the manual in English. I will be back on later if you have any questions.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
DishDick said:
A friend has a large dish which is not getting BBC1 etc and I am going to try and re-align it for him.

What I would like help with, is what settings/info should you set/look for when doing a sweep to find the satellite,

If your friend already has Astra 2 then you will not need to sweep to find the satellite. Connection to the LNB will allow you to peak the dish position, and maybe improve the gain by adjustment of the reflector surface and alignment of the feed to the surface of the dish.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Sorry, I think I needed to be more specific. Page 6 of manual says "It is less accurate when trying to find a satellite and adjusting the cross-polarisation.
Therefore, start with finding the "right" satellite with the spectrum function."
How do I do that? As I sweep will the display quickly lock onto the data and show Astra 28.2 (I.e under lock time)?

On the QPSK there is 4 screens, I know the idea is to concentrate the dots together in the centre, but of the four displays is one more important than the others?

Please clarify if I have this right

Order of set up:
1) Find sat using Spectrum function
2) Skew LNB using max zoom in function (does it matter which frequency I choose and if skewed for max reception on one bird is it maxed for all 4 birds, and does stage 3 upset this skew meaning it will need to be checked again after stage 3?)
3) Fine align dish using QPSK.

Thanks

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
DishDick said:
3) Fine align dish using QPSK.

This function comes into play the moment you have locked into a particular bouquet (frequency that has an active transponder).

Since you already have the satellite located, the tuning bar can be scrolled onto any of the transponders (and pressing 7 gets a signal tone that can be used to peak the dish and the feed).

Pressing 2 gets the QPSK function up and running, which has a BER graph at the base of the screen. This has to be as lower figure as possible, meaning the errors are minimised, and the best signal to noise ratio is achieved.