Please, illuminate me !

grosbill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sat : None yet
PC : PIII 533
My Location
Portugal
Just started learning about this satelite stuff, and there's something that I just don't understand. Imagine I'm looking for a easy way to receive and successfully decode TV CABO channels (On Hispasat).

I dont' understand the need for CAM's...

For instance :
You can buy a KAON KSF-570 (FTA, no CI or Flash whatsoever), or, you can buy a KAON KSC-570 (FTA also, but with 2 CI), and far more expensive.
Both are, as you surely know, upgradable by RS232..

My question is :
Why bother investing on a KSC-570 with Common Interface, if you can achieve exatcly the same with a KSF-570 ?!
Unless there are some other advantages at using CAM's wich I don't know about...

Can somebody tell me exactly why is it better (Thus, more expensive) to use CAM's...

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
If you only want to watch what the 'patch' will let you then obviously the cheaper option is better. If however you are a realist and believe that one day the patch maker/supplier may end up being arrested and thrown in the dungeons then you have a fall back plan and another way to obtain those same programs. Or if you just want more flexibility and you have a pocket big enough get what you can afford regarding cams etc. Although be warned there are no guarantees with this hobby however much money you throw at it. The situation changes on a daily basis and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. If you want to take a gamble on the cheap option to see if you like it then do so but if that option disappears then you are stuck with an FTA receiver.

grosbill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sat : None yet
PC : PIII 533
My Location
Portugal
toppervte33h said:
If you only want to watch what the 'patch' will let you then obviously the cheaper option is better. If however you are a realist and believe that one day the patch maker/supplier may end up being arrested and thrown in the dungeons then you have a fall back plan and another way to obtain those same programs. Or if you just want more flexibility and you have a pocket big enough get what you can afford regarding cams etc. Although be warned there are no guarantees with this hobby however much money you throw at it. The situation changes on a daily basis and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. If you want to take a gamble on the cheap option to see if you like it then do so but if that option disappears then you are stuck with an FTA receiver.

Thank you, I'll certainly go for the CAM, if the difference isn't too big...